[RESOLVED] Oculus Rift does not work Prepar3D v4

Any issues, problems or troubleshooting topics related to computer hardware and the Prepar3D client application
rsubers2

[RESOLVED] Oculus Rift does not work Prepar3D v4

Post by rsubers2 »

I just bought an Oculus Rift. It runs the Oculus tutorial program fine. With Prepar3d I do not get Virtual Reality menu item and get the "please take off your headset and check this app on your computer". If I shut down the ORService I go not get a Virtual Reality menu item and the OR is black.

I am running Windows 10 64 bit current version per Windows Update.
Prepar3d version 4.0.23.21468 clean install (I wiped out everything and reinstalled from scratch and have done nothing since)
GeForce GTX 980 Ti graphics card driver 23.21.13.8871 set to maximum performance
Dell RS232DL_DIgital primary monitor
SyncMaster 906BBW secondary monitor
Microsoft wireless mouse and keyboard.

I had to manually add the VIrtual Reality entries to Prepar3d.cfg. Here is my startup section:
[STARTUP]
DEMO=0
STARTUP_DEMO=
LOAD_SCENARIO_TOOLS=1
LoadCorePlugins=1
LoadWindow=1
LoadVirtualReality=1
EnableVirtualRealityOnStartup=0

I have tried disconnecting my network connection and all peripherals other than OR and it still does not work. Changing EnableVirtualRealityOnStartup to 1 makes no difference.

Please let me know what next to check
aeronauta

Re: Oculus Rift does not work

Post by aeronauta »

Delete your prepar3d.cfg and the cameras.cfg in C:\Users\YOUR_ID\AppData\Roaming\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4 and restart the sim , the Oculus app must be running before P3D starts . In Menu look for Virtual Reality and enable it.

Jorge
Jorge Roldan
OZx Developer (aero) - Hovercontrol Helicopter Certified Pilot - Spad.Next Beta Tester - VATPAC Pilot PR
System i9-9990 4.7Ghz 32GB W11 Nvidia GeForce RTX 2080 8GB
rsubers2

Post by rsubers2 »

Still no Virtual Reality Menu item (I am presuming this is to be a top level item, not something buried in sub-menus).

OR stills shows the take off your headset and check the app message.

Also the regenerated prepar3d.cfg did not have the LoadVirtualReality=1 and EnableVirtualRealityOnStartup=0 entries. Just for additional informated I added them and tried again with same results.
rsubers2

Post by rsubers2 »

My Oculus App version is 1.20.0.474906 (1. 20.0.501061). This was a standard download from www.oculus.com
toutenglisse73

Post by toutenglisse73 »

Hi rsubers2,
You don't have to modify prepar3d.cfg for VR to work.
In the up to date P3d version (4.1...) when a scenario is launched you have on top menu the "virtual reality" / "enable virtual reality" tab to enable VR.
But as you use P3d 4.0..... you have to use the tab : Views / change view / virtual reality / VR virtual cockpit.
When in this view your oculus rift will work.
Then you have a P3d command (HMD recalibrate origin) to center the VR view when in cockpit.
Of course you should update P3d to actual version (that activate all VR views, allow screen rendering to only 1 eye that is performance saving, etc...)
No menus are VR for now - only inflight.
rsubers2

Post by rsubers2 »

I do not have a Virtual Reality top menu. This is on a clean install of P3Dv4.1 I have tried all kinds of combinations of things to try and no Virtual Reality menu. OR works fine other than P3D.
aeronauta

Post by aeronauta »

Upgrade to 4.1 , using the Client and content . You should get the Virtual reality menu item even without the OR installed .
Do not change things in prepar3d.cfg as this will probably cause more bad than good.

Jorge
Jorge Roldan
OZx Developer (aero) - Hovercontrol Helicopter Certified Pilot - Spad.Next Beta Tester - VATPAC Pilot PR
System i9-9990 4.7Ghz 32GB W11 Nvidia GeForce RTX 2080 8GB
rsubers2

Post by rsubers2 »

I got it to work. Thanks for the help.
ltjackso

Post by ltjackso »

I don't know what the OP did to make it work, but I'm having similar problems. I just built a new PC specifically for the purpose of running P3D with Oculus Rift. So here is my setup:

MB: Gigabyte AORUS Gaming 7
CPU: i7 8700K
GPU: Gigabtye AORUS 1080 Ti Waterforce Extreme Edition
Memory: 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V 3000
P3D: 4.2.21.23048 (installed to D:\P3D)
HOTAS: Thrustmaster Warthog Throttle and Stick
Rudder: CH Pro Pedals
VR: Oculus Rift with Touch

Steps taken so far:
I installed P3D, made sure it worked fine with graphics card, and then installed Oculus Rift.
Setup Oculus Rift per its instructions. Reboot
Started Oculus Rift, Started P3D: No top menu or right click menu to enable VR. Shut it all down.
Read Forum; told Oculus to accept unknown sources, started OR, Started P3D, no change. Shut it all down.
Read Forum; click this link: https://www.prepar3d.com/SDKv4/prepar3d ... ality.html Hunted down prepar3d.cfg file; found line items and made them both 1 (EnableVirtualRealityOnStartup was 0), Started OR, Started P3D, no change. Shut it all down. Note, I don't find anywhere a file called VirtualReality.cfg. I also ran this step again, but deleted cameras.cfg file and still no change.
Read Forum: Repaired P3D client, Started OR, Started P3D, no change.

I've rebooted a few times during these steps just to make sure nothing was getting missed. I can hear the engine sounds via the VR speakers, but that shouldn't be a major feat. No where in my top menu is anything that says Virtual Reality. Right clicking on screen doesn't give me a VR option either.

I've also read the post about P3D and Oculus Rift Not Completing.

While awaiting a reply; I'll do a clean uninstall and reinstall of P3D. I might even try a default install, although my boot drive is not large enough for all the add-ons I plan to use.

I'd appreciate any help. Sorry to be wordy, but wanted to be clear what steps I have attempted.
ltjackso

Post by ltjackso »

I've tried reinstall to default, still not working.
I've installed back to original configuration and started up SteamVR (which runs Elite Dangerous just fine) and then P3D, but still not providing Virtual Reality menu, and therefore not working.
I've installed FlyInside as a trial, it worked. But still no native P3D virtual reality menu.
ltjackso

Post by ltjackso »

I've uninstalled 4.2 and installed 4.0.28.21686 No top Menu but right click gives me VR and it works.