This forum is now useless

For all topics that don't fit into another category. Note that we cannot promise that any of these posts will be responded to by our development team.
Geir Haukland

This forum is now useless

Post by Geir Haukland »

Due to all the spams recently, the forum is now ruined, no admins on board to take care of this, sorry guys, but this forum is now ruined.

PLEASE admins, do something about this, we can't have this ruin the forum and the community here, would we?
So step up brothers, lets give those spammers a fight they will remember, kick them out for good!!!
Asus Rog Strix - X570 Gaming - F - Ryzen 5 - 5500 @4.3GHz - Asus NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 OC 12GB - 16GB G.Skill TridentZ NEO@3200 MHz - Corsair CM750-750W - Corsair H100x Watercooling
JorgenSA

Re: This forum is now useless

Post by JorgenSA »

I have repeatedly urged L-M to appoint "someone" to have the authority to remove such spam, also outside normal U.S. Business hours and on the weekends.

It seems that we need such a "someone" urgently. This "someone" should also have the authority to block spammers.

But I can also understand why L-M would want to keep such authority in-house.

Jorgen
System: i5-12600K@4.9 GHz, ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-I motherboard, 32 GB 4800 MHz DDR5 RAM, Gainward RTX 3060 w/ 12 GB DDR6 VRAM, Windows 10 Pro.

All views and opinions expressed here are entirely my own. I am not a Lockheed-Martin employee.
Geir Haukland

Post by Geir Haukland »

JorgenSA wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 7:26 am I have repeatedly urged L-M to appoint "someone" to have the authority to remove such spam, also outside normal U.S. Business hours and on the weekends.

It seems that we need such a "someone" urgently. This "someone" should also have the authority to block spammers.

But I can also understand why L-M would want to keep such authority in-house.

Jorgen
I could not agree more, but this should be addressed soon, much sooner then we know, so L.M. could you please expedite this urgent matter as soon as possible.

Now lets see if they respond. Last night i reported about 40 or 50 spams in here, also reposted some users that did the spaming in here, still no respond there either, also sent a few notes to some admins, no responds there either, as expected tho due to the hours differences. But still, they need someone to keep an eye on the forum and have the authority to remove smap, and also block spammers, so lets see if we get any responds.

Regards
Asus Rog Strix - X570 Gaming - F - Ryzen 5 - 5500 @4.3GHz - Asus NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 OC 12GB - 16GB G.Skill TridentZ NEO@3200 MHz - Corsair CM750-750W - Corsair H100x Watercooling
Martyson

Post by Martyson »

I have suggested:

Registered users could Read posts.
Registered users could post in a General section.

Only Registered Licensed members could create a new topic and reply to existing topics/posts.
Best Regards,
Vaughan Martell PP-ASEL (KDTW)
Geir Haukland

Post by Geir Haukland »

Martyson wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 12:13 pm I have suggested:

Only Registered Licensed members could create a new topic and reply to existing topics/posts.
I second for that option, but when will be implemented in this forum? Its a great suggestion, so count me in on that.
musterpilot

Post by musterpilot »

Geir Haukland wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 12:23 pm

I second for that option, but when will be implemented in this forum? Its a great suggestion, so count me in on that.
Spot on mate fully agree with you
MB Gigabyte Aorus Z690 master CPU i7 12700K @4.6ghz GPU Gigabyte RTX 3080ti Memory 32ghz Corsair DDR5 Vengeance 5200mhz Cooler Noctua NH-D15 with 2 fans Power Supply Corsair HX1000 Case Thremaltake level 20xt Windows 11 64 bit
JorgenSA

Post by JorgenSA »

From time to time I notice, in the line "Registered users" near the bottom of this page, quite a number of names followed by [Bot].

Right now, that line looks like this:

Registered users: Ahrefs [Bot], Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], JorgenSA, Majestic-12 [Bot], Semrush [Bot]

Could that be the issue, or part of it?

Jorgen
System: i5-12600K@4.9 GHz, ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-I motherboard, 32 GB 4800 MHz DDR5 RAM, Gainward RTX 3060 w/ 12 GB DDR6 VRAM, Windows 10 Pro.

