DCOC: Oculus Rift DK2 Support with extra features

Forum for Prepar3D Developers to show off their work or post about their add-ons or content created for Prepar3D
FlyIce

Post by FlyIce »

Second that! I'll be perfectly happy flying extended mode while waiting for the final plug-in...
jharris

Post by jharris »

Thanks for the plugin, I tried it and it's working no problems with a fresh install of p3d. I am getting the frame rates OK on i5@4.5 + 780ti. Most things turned right down or off and it looks like I have overhead to turn some things back on if I stay with basic aircraft.

I like the idea of tapping the headset to recenter. Saves having a button I need to keep spare. Even though I am getting the frames, it's still not really smooth but it could be I am only doing 60fps. I did not make the rift my primary display. Not sure if that makes a difference as it is working fine without it as primary.

Thanks for your work.
BG2518

Post by BG2518 »

Sorry to get involved here (something I know very little about) but may I ask you users of OC Rift if you notice or could say you are distracted by the "Rotating Clouds" situation that P3D has. Where local clouds appear to rotate to always want to face you as one looks around the exterior.

Again, sorry to interrupt but hope some may answer.

I ask because I'm fairly keen to move onto the Rift myself.

FlyIce

Post by FlyIce »

As far as I remember, the clouds that are very close still rotate in DK2. To me is not hugely distracting, just a bit of nuance. The most distracting thing is the screen door effect/low resolution of DK2 screen.
CrazyNorman

Post by CrazyNorman »

Quote:
Quote from BG2518 on September 14, 2014, 05:47

Sorry to get involved here (something I know very little about) but may I ask you users of OC Rift if you notice or could say you are distracted by the "Rotating Clouds" situation that P3D has. Where local clouds appear to rotate to always want to face you as one looks around the exterior.

Again, sorry to interrupt but hope some may answer.

I ask because I'm fairly keen to move onto the Rift myself.

I do notice the cloud rotation, but I wouldn't call it a major distraction. Pretty easy to tune out, although I hope LM manages to resolve that issue eventually.
CrazyNorman

Post by CrazyNorman »

Quote:
Quote from jharris on September 13, 2014, 23:30

Thanks for the plugin, I tried it and it's working no problems with a fresh install of p3d. I am getting the frame rates OK on i5@4.5 + 780ti. Most things turned right down or off and it looks like I have overhead to turn some things back on if I stay with basic aircraft.

I like the idea of tapping the headset to recenter. Saves having a button I need to keep spare. Even though I am getting the frames, it's still not really smooth but it could be I am only doing 60fps. I did not make the rift my primary display. Not sure if that makes a difference as it is working fine without it as primary.

Thanks for your work.

I didn't say "primary display" for no reason haha. On many computers, if the Rift is a secondary display, you will get quite a bit of judder. It may very well be that "it's still not really smooth" because it is not your primary display. Try setting your Rift as primary, and you should get a very smooth feel at 75fps!
Aplomo

Post by Aplomo »

Quote:
Quote from Zach Heylmun on September 10, 2014, 09:45

Hey Guys,

The plug-in is going well, but there are some issues we're reaching out to the Oculus folks for. There are some issues with the direct mode rendering, despite the fact that the SDK rendering is fully functional. The good news is that SDK distortion rendering works extremely well, and the plug-in will be able to run in exclusive full-screen mode independent of the main Prepar3D application. The fluidity of the position and rotation tracking at 75hz is incredibly immersive, even though it currently only works in extended mode. I would guess at least another week or two though on the timeline.

Hi Zach

hows the plugin work going? Looking fwd to direct mode :)

FlyIce

Post by FlyIce »

It's coming. Patch 2.4 is said to be released on Monday and it includes:

SDK and SimConnect Updates

Added preliminary Oculus Rift Development Kit 2 (DK2) integration sample

====================================================

The Prepar3D v2.4 update brings general bug fixes, rendering updates, as well as several requested features and enhancements to the SimDirector mission creation tool.

This v2.4 is an incremental update to fix a handful of outstanding issues present in v2.3.

The full listing of improvements, fixes, and requested enhancements is listed below.

General Platform Updates

Fixed a crash when saving/loading scenarios due to corrupt object configuration files

Custom camera orientation will now load correctly when multiple views are open

Saving the Internal Vehicle Cast setting with setting profiles

Fixed issue of blending between unlimited visibility layers

Resolved an indefinite hang when selecting the observer role in multiplayer missions

Rendering and Performance Updates

Corrected issues with batched objects and airport lighting on systems with multiple graphics cards

Fixed an issue with BGL objects that were causing a memory leak and crash

Fixed an issue with clouds being rendered quadruple the intended size

Fixed an issue with particle effect scale being larger than intended

Fixed an issue with multiple texture entries in panel configurations not being rendered

Fixed issue with vertical geometry spikes

Corrected an issue with cursors causing issues when HDR was enabled

Added transparent panel support for auxiliary windows

Fixed issues with custom camera post process settings not properly loading

General fixes to terrain shadow artifacts

Fixed issues with material z-bias level behavior not being consistent

SimDirector Updates

Added a backstage file menu to help configure the scenario, open recent files, change settings, and other useful operations

Added hotkeys for common interactions

Changed the behavior of actions so that if an action is unreferenced, then it will fire when the scenario begins

Improved the object catalog by adding extensive filtering for new users and helpful key shortcuts for power users

Improved and simplified the controls to navigate the world and manipulate objects

Added the ability to use the Time Preview window and toggle Weather Visibility while editing scenarios

Added the ability to preview text-to-speech for the DialogAction

Fixed an issue where the application would hang when creating a scenario while the Mission Incomplete message box was open

Fixed an issue where undocking windows would freeze SimDirector

Fixed an issue where the VI Sessions window was not able to be used after resetting the scenario

Fixed an issue where Panel objects would not respect the panel that they were referencing when previewing the mission

SDK and SimConnect Updates

Added preliminary Oculus Rift Development Kit 2 (DK2) integration sample

Added support for 3ds Max 2015

Added SIMCONNECT_CAMERA_SENSOR_MODE to the C# SimConnect headers

Corrected an issue with exported attach points being placed with the wrong orientation

forestguy

Post by forestguy »

saunder

Post by saunder »

I have just started using DCOC and have an issue which is either me or the software but it normally comes down to me. I have only got the virtual cockpit view, is this the only view that works if not how do you change views? I have tried in the DCOC views menu but it just reverts back to virtual cockpit.

Thanks
Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master - Intel Core i9-9900K 8 Cores 3.6GHz / 5.00GHz - Nvidia 3090 24gb - Vengeance RGB Pro 64GB DDR4, 3200MHz - 3 x 2TB - ADATA XPG Pro M.2 PCI Express 3.0 3D TLC NVMe - Cooler Master 850W Silencio
p3dfan100

Post by p3dfan100 »

The oculus integration allows for the internal view only. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that it sets up 2 camera view windows (one for each eye) that are then redirected to the oculus.

I think that providing additional external views would require a heck of a lot of rework.

You can use ezdok to move around within the cabin and indeed move beyond the cabin to get an external view, but more often than not, the external model features will be absent (they're not normally needed when you are in the cockpit)
saunder

Post by saunder »

Thank you for your reply, I can't get the camera to move with ezdok nothing happens do I have to do something different?
Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master - Intel Core i9-9900K 8 Cores 3.6GHz / 5.00GHz - Nvidia 3090 24gb - Vengeance RGB Pro 64GB DDR4, 3200MHz - 3 x 2TB - ADATA XPG Pro M.2 PCI Express 3.0 3D TLC NVMe - Cooler Master 850W Silencio