Lack of ozone contribution in EA sky

Any issues, problems or troubleshooting topics related to the Prepar3D client application.
dreamer_toons

Re: Lack of ozone contribution in EA sky

Post by dreamer_toons »

Thanks for the tweak and I’ll like to try it out.

After I replaced the original code with the tweaked ones, I was unable to save the file in it’s original fx extension. It prompts me to save as a txt instead.

Please enlighten me on how to work around this. Thanks
jgoggi

Post by jgoggi »

Hi,
After v5.3, with EA ON, most sceneries have the issue reported in the link below (screenshot), where many objects are not covered by the haze. Is it possible to modify any shaders parameters in order to fix this issue?
Thanks.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/tk1weo25zkbtbgb/EA.JPG?dl=0
cjibbotson

Post by cjibbotson »

jgoggi wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 3:42 pm Hi,
After v5.3, with EA ON, most sceneries have the issue reported in the link below (screenshot), where many objects are not covered by the haze. Is it possible to modify any shaders parameters in order to fix this issue?
Thanks.

Yes James as you know I too have been experiencing this also in v5, but only through Legacy Clouds (Default or REX Textures).
It happens at a wide range of airports from MK Studios, UK2000 and Orbx. Google searches also reveal other developers are guilty of not fixing their textures to account for alpha blending or zBias changes LM have made. It happens with EA ON or OFF but only legacy clouds / haze. Default weather or Active Sky too, the various fog layer options in the sim or Active Sky enabled or disabled had no effect either.

You also know that Beau Hollis provided a temp workaround in v5.1 with manual edits of the "FuncLibrary.fxh" file in the ShadersHLSL folder.
The problem returned in v5.2 and the 'fix' no longer worked, it prevented any shaders from working and displayed black screens. The FuncLibrary.fxh file was changed by LM, the same with 5.3 onwards but the cloud masking problem still exists. It is fine for me when using EA and Volumetric Clouds but that has brought with it a noticeable increase in DXGI Device Hung crashes despite only using 3.6 out of 10.1GB on my 1080ti or having no performance problems at all at the time during tests. I do have a video which I shot with my phone of my sim but do not know how to share it here without uploading it to my Youtube account. It also does it with default shaders or Envshade.

Images below for example at EIDW (MK Studios) and EGCC (UK2000). It also happens on tests at LOWI and EGNX (both Orbx)

Whilst I increasingly like Vol Clouds I do not like the increased crashes so may have to consider returning to legacy clouds - but not with this visual problem with objects showing on top of the clouds. I wish someone like BIOLOGICALNANOBOT had a workaround on the shader controller file.

Regards

Chris Ibbotson
BiologicalNanobot

Post by BiologicalNanobot »

dreamer_toons wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 6:06 am Thanks for the tweak and I’ll like to try it out.

After I replaced the original code with the tweaked ones, I was unable to save the file in it’s original fx extension. It prompts me to save as a txt instead.

Please enlighten me on how to work around this. Thanks
Hi,

This sounds like you are not running Notepad (or whatever text editor you are using) as administrator. Could you try again by running it as administrator?
BiologicalNanobot

jgoggi wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 3:42 pm Hi,
Thanks.

Hi,

I have fixed this issue in the new version of the tweak, you can refer to the post below for more information.
BiologicalNanobot

Hi,

A new version of the Enhanced Atmospherics sky and cloud ozone tweak is finally ready. Be noted that the mod is only compatible with Prepar3D v5.3 HF1 + Update.

Changelog:

- Added separate controls for sky & cloud brightness, saturation and ozone levels during day, twilight and night - these controls can be found in FuncLibrary.fxh between lines 546-568. Be noted that after changing these values, you should clear your shader cache by deleting %localappdata%/Lockheed Martin/Prepar3D v5/Shaders folder and restart Prepar3D.
- Added tweak for 2D cloud coloration
- Fixed an issue where some objects (especially airport objects) would not blend with this modification properly

Installation Instructions:

1. Go to your Prepar3D v5 main folder/ShadersHLSL, find FuncLibrary.fxh, DeferredComposite.fx, Cloud.fx files and create a backup for them.
2. Open the files mentioned in step 1 using a text editor, and replace the contents of them with the respective codes provided below.
3. Clear your shader cache by deleting %localappdata%/Lockheed Martin/Prepar3D v5/Shaders folder.

