Ground View Wobbling

Any issues, problems or troubleshooting topics related to the Prepar3D client application.
msintle

Re: Ground View Wobbling

Post by msintle »

Martyson wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 1:32 am Watching the clip again I see both displays (views) are all messed up.
The top view is facing out at a 30 degree right angle, which seems to happen spontaneously after a couple of runs. The only way I found to fix this is by reverting to the default configuration inside %appdata% and I am happy to send you a video with that update made, but it does not fix the ground wobbling issue at all.

Another oddity is that I cannot zet the zoom to precisely 1.00 UNLESS the top view is in this odd state. The closest I can come is 0.93 when the top view is facing forward properly.

I did not even mention these issues, as the ground wobbling is the more important issue for me right now.
Martyson wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 1:32 am I cannot re-create your custom setup for testing.
Does this mean you will not be making an effort to resolve the issue and/or fix the problem?
Martyson

Post by Martyson »

msintle wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 11:21 am
Martyson wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 1:32 am Watching the clip again I see both displays (views) are all messed up.
The top view is facing out at a 30 degree right angle, which seems to happen spontaneously after a couple of runs. The only way I found to fix this is by reverting to the default configuration inside %appdata% and I am happy to send you a video with that update made, but it does not fix the ground wobbling issue at all.

Another oddity is that I cannot zet the zoom to precisely 1.00 UNLESS the top view is in this odd state. The closest I can come is 0.93 when the top view is facing forward properly.

I did not even mention these issues, as the ground wobbling is the more important issue for me right now.
Martyson wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 1:32 am I cannot re-create your custom setup for testing.
Does this mean you will not be making an effort to resolve the issue and/or fix the problem?
I have two monitors and the default F-35.

P3D testing is first verified with the default aircraft.

If you tell me how to set up my system like your setup I will test it.

Previously I suggested that you get your setup in a default P3D setup with one monitor.
Have you done that?

Does your setup use the Default P3D startup flight (aircraft and scenery)?

How do you get two displays both displaying P3D?

On my current setup I use a main monitor to display P3D jet and the second display to display e.g. a Add-On product moving map.
Best Regards,
Vaughan Martell PP-ASEL (KDTW)
Sabre57

Post by Sabre57 »

msintle wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 11:21 am

Most of the time you receive responses and help from other user's of P3D. We are not Lockheed Martin employees. We don't have access to any of the P3D details beyond what we can see and experience with our running of the sim. So our ability to help is limited to our configurations.

That said, I experienced something similar with 6.1 one time and it was when I changed to a cockpit view of the fuel tank selection valve/switch. Which in my AC was a direct downward view. The view wobbled but not as much as what I saw in your video. I tried to recreate it last night and wasn't able to do so. However, I have a couple of questions for you:

1. When you zoom out of top view mode to about the 50,000-100,000 foot level, does anything change with the wobbling?
2. What display settings are you using: Resolution, FPS settings and vsync, AA type, rendering %, sharpening %, etc.? The reason I'm asking this question is because I was seeing weird ground vibration using TAA.
I9-9900
32GB RAM
RTX 3090 FTW
Assorted SSDs and HDDs
3x55" TVs
Alpha/Bravo Honeycombs
SPAD.Next, ASV6
msintle

Post by msintle »

So to answer your questions, I tried using a single (external) display and that worked fine, no wobbling.

The setup here isn't that crazy, but the asus device is - so I wouldn't put this past problems they may be introducing.
I have found them to break other software in the past, for example their driver installs fail when DiskZIP is installed. They don't care.
I even proved that DiskZIP code was harmless by renaming the code they load into memory, so they couldn't be at fault. Didn't make a difference.
For all readers here: I'd avoid Asus like the plague. Their devices are absolutely the worst. Apologies for the rant, I'll get off the soap box now.

I've uploaded a new video, which illustrates the problem a bit better:
https://vimeo.com/905610472
This has the fixed top view so it is at a 0 degree angle and aligns perfectly with the bottom view.

Top view settings:
https://ibb.co/Ws5pwC6

Bottom view settings:
https://ibb.co/BZWP3pn

Another oddity is that I cannot access this resolution inside Prepar3d:
https://ibb.co/ZJSBvQb
But pretty sure that is a problem with the asus device.

I followed the instructions here to make the simulator expand across my two internal displays:
https://www.prepar3d.com/SDKv4/prepar3d ... rview.html
Specifically, the part where it says "Right-click within the main Prepar3D window and select View Groups->Auto-fill Desktop. This will create a separate Prepar3D window per monitor to display the multi-monitor view."

I'd also be happy if the bottom monitor can show just the ground view and the top showing the ordinary cockpit view. Is that possible?

The default scenario doesn't help since it is the virtual 3D cockpit, so no ground is visible anyways to begin with.

Is there a way to escalate these requests to official support?
Martyson

Post by Martyson »

Ok,

Glad to hear you mention :
“I tried using a single (external) display and that worked fine, no wobbling.”

So, default P3D6 setup is working ok.

Further reading your last post I noticed:
“I followed the instructions here to make the simulator expand across my two internal displays:”
“Specifically, the part where it says "Right-click within the main Prepar3D window and select View Groups->Auto-fill Desktop. This will create a separate Prepar3D window per monitor to display the multi-monitor view."

