[RESOLVED] Question to Advanced Configuration

Any issues, problems or troubleshooting topics related to the Prepar3D client application.
JorgenSA

[RESOLVED] Question to Advanced Configuration

Post by JorgenSA »

After upgrading to v. 4.4, I was changing settings in Prepar3D.CFG according to the instructions in Advanced Configuration, found here: https://www.prepar3d.com/SDKv4/prepar3d ... ation.html. I have the SDK v. 4.4 installed.

One of those settings puzzles me. I set TEXTURE_MAX_LOAD to 6 in the [DISPLAY] section. Then I ran P3D and flew around a bit. Now, when I looked at Prepar3D.CFG, the TEXTURE_MAX_LOAD=6 was still in the [DISPLAY} section, but in the {GRAPHICS] section, TEXTURE_MAX_LOAD=1024 had been added.

This seems more than a little bit odd to me, and in direct contradiction to the Advanced Configuration guide.

Can you please look into this?

Thanks -

Jorgen
System: i5-12600K@4.9 GHz, ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-I motherboard, 32 GB 4800 MHz DDR5 RAM, Gainward RTX 3060 w/ 12 GB DDR6 VRAM, Windows 10 Pro.

All views and opinions expressed here are entirely my own. I am not a Lockheed-Martin employee.
BG2518

Re: Question to Advanced Configuration

Post by BG2518 »

JorgenSA

Post by JorgenSA »

Interesting! I am checking that out as I write this, more later.

Jorgen
System: i5-12600K@4.9 GHz, ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-I motherboard, 32 GB 4800 MHz DDR5 RAM, Gainward RTX 3060 w/ 12 GB DDR6 VRAM, Windows 10 Pro.

All views and opinions expressed here are entirely my own. I am not a Lockheed-Martin employee.
JorgenSA

Post by JorgenSA »

Adding TextureMaxLoad=9 in the [DISPLAY] section, with TEXTURE_MAX_LOAD=4096 in the [GRAPHICS] section, gave a marked improvement in the sharpness of buildings, trees etc. on the ground - definitely a keeper.

I will have to try that in my FSX also and see what happens there.

Jorgen

Beau Hollis
Lockheed Martin

Post by Beau Hollis »

As documented, the entry to add should be TextureMaxLoad, not TEXTURE_MAX_LOAD.
[Display]
TextureMaxLoad=6
This is the max number of textures to load onto the GPU per frame. Increasing will help textures make it onto the GPU faster, but increasing this too much could introduce stutters.

The is another entry in the [Graphics] section called "TEXTURE_MAX_LOAD" which is the max texture resolution we load (512, 1024, 2048, 4096). This one is controlled via a UI slider and thus is not mentioned in the advanced configuration article.

Hope that clears it up.

Thanks,
Beau Hollis
Prepar3D Software Architect
JorgenSA

Re: [RESOLVED] Question to Advanced Configuration

Post by JorgenSA »

Thanks for the clarification, Beau.

Could you get someone to update the Advanced Configuration page mentioned earlier to reflect this?

Thanks -

Jorgen

Beau Hollis
Lockheed Martin

Re: [RESOLVED] Question to Advanced Configuration

Post by Beau Hollis »

The advanced configuration page already contains the correct information about [Display] TextureMaxLoad:
http://www.prepar3d.com/SDKv4/prepar3d/ ... ml#Display

There is no need to add information about [Graphics] TEXTURE_MAX_LOAD because that is used for the Texture Resolution UI setting which is documented with the display settings here:
http://www.prepar3d.com/SDKv4/prepar3d/ ... ageTexture

Thanks
Beau Hollis
Prepar3D Software Architect