Upgrading 4.5 to 5.2 (Best Option?)

Any issues, problems or troubleshooting topics related to installing the Prepar3D client application or it's installer.
vafpilot

Upgrading 4.5 to 5.2 (Best Option?)

Post by vafpilot »

Hello,

I am wanting to upgrade (purchase) to P3D v5.2 and would like to know the best way to do so?

I literally have over a hundred airport addons and multiple utility programs I am currently using with v4.5 HF3 and would like to install v5.2 on a separate drive. I just don't know how it will work if I have P3D v4.5 on one hard drive (C:) and I install v5.2 on another drive (D:).

For example, will I be able to run 5.2 on another drive and still use my current installation of Active Sky? Or, can I use 4.5 on one flight and then 5.2 on another (in cases where there is no option for 5.2 addon)?

OR should I install 5.2 on the same drive as 4.5?

At this point it seems most of the addons I currently have are available in 5.2 with either a small upgrade fee or free to use with 5.2. I think I'm ready to start the conversion but would like to make sure I go about it correctly to save any frustration or down time.

Thanks.
Will Thomas
Martyson

Re: Upgrading 4.5 to 5.2 (Best Option?)

Post by Martyson »

@ vafpilot ,
Will Thomas

You can install P3Dv5 on any drive.

In my case I have :
D:\Prepar3D v4
D:\Prepar3D v5

For any Add-on configuration concerns check with your Add-on developers first.

Note;
Test P3Dv5 in its default state and make sure it works well on your setup before adding any Add-ons.

If all is ok then add one Add-on at a time and test it before adding another Add-on.

Helpful links:

Checksum , verify it:
Downloading Problems. Confirming the MD5 Checksum (by poppet)
https://www.prepar3d.com/forum/viewtopi ... 3&t=126465

Downloading and Installing Prepar3D:
https://www.prepar3d.com/forum/viewtopi ... 2&t=120676

P3D Refund Policy:
https://www.prepar3d.com/support/refundpolicy/
Best Regards,
Vaughan Martell PP-ASEL (KDTW)
mpni

Post by mpni »

Hi
In addition to these informations from Martyson, if necessary, you can also have a look at the minimum system requirements:
https://www.prepar3d.com/system-requirements/
Regards
Michel
vafpilot

Post by vafpilot »

Thank you both very much for your response.

I'm not sure how Active Sky will work meaning it is currently connected with P3D v4. Can it be setup to work with either?

Sorry for being such a pain with this.

I have a 1TB M.2 SSD and there's enough space to install P3D v5 but if I were to include all of my addons I would only have about 20GB remaining with both v4 and v5 on the same SSD. I have another internal SSD drive connected via cable I was going to use to install v5 and I think I will do that as a test using the suggestion to add one addon at a time and test. If that goes well, I may uninstall v5 and reinstall it to the M.2 drive and eventually remove v4 to free up space.

Thanks for the requirements link. I'm good to go on all accounts except the video card which is at the minimum. Gives me an excuse to start saving for a new GPU ;-)

I very much appreciate your input.
Will Thomas
Martyson

Post by Martyson »

@ vafpilot ,
Will Thomas

You asked:
"I'm not sure how Active Sky will work meaning it is currently connected with P3D v4. Can it be setup to work with either?"

Which Active Sky Product did you purchase?

Have you asked on the Active Sky support forum?
Best Regards,
Vaughan Martell PP-ASEL (KDTW)