Helicopter Hoise Cable

Other problems or issues not covered by other troubleshooting topics.
thommoj

Helicopter Hoise Cable

Post by thommoj »

Hi all,

I'm not sure if I'm missing something or if its a bug (which has been present for at least all of v4 and now in v5) but once finished using the helicopter hoist it doesn't disappear (image below)...you have to keep flying with this line flapping around everywhere. Am I missing something or can it possibly be fixed? It appears on all helo's i've set slings in.

Obviously I'm retracting the hoist once used etc. Any help would be much appreciated.

Cheers
thommoj

Re: Helicopter Hoise Cable

Post by thommoj »

Hi LM,

Realise it's a low priority in contract but just wondering if this is something you can look at? Here is another image of it dangling by the side after performing a winch operation out at sea...

Surely it doesn't require a complex fix (apologies in advance if my ignorance is incorrect!)

Cheers
corbu1

Post by corbu1 »

Yes, I know this behaviour,too. Once you have activated the hoist cable and winched it few feet down...then moving it up again. The hoist cable is visible for the rest of the flight, no matter you deactivate the hoist or not.
This already exists in former P3d versions....
thommoj

Post by thommoj »

Hi All,

Any update on this, perhaps add a quick fix to V5.1 HF1, that would be great!!!

Cheers
JorgenSA

Post by JorgenSA »

Which aircraft is this?

I do not see any Bell helicopters in Simobjects\Rotorcraft....

Jorgen
System: i5-12600K@4.9 GHz, ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-I motherboard, 32 GB 4800 MHz DDR5 RAM, Gainward RTX 3060 w/ 12 GB DDR6 VRAM, Windows 10 Pro.

All views and opinions expressed here are entirely my own. I am not a Lockheed-Martin employee.
thommoj

Post by thommoj »

This is the CERA Bell 412, there is no reason to find it in your SimObjects if you don't own it.
JorgenSA

Post by JorgenSA »

Ah, that would explain why I didn't find it!

But for the hoist cable, then you need to contact its developers. Since it's not a default aircraft, then it's not an L-M issue.

Jorgen
System: i5-12600K@4.9 GHz, ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-I motherboard, 32 GB 4800 MHz DDR5 RAM, Gainward RTX 3060 w/ 12 GB DDR6 VRAM, Windows 10 Pro.

All views and opinions expressed here are entirely my own. I am not a Lockheed-Martin employee.
thommoj

Post by thommoj »

Jorgen,

This is the case on all rotorcraft. It is an L-M issue, and it is something that needs to be fixed. Hoist's and sling's have been part of the simulator since day 1, it was an original FSX feature. They are referred to in the SDK for all versions of P3D.

Please do your research before making such statements, I have done mine, i wouldn't have asked if it wasn't an LM issue.

Cheers
JorgenSA

Post by JorgenSA »

Since this is a common feature for all helicopters, you say, wouldn't it then seem fair that the hoist/cable assembly was a texture of some sorts that could be re-used in other models?

I checked out the common v. 5.1 textures, nothing named hoist there, and no such textures under the MH-60 either (and the MH-60 certainly should have them). In FSX, the EH-101 doesn't have any such textures either...

And forgive me my ignorance, but how are they referred to in the SDK?

Jorgen

corbu1

Post by corbu1 »

thommoj wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 8:32 am Hi All,

Any update on this, perhaps add a quick fix to V5.1 HF1, that would be great!!!

Cheers
I also see this still in v5.1.
thommoj

Post by thommoj »

JorgenSA wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 3:42 pm Since this is a common feature for all helicopters, you say, wouldn't it then seem fair that the hoist/cable assembly was a texture of some sorts that could be re-used in other models?

I checked out the common v. 5.1 textures, nothing named hoist there, and no such textures under the MH-60 either (and the MH-60 certainly should have them). In FSX, the EH-101 doesn't have any such textures either...

And forgive me my ignorance, but how are they referred to in the SDK?

Jorgen
No Jorgen, it is not a texture so it is not fair. I don't know how it is specifially built into the system but you can activate it (search for hoist or sling in P3D default controls), lower/raise the hoist and hook objects/people.

If you do a quick text search for "Hoist" in the SDK overview linked below you will see it. You can find it referred to in the Aircraft.cfg section also, plus many more references.

https://www.prepar3d.com/SDKv4/sdk/sdk_overview.html

I think, rather then debate its existence, LM should be focussing on fixing this, it should be fairly simple given its a legacy element.
thommoj

Post by thommoj »

Extract from the following location:

https://www.prepar3d.com/SDKv5/sdk/simu ... stems.html

JorgenSA

Post by JorgenSA »

First of all, I must apologize for my wordings and eat the hat that I do not have, without salt!

Second, I must extend my thanks for providing this information - really interesting.

Then come the questions!

I would believe that the hoist cable could be (sorta) slack and not quite straight when lowering the cable with no load on it, but it should certainly be straight and taut when reeling it in under load. Is it like that when you do hoist operation in the helicopters you have?

Jorgen

thommoj

Post by thommoj »

All good!

Yes, the hoist works as you have mentioned above. The issue is that once you are finished using the hoist you can't "hide" it again and so for the rest of your flight you have 1m of cable dangling from the winch. Quite unrealistic.
JorgenSA

Post by JorgenSA »

I agree, quite unrealistic, and never done in real life.

I cannot think of a winch operator that would leave 1 meter of cable, with a heavy hook and weight attached to it, dangling around and posing a real danger to the aircraft, innocent bystanders and himself. I do remember from my time in helicopters that when we (army "passengers") were winched in, the operator would reel all the cable in at once.

Jorgen