Impossible to use nvidia graphic card with Prepare 3d V. 2.2

Any issues, problems or troubleshooting topics related to the Prepar3D client application.
Donaly

Post by Donaly »

I had the same issue, and I solved it. The HD 4000 is still the only "selectable" card in Settings, but it's idle and my 670mx is running at 99%.

I posted my solution (1 of 3 things I tried) in this thread: http://www.prepar3d.com/forum-5/?mingle ... c&t=6261.1

Anyone who has a laptop with Optimus/HD4000 in it should give it a go!
Nullack

Post by Nullack »

Perhaps a better title for this bug report would be something like "GPU Selection Not Respected In P3D V2.2". Nvidia GPUs themselves dont have problems with P3D generally. Ive suggested Erik add this to the master bug list so its tracked for you.
Dave_YVRATC

Post by Dave_YVRATC »

The Nvidia 710? You'd be lucky to run FS2000 on that. No offense, but it's the bottom of the bottom end. It's not meant for playing games.
shortspecialbus

Post by shortspecialbus »

Yeah, to be honest, I don't think you're going to get much out of that card. Here's a bit of a comparison: http://gpuboss.com/graphics-card/GeForce-710A

Good luck,

-stefan
troykr

Post by troykr »

Ummmmmm, oh dear, yea no offence, but I could draw graphics faster than your graphics card with a pencil and paper :)
Nullack

Post by Nullack »

The point is it'll still be faster than his HD4000. His 710 has far more shader processors and actually has dedicated VRAM amongst other things. It will be interesting to see what such a setup can achieve by turning down the eye candy once the GPU selection bug is fixed.
Dave_YVRATC

Post by Dave_YVRATC »

It doesn't matter all that the 710 is faster or has more shader processors than the HD4000, it's still far too slow. If I could find a way to add 2gb of ram to my old calculator it's still going to be a crappy old calculator. The near 8 year old 8800GTS is almost triple the video card that the 710 is trying to be.
jimcooper1

Post by jimcooper1 »

I think the problem is not that the nVidia is not being used but that P3D is not correctly reporting it. I have a laptop with dual graphics cards: HD4400 integrated and nVidia 790M. I have set the application to run on the 790 and the FPS jumped from 14 to over 90. However the 'reported' graphics card is still the HD4400, but the laptop has an LED which lights when the powerful GPU is being used, so I know the GPU is active in P3D by the fact the LED is illuminated and by the high FPS I'm achieving. In the OPs case I suspect that although P3D is still reporting the integrated GPU, the other GPU may be active but, because of the low spec, no improved performance is discernible.

Jim
Donaly

Post by Donaly »

I appreciate very much your comment, no offense for my card. By the way P3D works perfectly with the Intel 4000 maintening a reasonable 20 fps.

In this condition my setting are Image texture = FXAA OFF - MSAA 4 samples - Filter anisotropic 4 - Resolution 2048 x 2048 - screen resolution 1920x1080x32 - Level detail ULTRA - M. Comlexity High - M. Resolution 10m. - Texture resolution 60cm. - Land detail texture on - Scenery, trees,autogen building = all dense - Reflection none - special effects low - volumetric fog on - detailed clouds - draw distance60 mi - traffic all 20%.

Installed add-ons runing without any problem ORBX FTX Global and ORBX FTX Vector.

As a comparison, when playing with Xplane9 which gives me the opportunity to choose the graphic card, I get just 20 fps in not too populated area with the Intel Graphics and 35-40 fps with my low end (as you said) Nvidia graphic.

Donaly
Nullack

Post by Nullack »

If the problem is actually that P3D falsely reports what GPU your actually using like another poster suggested, then that puts those doubters to rest about a Geforce 710 not running P3D :) As I said, its still got far more power than the HD4000 in terms of shader processing and it has its own VRAM unlike the HD4000 which requires use of system RAM

Donaly can you run some telemetry to identify which GPU is being loaded while running P3D? Theres lots of little utilities you could try that will tell you about GPU utilisation and other telemetry, I use MSI Afterburner but theres many around that do more or less the same thing. Doing this would settle the matter once and for all.
Snave

Post by Snave »

The common thread in all these card problems is the existence of the onboard HD4000, which must it seems be disabled before the sim will recogise the other card.
No door is closed to an open mind.
Cats open doors...
psycoma27

Post by psycoma27 »

Last statement is wrong. P3D uses the better Graphic Card, but it didn't show it in configuration. Statement from "Jimcooper1" is correct. But i would be a better "feeling" if there is standing "NVIDIA XXXX" instead of "INTEL xxxx" ;)
Donaly

Post by Donaly »

Quote:
Quote from Nullack on April 14, 2014, 07:46

If the problem is actually that P3D falsely reports what GPU your actually using like another poster suggested, then that puts those doubters to rest about a Geforce 710 not running P3D :) As I said, its still got far more power than the HD4000 in terms of shader processing and it has its own VRAM unlike the HD4000 which requires use of system RAM

Donaly can you run some telemetry to identify which GPU is being loaded while running P3D? Theres lots of little utilities you could try that will tell you about GPU utilisation and other telemetry, I use MSI Afterburner but theres many around that do more or less the same thing. Doing this would settle the matter once and for all.

You were damn right! I tried MSI Afterburner program. When I trigger P3D V 2.2 right clicking "use Nvidia Graphic card", despite the fact that the p3d program shows only the Intel 4000 graphics, the program uses Nvidia and it shows clearly on the diagram (CPU Usage up to 50% approx. flying with Maule over London at 2500 feet alt. getting constant 20 fps (fps blocked at 20 on my setting).

I did the same thing launching the P3D program with the Intel graphics and in the Afterburner diagram the curve remain flat at zero.

This is the evidence that P3D can use and uses Nvidia even in laptop computer which have frequently the same problem.

Anyway, thanks to all for your precious help. Very nice community here !

By the way, sorry for my English, but I am a French speaking Swiss citizen living near Geneva and I do my best...

Donaly
ptgar1

Post by ptgar1 »

I had the same issue, and I solved it. The HD 4000 is still the only "selectable" card in Settings, but it's idle and my 670mx is running at 99%.

I posted my solution (1 of 3 things I tried) in this thread: http://www.prepar3d.com/forum-5/?mingle ... c&t=6261.1

Anyone who has a laptop with Optimus/HD4000 in it should give it a go!
Beau Hollis
Lockheed Martin

Post by Beau Hollis »

Even DXDiag will only show the 4000 on certain laptops. We get our device list directly from a low level call do DX, so if the HD4000 is the only card in our list, its not because of a bug in P3D. As stated above, the NV card may still be in use even though the OS reports the HD4000. On another note, while I certainly wouldn't recommend it, we P3D can run on the HD4000 if settings are appropriately dialed way down. I've even seen it run ok on HD3000 in d3d10 mode with tessellation disabled.
Beau Hollis
Prepar3D Software Architect