Rotating beacon light at airports. Please - can this be improved

For all topics that don't fit into another category. Note that we cannot promise that any of these posts will be responded to by our development team.
pdeswardt

Rotating beacon light at airports. Please - can this be improved

Post by pdeswardt »

The light above the control tower - man it looks super unrealistic....

Just go look at a rotating beacon - it only shows anything resembling this picture if there is fog or smog around. Else it will just flash like a normal light.

Can you guys sort this please, or is there a way to remove it ?

Chadblack

Re: Rotating beacon light at airports. Please - can this be improved

Post by Chadblack »

I agree 100% I too, have posted numerous times asking for a fix to this. No replies from LM yet. Even more bothersome is the fact that the beacon cant be seen more than a mile from the airport... they are useless in P3D. In FSX, and FS9 they worked great. Why did we loose these in P3D? They are essential to night flying.
Chadblack

Post by Chadblack »

bump
einherz

Post by einherz »

is not changed from fsx yet, i think some custom replace effect in google have to be exist, never think about it more than 0.3s lol
Larry_R

Post by Larry_R »

For what it's worth, I've experimented with rotating beacon effects for lighthouses based on the same principle used in this green and white beacon. I also believe that the .fx file for it is unchanged from FSX. It consists of a texture on a vertical plane that rotates, and the size is governed by the scale = values in the .fx file. When the plane is edge on to the camera you see nothing unlike what happens in real life when the beam is pointed at you. One solution is to add simple flashing lights, (green and white in this case) to the effect file but the problem with this is that the flashing lights can slowly get out of sync with the beam effect. And in P3D these flashing lights will have a maximum range of about 6 km per my findings. It's possible to increase the range of the beam effect to some extent with careful editing of the mipmaps of the texture, but it has to be done just so or it will not work. So it's not so easy. I did manage to get a horizontal rotating effect that sweeps out a semi-transparent light cone just above the ground which works OK in FSX, but at least in P3D v2.5 the beam did not have the appearance of sweeping out a circle so I have not posted it.

Larry
Orbx Developer
Gigabyte GA z270x-ud5 mobo, Intel i7 7700k 4.2GHz, Corsair DDR4 3866 16 gig, Gigabyte Raedon VII, Win 10, Evo 960 NvMe 2TB FSX, P3D v3.4, v4.x, v5.x