Here are the links for the codes:

FuncLibrary.fxh: https://controlc.com/ff9c5c12
DeferredComposite.fx: https://controlc.com/0f209599
Cloud.fx: https://controlc.com/a652b240
BiologicalNanobot

I would also like to request a feature for the upcoming P3D update (P3D v5.3 HF2 presumably) once again - more controls for Enhanced Atmospherics being exposed through VolumetricClouds.cfg (or some other) file. I really hope LM hears me in that regard. I am really grateful for the work LM has done for P3D, but this (along with really ugly sky colors at high altitudes) still remains a major issue with Enhanced Atmospherics after more than one and a half year since P3D v5 release.

Exposing variables for sky colors and sky light would allow users and developers to take advantage of them by adjusting sky colors and lighting according to different weather conditions and different regions.

Here are some variables (taken from https://docs.simul.co/Tutorials/Sky/skyvariables.html) that I believe would be really helpful:

- Planet Radius
- Atmosphere Thickness
- Ozone
- Emissivity
- Rayleigh Coefficient

Thanks in advance.
BAWV12

Post by BAWV12 »

BiologicalNanoBot :
You are genius ! Results with 2D clouds are amazing !
Big Thank You.
Henrik2k17

Post by Henrik2k17 »

BiologicalNanobot wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 1:56 pm I would also like to request a feature for the upcoming P3D update (P3D v5.3 HF2 presumably) once again - more controls for Enhanced Atmospherics being exposed through VolumetricClouds.cfg (or some other) file. I really hope LM hears me in that regard. I am really grateful for the work LM has done for P3D, but this (along with really ugly sky colors at high altitudes) still remains a major issue with Enhanced Atmospherics after more than one and a half year since P3D v5 release.

Exposing variables for sky colors and sky light would allow users and developers to take advantage of them by adjusting sky colors and lighting according to different weather conditions and different regions.

Here are some variables (taken from https://docs.simul.co/Tutorials/Sky/skyvariables.html) that I believe would be really helpful:

- Planet Radius
- Atmosphere Thickness
- Ozone
- Emissivity
- Rayleigh Coefficient

Thanks in advance.
+1
A seperate cfg like the VolumetricClouds.cfg but for atmosphere variables would be greatly appreciated.
jgoggi

Post by jgoggi »

Really a GENIUS!! You should be hired by LM as Main Programmer!
I was about to modify many sceneries with Model Converter X in order not to have objects shining through the haze, but now everything is ok!!! Thank you very much!!!
The only remaining problem are objects still visible through low clouds, for example SODE trees on Drzewiecki Design EPKK or EPWA sceneries, or other objects as reported above by Chris.
BAWV12

Post by BAWV12 »

Short test flight with this amazing mod :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0RjewymaTOQ
BAWV12

Post by BAWV12 »

I made another test flight and found this problem with low haze :

This brown haze disappeared 2 minutes later.
I use ActiveSky build 8042.
cjibbotson

Post by cjibbotson »

jgoggi wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 6:39 pm Really a GENIUS!! You should be hired by LM as Main Programmer!
I was about to modify many sceneries with Model Converter X in order not to have objects shining through the haze, but now everything is ok!!! Thank you very much!!!
The only remaining problem are objects still visible through low clouds, for example SODE trees on Drzewiecki Design EPKK or EPWA sceneries, or other objects as reported above by Chris.
Damn I was starting to get excited this issue had finally been fixed. I cannot use the sim with so many objects showing through clouds. I had resorted to using volumetric clouds but have had a huge amount of DXGI crashes since making the switch despite not having performance or vram issues on my 1080ti. Ive written large posts on both Prepar3d facebook groups over the weekend about being at the stage where I think I should give up on the sim as I have had enough of its problems. Had thought I had it sorted only to see another DXGI crash occured an hour after I went to bed last night.

I dont know if its an EA problem, Volumetric Cloud problem, Windows 11 problem or a v5.3+ problem or dare I say a problem with the original mod provided on this thread, though Im not sure if I tested on default. I dont sim much but have certainly noticed a hugh increase in crashes despite being aware for years of all the known tips to help reduce them.

Chris
BiologicalNanobot

BAWV12 wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 7:12 pm I made another test flight and found this problem with low haze :

This brown haze disappeared 2 minutes later.
I use ActiveSky build 8042.
Hi,

This is because fog is still not taking ozone contribution into account, I will update the mod soon to include fog too.
BAWV12

Post by BAWV12 »

OK, thx.