If You Have P3d V6 Running Post Opinions and results Here

For all topics that don't fit into another category. Note that we cannot promise that any of these posts will be responded to by our development team.
comeup101

If You Have P3d V6 Running Post Opinions and results Here

Post by comeup101 »

I do not have V6 installed yet but it will be as soon as I pickup my new SSD specifically for v6.

This will happen today and I will not uninstall v5.4

I already purchased v6 and I'm assuming it won't work with all of my add-ons so I will have both installed.

I will report later today with my impressions....

Blew
EVGA Classified Z690, Intel I5-13600k, Vengeance 32GB 5600, MSI 4070ti, EVGA 1000w, X56 Rhino Controllers, Logitech Z625 speakers, Alienware OLED 34 3440*1440, Samsung 2TB 980 Pro M.2, WD Black SN850X 2TB M.2 and Samsung EVO 860 2TB SATA

Blake Lewis
Martyson

Re: If You Have P3d V6 Running Post Opinions and results Here

Post by Martyson »

comeup101 wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 7:16 pm I do not have V6 installed yet but it will be as soon as I pickup my new SSD specifically for v6.

This will happen today and I will not uninstall v5.4

I already purchased v6 and I'm assuming it won't work with all of my add-ons so I will have both installed.

I will report later today with my impressions....

Blew
Hello comeup101
Blew,

I purchased and installed P3Dv6 Personal without problems.
I will wait for developer approval on Add-ons prior to installing them.

Note:
I also have P3Dv4 and v5 installed on the same PC.
Best Regards,
Vaughan Martell PP-ASEL (KDTW)
comeup101

Post by comeup101 »

Martyson thx for the quick response,

That's good to here, did you try PMDG yet?

Blew
EVGA Classified Z690, Intel I5-13600k, Vengeance 32GB 5600, MSI 4070ti, EVGA 1000w, X56 Rhino Controllers, Logitech Z625 speakers, Alienware OLED 34 3440*1440, Samsung 2TB 980 Pro M.2, WD Black SN850X 2TB M.2 and Samsung EVO 860 2TB SATA

Blake Lewis
hjsmuc

Post by hjsmuc »

Just trying to find out how to get the menu bar when in flight. Toddler's steps again it seems.
Sky_King

Post by Sky_King »

Going strictly from my old memory -- doesn't pressing the ALT key bring up the menu bar?
Gigabyte x670 Aorus Elite AX MB; 7800X3D CPU; Deepcool LT520 Cooler; 64 Gb G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO DDR5; Win11 Pro; 1 Samsung 990 2Tb NVMe SSD: 1 Crucial 4Tb MX500 SSD; 1 Samsung 860 1Tb SSD; Gigabyte 1080ti 11Gb VRAM; Toshiba 43" LED TV @ 4k..
jhaley101

Post by jhaley101 »

I haven't figured out how to activate the in game menus either.

I'll say this, v6 looks not a lot more impressive than 5.4 Okay, yes, some of the airports are improved and I can see why the default flight is KDCA. It's default is pretty impressive......for a "default" airport. But its still MILES behind DD scenery for KDCA.

But again, at a glance - I hardly got excited. Default terrain is still very plain, roads still look unrealistic out of the box and there are still issues involving autogen over roads and missing bridges and roads that just plain go over top of all scenery, there have been NO improvements in that area, that I can see. Not a lot looks new, maybe there have been some coastline improvements. I can see where its going to need some 3rd party support or an ability to jam in old 3rd party scenery improvements like Orbx or UTX. And who knows if those developers are even interested. I see UTX development fading away in terms of support and development.

I went to my home airport CYQT and the same ridiculous radio towers are still in the middle of the rivers that flow out to Lake Superior, there are NO runway elevations that I have seen in checking a dozen airports. Windsocks and airport gates are a nice touch, but almost seem out of place, like they were a forward thinking development stuck on an old game. Honestly, that's the way I feel after a very quick look. Disappointed.

Potentially on a positive note, I can see where porting over SOME V5 stuff (like AI traffic) should be straight forward. The same setup appears to be place as v5. But TBH, I haven't tried a single one....I just wanted to try and have a boo.

One thing I just don't get about LM and P3d, where are the developers when it comes to posting/responding to these support forums. Primarily, all I've ever seen is other customers sharing and trying to sort it out.

I still have a bit of time to see, read, share but a preliminary look is NOT what I would call encouraging. What was I expecting? I don't think I was thinking it would be a game changer. There are improvements under the hood, but there are LOT of things that appear exactly the same.
comeup101

Post by comeup101 »

Yeah, that's kind of what I was expecting. I believe I read somewhere that PMDG said long ago that they would still support P3d, we will see. I Believe 3rd parties will eventually, but not all.

Well, I just got back home and I'm about to install my new SSD and install V6.

Blew

Blake Lewis
jhaley101

Post by jhaley101 »

Be interested in what you and others see.

I have a lot of small stutters on changing views. So perhaps some setting adjustments are necessary. I know the latest installment of v5 has been silky smooth for me. V6 loads quickly, but again, that's vanilla.

And this EA weather setup is permanent? I don't see an option to turn it off. Few other options/goodies I need to read about. Guess I have a lot to read about. If there's room to bring over AI Aircraft and sceneries and airports, I might stick around. But I have another 13 days to really have a good look. Right now, I'm not encouraged.

Guess I was thinking I'd see more on the default scenery side. Some of the highlighted features regarding landclass and airport improvements, I'm not wowed at all. The landclass in my hometown is horribly inaccurate.

