[RESOLVED] Installer has insufficient privileges Prepar3D v4

Any issues, problems or troubleshooting topics related to installing the Prepar3D client application or it's installer.
John Hornet

[RESOLVED] Installer has insufficient privileges Prepar3D v4

Post by John Hornet »

Hi,
I am trying to install a brand new install of V4 on a pc rebuilt completely a week ago.
The installer fails near completion with the message

"Installer has insufficient privileges to access this directory: c\programdata\microsoft\windows\startmenu\programs\lockheedmartin. The installation cannot continue etc." then 0x80070643 -Fatal error during installation.

I followed Poppets 7 step instruction process for installs.
I am installing on a dedicated SSD 250GB D:\Prepar3d which only contains the extracted zip file.
The MD5 checksum is correct checked by WinMD5. AV was shut down. Run as administrator.
I installed windows 10 last Monday and it is up to date, I am the administrator (and sole account) on the machine.
I have double checked the admin rights on C:\program data and my admin rights allow me all rights (except special permissions) on this folder.
Over the last 5 days I have installed many programs in this rebuild to get the PC ready for v4 without this installer error appearing on any of them.
I would appreciate any advice on a cure for this repeated failed install?
I am a first time poster here so if it is the wrong forum etc please let me know?
John
Brady Butler
Lockheed Martin

Re: Installer has insufficient priviliges

Post by Brady Butler »

Hello John,

Just to confirm - did you go through the "Problems" section in Poppets post?

https://www.prepar3d.com/forum/viewtopi ... 2&t=126570

Let us know how it goes.

Regards,
Brady
Brady Butler
Prepar3D® Software Engineer
John Hornet

Post by John Hornet »

Thanks Bradley,
I followed the 7 steps and have done the troubleshooting without success.
I thought I knew my way around a pc and windows until this problem appeared. No doubt somebody out there has a simple solution but at this stage I don't have it.
John
Brady Butler
Lockheed Martin

Post by Brady Butler »

Hello John,

There is also the section that has your exact error code:

"For all other error codes like, 0x80070643, 0xfffffff7, 0x800705aa, 0x800713ec, 0x80070005

Go through the checklist below again as you may of missed a step

Checklist, Before you Install Prepar3D.......

• Are you logged onto your PC as administrator ?
  • Is your Windows Operating system up to date ?
  • Do you have the required hard drive space to Install Prepar3D ? 40 gig in total
  • Do you have more them 13 gig of free hard drive space on your Operating system ?
  • Did you confirm the MD5 Checksum on the Prepar3D download folder ?
  • Did you Disable all Antivirus Software and Firewalls ? Also close them down in the Task Manager
  • Did you close programs like Team_Viewer, MSI Afterburner and evga precision in the Task Manager ?
  • Did you unplug all Unplug all USB Devices from your computer, except keyboard and mouse ?
  • Did you Extract the Zipped folder ?
  • Did you run the Prepar3D Installer as administrator ?

Check and confirm the above points and then run the Setup_Prepar3D.exe again as Administrator"

Perhaps you have installed another program in that list (or not in that list) that may be interrupting the install?
Brady Butler
Prepar3D® Software Engineer
Poppet

Post by Poppet »

Hello John

In addition to Brady's post can you try the following steps

Navigate to the location below, Right click on Programs > Properties > Security, Then Click Edit

Local Disk ►ProgramData ►Microsoft ►Windows ► Start Menu ►Programs

Can you first confirm you have a "Users" profile here ? Example: Users(John\Users)

If so, Click on Everyone and SYSTEM and Tick the box for Full Control, Click "Apply" and "Ok"

Note: Follow the same steps for the Lockheed Martin folder (If its there) Give Full Control for Everyone and SYSTEM

Run the Prepar3D Installer again and keep us posted on your situation
John Hornet

Post by John Hornet »

Thanks Brady and Poppet,
It was Poppet's advice that fixed it for me, I had no privileges for the start folder. Great support and thanks for the speed of reply.
Up and running now with one dilemma to go, cant get P3D to show on the 3 monitors (5760x1080).
The 3 screens are set up and working with other programs in nvidia, W10 - the display options in P3D correctly display the 5760x1080 but I only get 1 screen.
Any suggestion will be gratefully received and thanks again.
Cheers
John
Poppet

Post by Poppet »

John Hornet wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2018 2:07 am Up and running now with one dilemma to go, cant get P3D to show on the 3 monitors (5760x1080).

Hello John

Please see the link below for details on Multiple Monitor Configuration

https://www.prepar3d.com/SDKv4/prepar3d ... rview.html

---------------

Also, here is a quick example of settings up 3 views, 1 view for looking forward and the other 2 set up for left and right.

I do not use Nvidia Surround in this example

Launch Prepar3D, at the Top of the Menu, Click Views > New view > Cockpit > Check left

A little window will appear looking back to the left, Left click Once Inside this window so it will become Active, Then right click Inside and click Undock Window

You will now be able to Move this window to your left monitor by clicking the white bar at the top and dragging it over, You will notice a little Icon at the top left of this Undocked window, Left click on this Icon and click Maximise

You can move this new view to your desired target by left clicking Inside this window Once and then hold down the Space bar and move the Mouse to adjust your new view.

Now follow the same steps to set up your right view Click Views > New view > Cockpit > Check Right

When you have set up your views you can Save the Scenario and you will be set up for next time, This will save your complete Scenario, Views, Aircraft, Location and so on.

Click Scenario at the Top left of the Menu and Save Enter a Name for this Scenario example John777

To access this Scenario, Launch Prepar3D click Load at the first screen and Locate the scenario name John777 and click Ok
John Hornet

Post by John Hornet »

Thanks Poppet much appreciated and your option is a big plus.
Cheers
John