Oculus VR Controllers?

Any issues, problems or troubleshooting topics related to the additional features present in the Prepar3D Professional Plus client application.
maajr57

Oculus VR Controllers?

Post by maajr57 »

Do we have the ability to use Oculus controllers in VR?
If so, how do we set them up?
Beau Hollis
Lockheed Martin

Re: Oculus VR Controllers?

Post by Beau Hollis »

Motional controller support is limited to SteamVR. If the oculus is used via SteamVR interface, the controllers should work. The only thing motion controllers are currently used for however is mixed reality portal editing. While the rift S has a pass-though camera , I don't believe it is can be accessed via the SteamVR camera interfaces that Prepar3D uses to support AR/MR camera overlays. HTC and Valve HMDs have working pass-though cameras support via SteamVR.
Beau Hollis
Prepar3D Software Architect
maajr57

Post by maajr57 »

Thank you for the reply Beau!
Unfortunately, I did not buy the program on Steam. Should the program have different functionality depending on which venue I bought it from? I own and use Prepared V4 and X-Plane V11.5. I also understand that Microsoft will have VR soon. What is LM waiting for? The headsets are supported so get the manipulators to work!!! How is it possible that a small shop like X-Plane can produce a flight sim more useful for flight training than LM with all LM's knowledge and resources??
I have a significant investment in P3D with the scenery and planes I have bought. I won't be upgrading until VR is fully functional.
Thanks again Beau for the reply.
Beau Hollis
Lockheed Martin

Post by Beau Hollis »

Prepar3D is not available on steam. Sorry if I wasn't clear. however we integrate with the OpenVR API so that our software can work with the SteamVR runtime. This is how we provide native support for HTC, and Valve HMDs. Oculus provides drivers for SteamVR though, so if you have Steam/SteamVR installed, you have the option of using either integration. Even though you are using Oculus, you could still enable VR by selecting SteamVR in our Virtual Reality menu. If you do that, you'll be able to use your oculus controllers. We export some basic motion controller state info via our SDK for add-ons to use, but as previously mentioned, we only use motion controller for setting up mixed reality portals. We are very committed to supporting serious training scenarios with virtual and mixed reality. In our experience, VR training devices almost always utilize a joystick and throttle or even a full physical cockpit, which is why there hasn't been much emphasis placed on using the VR controllers for cockpit interactions.
Beau Hollis
Prepar3D Software Architect
maajr57

Post by maajr57 »

Thanks again for the reply Beau,
To be honest, some of what you said went over my head. I am not using Steam. I am using a mixed reality setup with a Saitek Yoke and Throttle Quadrant and CH Products Foot Pedals and Oculus Rift Headset. After thinking about our recent post, the VR manipulators are really no more than another form of mouse to work the controls in the plane although the manipulators are more realistic. Not being a programmer, I don't know why the manipulators would not be supported or useable in Prepar3d. Setting up a full mixed reality cockpit for multiple planes is obviously impractical which is why the manipulators are important. Flying in VR with a yoke and pedals and a Manipulator in one hand to work the controls is a very realistic experience. I would recommend that you try it in X-Plane to see for yourself if you haven't already. I hope you will reconsider the importance of the manipulator in VR and build the necessary support for the manipulator devices into the platform. Thanks again for responding.

Documents like maps and checklists and flight plans are also necessary in the cockpit for realistic VR flying. X-Plane has Avitab. What does P3D have? FlyInside was available as a solution through version 4. This function should be built into the platform so developers can input the docs to be visible in the VR cockpit. I have had multiple discussions with A2A about why their docs pop up and are visible but are in the way and not moveable. They are doing their best with the tools LM has given them.

Virtual Reality is the future of flight simulation. I hope my money spent for Prepar3d, the planes and the scenery doesn't go to waste.

Thanks again Beau. Happy New Year!
aceridgey

Post by aceridgey »

Occulus quest 2 works out of the box for me with the cable.

It's not perfect but I know VR 90% of my P3d time.

Just select OCCULUS in the VR menu and you're away.