Panel only view for VC

Post your feature requests here. Note that we cannot promise that any of these posts will be commented on or that requested features will be implemented.
Demious

Post by Demious »

I'm think I'm not the only one who is using one monitor for outside view and one monitor for a panel view. Since 2D-panels are disappearing (not that I was so fond of them) a zoomed in view of the VC, on the panel is the only way to get a proper panel-monitor. It would be great if we could switch off the rendering of scenery behind the panel view, which should gain us an estimated 80-90% FPS.
jimcooper1

Post by jimcooper1 »

Quote:
Quote from Demious on October 6, 2014, 04:46

.....Since 2D-panels are disappearing (not that I was so fond of them) a zoomed in view of the VC, on the panel is the only way to get a proper panel-monitor. ........

AFAIK there are no plans to remove 2D panel support, 2D panels are the PROPER way to get a panel monitor. If your model does not have any 2D panels configured in the 'Panel.cfg' file then it is a very straightforward process to create the required 2D panels

Jim
r.brantner

Post by r.brantner »

Jim,

Yes it was in the past a straightforward process to build the necessary 2D panels for such a panel monitor. But I would like to see, how you will do this straightforward for such 3D only planes like Aerosoft Airbus or Twin Otter Extended. In the way these panels are built, you are not able to create such true 2D panels.

Rgds

Reinhard

PS: I own three monitors for outside view and two touch screen monitors for panels. And believe me - this 3D only strategy of the vendors are bad for such configurations ...
jimcooper1

Post by jimcooper1 »

Quote:

Quote:
Quote from aua668 on October 6, 2014, 09:23

....this 3D only strategy of the vendors are bad for such configurations ...

So the problem is with the 3rd Party Vendors, not with P3D. P3D already has the facility for creating and displaying panel only views. If the 3rd Party Vendors are not utilising these feature it's because they don't perceive that there is a demand for it. I can't see that LM would prioritise a change to the rendering system just because some Aircraft modellers don't provide 2D panels. If they've already written the code for the VC gauges then the only thing stopping them from creating the additional 2D gauges is the time (and money). It's probably better to go to their Support forums and ask for 2D panels to be included. Obviously this will increase the price of their products.

My company operates the other way as we build 2D panels for constructed 'Simpits' and only include an interior model (VC) if the customer requests it

Jim

r.brantner

Post by r.brantner »

Hi,

One improvement could be, that LM adds one otion in the camera.cfg file, which allows to turn off the rendering of the 3D scene in such VC camera views. We are already able to disable rendering of weather for example by using the flag "showweather". Nice would it be to have an additional option like "show3D".

By that you could create several views for your additional monitors without the burden of rendering the outside view for each of these views. That's what the first poster meant, I assume.

Btw this would be a great enhancement.

Reinhard