All views and opinions expressed here are entirely my own. I am not a Lockheed-Martin employee.
Chris Metel
Lockheed Martin

Post by Chris Metel »

Hello,

We are currently looking into ways to reduce the impact of spam on the Prepa3D forum, and have already implemented several measures to prevent it. Our infrastructure provider recently migrated us to a new server for the release of v6, which has led to increased efficiencies. However, we have discovered that some spam prevention measures we previously implemented were not effective on the new server.

Registered users that are categorized as [Bot] are considered 'good' bots and do not post. We have added them ourselves to provide some benefits such as better search capabilities and integration with our sites.

Cheers,
Chris
Chris Metel
Prepar3D® Product Owner
JorgenSA

Post by JorgenSA »

Chris, thanks very much for the update.

Good to hear that this is being worked upon.

Jorgen

Geir Haukland

Post by Geir Haukland »

Chris Metel wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2023 10:50 am Hello,

We are currently looking into ways to reduce the impact of spam on the Prepa3D forum, and have already implemented several measures to prevent it. Our infrastructure provider recently migrated us to a new server for the release of v6, which has led to increased efficiencies. However, we have discovered that some spam prevention measures we previously implemented were not effective on the new server.

Registered users that are categorized as [Bot] are considered 'good' bots and do not post. We have added them ourselves to provide some benefits such as better search capabilities and integration with our sites.

Cheers,
Chris
Well, the only problem i see, you have not enough ppl to keep the forum clean, and spam is something we have to live with, but there is way's to prevent that, you have to look at the right places, like phpbb site for mods you can add. And you need also to hire more ppl to prevent this from happening again, myself did a pretty good job reporting all this, but was there take actions, no, not by a longshot, there should be something that would allert you to react, like an email-warning or something, something that got your attention right away.

Well, thats my two cents, and i also voluntar for such job is needed. Peace bro !!!
Martyson

Post by Martyson »

Hi Geir Haukland ,

Glad you liked my suggestion.
Best Regards,
Vaughan Martell PP-ASEL (KDTW)
Geir Haukland

Post by Geir Haukland »

Martyson wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2023 12:17 pm

Hi Geir Haukland ,

Glad you liked my suggestion.
I am up for anything as long as the spammers stay out. I liked the licensed users can post, edit post and delete posts they have made, and newly registered users can ONLY read posts, but then again, we need a forum for those, where they tell everyone who they are, and how they found this forum, like an introduction time, hows that sound? When they have posted there, then they move on to next stage which is the forum itself, but with restrictions tho, like there is sudden forums they cant just post in, only read, you understand what i am asking? Is that possible? Maybe pass protected areas for licensed users, that should get rid of the spammers for good..
JorgenSA

Post by JorgenSA »

It is kinda obvious from this morning's flow of spams that something more needs to be done.

Maybe this is drastic, but if it possible to filter out character sets other than the normal and extended ASCII character set, meaning the Cyrillic alphabet, Chinese, Japanese and Arabic characters sets etc.

Sorry to those whose native character sets those are...

Jorgen

Geir Haukland

Post by Geir Haukland »

JorgenSA wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2023 7:54 am It is kinda obvious from this morning's flow of spams that something more needs to be done.

Maybe this is drastic, but if it possible to filter out character sets other than the normal and extended ASCII character set, meaning the Cyrillic alphabet, Chinese, Japanese and Arabic characters sets etc.

Sorry to those whose native character sets those are...

Jorgen
"but then again, we need a forum for those, where they tell everyone who they are, and how they found this forum, like an introduction time, hows that sound?" Did you see this line, and this line: " Maybe pass protected areas for licensed users, " is any of this possible to make it happend? Just asking, maybe a passprotected area or hidden forums for non registered users, that should work. Only news forum is vissible to non registered users, the rest is hidden until you register an account, that should do it, even unregistered users dont see any other forums only thje news section, that should be done, and stronger capta on login / registering section.
JorgenSA

Post by JorgenSA »

Geir,

I'm all for it, as for anything and everything that works... ;-)

Jorgen