P3Dv5.4 starts up minimized on taskbar and won't maximize

Other problems or issues not covered by other troubleshooting topics.
hobbsy

P3Dv5.4 starts up minimized on taskbar and won't maximize

Post by hobbsy »

After setting up my flight in the start menu (vehicle, airport, gate, etc) and selecting OK to load up my flight, it loads up mimimized on my taskbar and every W10 fix and trick out there will not work, even if I do manage to get the Restore/maximize/minimize dialog up, it is greyed out. For now I have found a workaround by setting up my flight and then selecting Sim Director, maximizing that dialog, then closing it and my flight will load and then my sim seems fine and I can finish a flight, exit the sim and then restart another flight and it loads.

Now for the weird part. This started after I uninstalled Orbx TerraFora v2 because I was not impressed with the results and when I started up P3D again, the above happened. Using the above workaround I got things working again and figured there is something wrong with Orbx installation though their libary app, but it happened again after dolng a routine driver update, so I am completely baffled by this one.

Now every time I do anything on my system I wonder if my sim will work as I am pretty sure this is not a Orbx problem and have actually reinstall TerrFlora and with the help of Envshade have got things looking good.
Realy need help with this one.

W10
i7 12700k
RTX3060 12g Vram
32g Ram
hobbsy

Re: P3Dv5.4 starts up minimized on taskbar and won't maximize

Post by hobbsy »

Anything from support on this?
JorgenSA

Post by JorgenSA »

So, did P3D do this when you first flew after installation? If it behaved "normally" at that time, then something you did in the mean time caused this behavior. P3D cannot do such things on its own.

The solution, however, may be quite easy. With P3D shut down, delete the prepar3d.cfg file, which you find in C:\Users\%Your User Name%\AppData\Roaming\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3d v5. When you start P3D the next time, the file will be re-generated. If your have made changes to the file yourself, make a backup copy, and if you want to add some entries back in the new file, do so ONE AT A TIME, so you know which entry to blame if something goes wrong.

Let us know how it goes -

Jorgen
System: i5-12600K@4.9 GHz, ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-I motherboard, 32 GB 4800 MHz DDR5 RAM, Gainward RTX 3060 w/ 12 GB DDR6 VRAM, Windows 10 Pro.

All views and opinions expressed here are entirely my own. I am not a Lockheed-Martin employee.
hobbsy

Post by hobbsy »

Hi Jorgen,
Yes this a new install with v5.4 about a month ago after building a new rig. I have added zero tweaks to my config and have reinstalled all but a hanfull of add on airports.

I can tell to “exactly” when this happened, apart from the few airport addons I mentioned, the last addon I installed was a newly purchased Orbx TerraFora v2 which was installed through there library app (the only way you can do it) and as I said in my OP, I wasn’t happy at the time with was I saw so using Orbx library, I uninstalled it. That is the exact point at which I lost P3D to the taskbar.

As I said, P3D is working right now and I will have to see what happens when I finish my airport installs. I will regenerate anther config if it ocurrs again though.

Regards,
JorgenSA

Post by JorgenSA »

Interesting! I installed TerraFlora also, was not too happy with it, and uninstalled it, just like you. But no odd side-effects on this end!

Anyway, your installation is working now, and that's what counts.

Happy flying -

Jorgen
System: i5-12600K@4.9 GHz, ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-I motherboard, 32 GB 4800 MHz DDR5 RAM, Gainward RTX 3060 w/ 12 GB DDR6 VRAM, Windows 10 Pro.

All views and opinions expressed here are entirely my own. I am not a Lockheed-Martin employee.