Some posts in other forums that someone loved the lighting from sunlight in the cockpit and through clouds etc. Sims are something different to all of us, but I can't initially say that this is 60 dollars well spent. And now we have to rub the rabbit foot for third party developers to get involved? I read Active Sky is involved, details are in their forums, where developers actually comment!

Still working on the in game menus! LOL. Maybe they don't want users fiddling during flight!
comeup101

Post by comeup101 »

Well, I have my new SSD and v6 installed.

Out of the box it's pretty much what I expected.

I started from my childhood city of San Francisco KSFO and it's definitely better than v5 default.

The performance is better and the lighting is amazing especially @ dawn and sunset my favorite times to fly.

No stutters for me flying the Rapture with after burners on for 10-15 minutes.

I also flew out of Honolulu PHNL where I'm located now. it's also better than default v5.

Now i will start setting up my controllers and get prepared for add-ons as they arrive.

I have no problem waiting I will keep it. I'm sure PMDG, Active Sky, Orbx, Flightbeam, FlyTampa, A2A and FSDT will come out with updates not too sure about the others, but if those I mentioned will I would be satisfied.

I'm retired and I think I have enough to keep me busy, I have 3 SSD's each having their own simulator FS2020, P3d v5.4 and yours truly.

I don't discriminate I use them all and enjoy each one for different reasons.

Blew

Blake Lewis
comeup101

Post by comeup101 »

I just read on PMDG forums that PMDG will not look at updating their airplanes with v6 until the release of the PMDG 747 for FS2020. At that point they will look at the situation and decide what to do.

I'm disappointed. This is what I posted:

I must say I'm a little disappointed, I've put thousands of dollars into P3d and have bought every airplane except the DC-6 from PMDG. Prepar3d saved the sim industry by taking over FSX years ago and all of the developers benefited from that! Now FS2020 is out Prepar3d got kicked to the curb WOW. No loyalty in my opinion everything is about the bottom line period....I'm not a P3d fanboy I enjoy both platforms and used X-Plane and DCS as well. I enjoy FS2020 the scenery is beautiful I love it but I also enjoy P3d which the airplanes feel more realistic to me. I enjoy long-haul flights for Virtual airlines which FS2020 lacks in aircraft. I'm not trying to take sides or start a argument and I don't kiss any a.. I do appreciate PMDG's honesty and at least Prepar3d will be looked at after the 747 is released but for me this is painful. The company I don't trust is Microsoft....I don't know any of these companies value so I the only thing I can do is speculate they are smaller than what I thought if they can't afford to do a update. In this case I understand if you don't have the assets you don't have the assets.

Blew

Blake Lewis
Beau Hollis
Lockheed Martin

Post by Beau Hollis »

Thanks all for the feedback. With respect to the enhanced atmospherics, the new atmosphere/sky model cannot be disabled/reverted any more, but you can still go back to sprite based clouds by turning off volumetric clouds in the UI. Just drag the quality slider all the way to the left, and you'll get the legacy clouds.
Beau Hollis
Prepar3D Software Architect
jhaley101

Post by jhaley101 »

Thanks for sharing that information. Appreciate your response

JH
Peter1177

Post by Peter1177 »

Finally installed V6 yesterday. Intial impression after one hours flying was: This is what a home flight simulator should be and what P3D was always meant to be. I have raised the graphics settings from their default to something I was happy with and my pc still runs silent on 40fps with no lag, stuttering or drop in frame rates. With 6/8 cumulus the ground with the sun breaking through in patches looks so real. I have installed my favourite aeroplane the Milviz T38a (V5) and I can report all systems work fine and no issues with graphics. I do not therefore see any issues with compatibility for V5 aeroplanes. I shall install more over the coming days.

I hope going forward developers see the mistake they have made by abandoning P3D because in my view V6 is far superior as a flight simulator than MSFS. Only time will tell on that issue. Hopefully VRS Tacpack and Orbx will update their content. It is just a pity that Milviz are now only offering their aeroplanes to commercial clients as they have produced by far the best military aeroplanes for P3D. I had no problem with their V4 aeroplanes in V5, so hopefully I will shortly be burning up the skies in their F4 Phantom in V6.

Well done to all of you at Lockheed Martin, V6 has definitely been worth the wait.
pthorn69

Post by pthorn69 »

Running the latest version of V6, I' ve been on board with Prepar3d since their begining. In my opinion the new scenery is beautiful and although I have always used most of the Orbx scenery, not so sure if I'll put it in V6. As of the date of this posting they are still working on their Orbx scenery making it compatible. I was using Traffic Global in V5, but I can't get it to work in V6, like to see an update for that, or any other AI aircraft scenery out there. FS Dream Team sceneries have been updated, but that's about it for now. I do own a ton of other sceneries from other developers that I wish would be updated. As far as aircraft that I use the Albeo and Coranardo aircraft work ok in V6, just point the installer in the right direction to V6. I find the Albeo Mooney Ovation seems to be about the best working one in V6. I use the new Active Sky for V6 and it works flawlessly.
E1000

Post by E1000 »

Hello,
I run latest V6 and the latest Win 11 with Active Sky and some other addons AND I like it a lot
Expecting some more improvements for the airports landing and runway lights ..

I like V6
Thanks
Emile EBBR Z590 Aorus Elite, i9-11900K 3.5Ghz Nvidia RTX 3060, 16 GB Mem, SSD 1Tera + other HDDs, Dual Boot . Win11/Win11 Pro X64