Update installer hangs at "Computing space requirements"

Any issues, problems or troubleshooting topics related to installing the Prepar3D client application or it's installer.
FloridaGuy

Post by FloridaGuy »

I tried to update my v2.3 using the 102 MB patch. The installer opened with "Computing space requirements" and the HD churned for 7 minutes with absolutely nothing happening. The "Next" button was inactive. After another minute or so I cancelled the update.

Next I downloaded a fresh copy of the patch and ran it. Same message so, after 2 or 3 minutes of waiting, I went off for a cup of coffee. When I came back the Next button was now active so I clicked on it and got a message that the installation was beginning. More waiting with nothing happening until finally a new screen with a progress bar appeared. More waiting but zero progress showing on the bar. Then noticed a line above the bar saying "Computing space requirements". Decided there was something wrong and quit. The program still runs so the installer apparently didn't change anything.

Would appreciate any ideas. Thanks.

Martyson

Post by Martyson »

My Computing space requirements took 12 then the next part took 7 minutes.

I wish they had a "progress bar" ... each system will have different times I believe.

Best Regards,
Vaughan Martell PP-ASEL (KDTW)
FloridaGuy

Post by FloridaGuy »

Thanks Vaughan. I'll give it another try.

A few days ago I did a complete update of my X-Plane 10 program to the latest version (v3.0). The installer checked all my files to determine which ones needed changing. This was the longest part with about 130,000 files. Took about 10 minutes. Then it downloaded and installed all the changes using 3 servers simultaneously. This took less than 5 minutes. Total time for an update: about 15 minutes. Total effort: zero.

I wish LM could move beyond their rinky-dink installer.

Warren
CoolGunS

Post by CoolGunS »

Yes, incredibly slow process and a misleading prompt. The full install is even worse, over half an hour. As I have mentioned in previous posts, the entire patch process needs to be built in to the launcher - LM need to be dragged into the 21st century and get with the times with a slick interface.
tdrane

Post by tdrane »

You'll want to point your vitriol toward Microsoft. This is a Microsoft Installer issue. I would assume that the installer kit came with the source for ESP.
FloridaGuy

Post by FloridaGuy »

No vitriol intended. I agree it's a Microsoft issue, at least partly brought about by the way they splattered files all across the hard drive instead of consolidating everything in one master folder.

However, LM has been at it for over two years and one would think they'd have done something to improve matters by now. This business of having to jump through so many hoops - or do a complete reinstall - just in order to do a simple upgrade safely, is ludicrous.

Cruachan

Post by Cruachan »

Quote:
Quote from FloridaGuy on October 20, 2014, 17:53

I tried to update my v2.3 using the 102 MB patch. The installer opened with "Computing space requirements" and the HD churned for 7 minutes with absolutely nothing happening. The "Next" button was inactive. After another minute or so I cancelled the update.

Next I downloaded a fresh copy of the patch and ran it. Same message so, after 2 or 3 minutes of waiting, I went off for a cup of coffee. When I came back the Next button was now active so I clicked on it and got a message that the installation was beginning. More waiting with nothing happening until finally a new screen with a progress bar appeared. More waiting but zero progress showing on the bar. Then noticed a line above the bar saying "Computing space requirements". Decided there was something wrong and quit. The program still runs so the installer apparently didn't change anything.

Would appreciate any ideas. Thanks.

Hi,

You are not alone, believe me. However, in your case it's likely that the update would succeed eventually by simply hanging on a while longer. The .msp Patch Updater's performance does seem to be very system dependent. The 'Could not write value Complete to key...' error would appear to exemplify that fact.

I suggest you avoid any further frustrations and update using the alternative route....which seems to work for most users who have experienced problems while following the recommended update path. Despite first impressions, I can assure you that the process is actually very straightforward. Just follow the steps. There is an embedded link to my original post on the subject which provides more info like, e.g. file counts.

http://www.prepar3d.com/forum-5/?mingle ... pic&t=8743

Mike