So, your custom monitor(s) setup with View Groups is where the problem started.

Note:
That is why I initially asked (my first reply in this topic):
Are you using any viewing software e.g., like Chaseplane?

Anyway, I do not use View Groups.
As I previously mentioned my second display is reserved for Add-ons like moving maps.

So, someone with ViewGroups experience will be needed here.

Note 2:
My set up is not fully standard, I do use Chaseplane and the default F-35B startup flight on the runway at KDTW.
I never use the Ground view on my flights but I did here for testing.

I did some testing with Chaseplane Enabled and Disabled.

On my setup with Chaseplane Enabled and from the VC Cockpit I get a “Jumping/Flashing” view of my Pilot’s seat when holding NUM_5 key down. Not good.

If I Right click an select Cockpit (view) I see the Taxi line “Jumping/Flashing” when holding NUM_5 key down. No good.

If I Global Disable Chaseplane:
From the VC Cockpit I see the Pilot’s seat focused and stationary when holding NUM_5 key down.... Looks good.

If I Right click an select Cockpit (view):
I see the Taxi line focused and stationary when holding NUM_5 key down ... looks good.

If I takeoff and gain altitude and hold down the Num_5 key I see a good ground view moving with the plane.... looks good.

Finally you asked:
“Is there a way to escalate these requests to official support?”
Did you want to pay ($$$) for Official Support?

The LM Staff often reads and responds to this "Free" User to User forum as you have no doubt noticed when reading the forum topics.

Best Regards,
Vaughan Martell PP-ASEL (KDTW)
Aussie1234

Post by Aussie1234 »

Hi All,

I wasn't sure if this topic related to my problem with Version 6.1 but reading the reply above, I think it does.

I use a four screen View Group, for my external views, in my enclosed 737 cockpit, and have used view groups since Version 4.x

Currently, I am using a single RTX 4080 (16Gb) to produce the 210-degree external view. All Samsung monitors are set to 1920x1080 and identified as No.1 to my left, 2, 3 to the front, and 4 to my right. I have the latest driver.

The 4080 card has three HDMI hardware outputs and one Display port. The Display port, I turn into DVI to feed the monitor with an adaptor and feed the No1 monitor. 2,3, and 4 are fed the HDMI outputs. All worked well up to Version 6.

From version 6.1, my large (75 inch) left monitor is 'wobbling' in every view. It produces a slightly flashing, double image on every vertical line. I have tried every display mode but cannot eliminate it. All other monitors are fine, and the image has improved with V6.1.

Any thoughts appreciated but it seems to be related to the Display port output.

Aussie
P3d V6: ProSim-AR B737 suite: Fully enc. 737 Cockpit:
ASky6: Orbx world: GSX2: Pilot2ATC: Open Cockpits & Simworld h'dware:
Ext view - 4 LCD monitors, 210' viewgroup from 1x RTX 4080 16Gb. Main i9-13900K MSI 64GB.
msintle

Post by msintle »

No display port in my case of course, everything is the local bus.
Sabre57

Post by Sabre57 »

As far as I know you can't mix cameras in a view group, i.e. one view being the VC and another being the cockpit. However, what might work is this:

1. Create a separate VC view for each monitor.
2. Move your eyepoint on the lower monitor to below the AC. When on the ground the lowest you can go is on the ground but you can adjust the view angle to your liking.
3. When flying if you want the view to be lower then just move the eyepoint down.
4. The views won't sync based on your hat switch movement though. The view that will move will be on the monitor that's in focus.

I'm curious as to why you want the lower monitor to have a view of the ground. If we knew why then maybe we could come up with a better solution.
I9-9900
32GB RAM
RTX 3090 FTW
Assorted SSDs and HDDs
3x55" TVs
Alpha/Bravo Honeycombs
SPAD.Next, ASV6
Sabre57

Post by Sabre57 »

Now that I've thought about it a little more I think you could do this by using a view group. Autofill desktop won't work in this situation and you would have to create a view group from scratch. If you go into the Miscellaneous forum there are a couple of pinned posts that tell you how to set one up. They were written a while ago but are still applicable. If you try this and have any questions let me know.
I9-9900
32GB RAM
RTX 3090 FTW
Assorted SSDs and HDDs
3x55" TVs
Alpha/Bravo Honeycombs
SPAD.Next, ASV6
msintle

Post by msintle »

Thanks for the thoughts. So the wobbling issue does reproduce for others as well, and is an unresolved issue at this time, right?
JorgenSA

Post by JorgenSA »

Keep in mind the kind of "wobbling" I mentioned earlier in this thread, which is way different from yours.

But then again I only have a single monitor.

Jorgen
System: i5-12600K@4.9 GHz, ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-I motherboard, 32 GB 4800 MHz DDR5 RAM, Gainward RTX 3060 w/ 12 GB DDR6 VRAM, Windows 10 Pro.

All views and opinions expressed here are entirely my own. I am not a Lockheed-Martin employee.
msintle

Post by msintle »

Maybe a video of your own would help?