P3D v5 HF2 controls stop responding after 7 hours

Any issues, problems or troubleshooting topics related to the Prepar3D client application.
Nikolaj Delaney

P3D v5 HF2 controls stop responding after 7 hours

Post by Nikolaj Delaney »

Hi, I have encoutered this strange issue where after 7 hours of running, P3D will stop responding to inputs from the joystick, mouse and keyboard.

The autopilot in the plane also stops functioning and, depending on the aircraft, it will start losing or gaining altitude, deviate from course, and eventually fall to the ground. Changing views to outside also stops working via hotkey. Manual input will disable the autopilot and move the controls in the virtual cockpit in some ways (but not all axis) but control surfaces of the plane will not respond at all.

Short of going addon by addon and reinstalling P3D completely I dare to say I have tried every troubleshooting step I could think of including:

Not use ActiveSky
Not use Chaseplane
Default scenario, on the ground (no flight)
reset FSUIPC to defaults (this seemed to help)
disable FSUIPC
roll back to FSUIPC 6.0.9
update Navigraph Simlink
uninstall Navigraph Simlink
update VCRedists
update Windows
update Nvidia Drivers
update ActiveSky from Beta 7 to Beta 8
reinstall IVAO client
repair P3D installation

It seemed to be fixed a few days ago but the an update to GSX made me reinstall VCRedists again (helps with the Simconnect CTD for me) and since the issue is present again. However I fail to see a relation to VC runtimes.

Here is an overview of the testing I performed over the last couple of weeks: Image

My PC:
R7 3700X
32GB RAM
GTX 1080
1TB NVMe OS SSD, 1TB SATA P3D SSD
3440x1440p monitor

Addons:

ActiveSky Beta 8
FSUIPC 6.0.10
GSX Level 2 2.9.1
QW 787 1.3.1
PMDG 737, 747 (latest versions)
FSL A320, A321 (latest versions)
Various Carenado Aircraft (E55P, C172, DA62, SR22...)
ORBX Global, OpenLC EU, NA, SA, EU Germany, Norway, GB
various sceneries installed by the addon method
Lorby-SI addon organizer
Navigraph FMS data
Chaseplane 1.2.44

Everything P3D related is excluded from antivirus.

I am frankly lost as to how to get rid of this freeze. I have also managed to get in touch with 3 other people experiencing the same issue. I wonder if anyone here has experienced this and if so, if you managed to fix it. I would prefer not to spend the next 2 weeks reinstalling everything only to find out it still doesn't work.
Last edited by Nikolaj Delaney on Fri Oct 09, 2020 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Martyson

Re: P3D v5 controls stop responding after 7 hours

Post by Martyson »

@ Nikolaj Delaney ,

You mentioned :
"Hi, I have encoutered this strange issue where after 7 hours of running, P3D will stop responding to inputs from the joystick, mouse and keyboard."

Are you at the PC flying the the plane for those 7 hours?

Which P3Dv5 xxxx version number ?
Best Regards,
Vaughan Martell PP-ASEL (KDTW)
Nikolaj Delaney

Hi, yes when flying I monitor the flight throughout. When troubleshooting this I would periodically test the controls response. During that time the computer is at most running Discord.

Not sure what is the purpose of your question.

P3D v5.0.31 (HF2)
Martyson

Post by Martyson »

Nikolaj Delaney wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 1:47 pm
Hi, yes when flying I monitor the flight throughout. When troubleshooting this I would periodically test the controls response. During that time the computer is at most running Discord.

Not sure what is the purpose of your question.

P3D v5.0.31 (HF2)
@ Nikolaj Delaney ,

What were you doing / flying / flight situation when the problem first started?

Was WIN10 doing an Update?
Were any of your Add-ons updating?

Is the problem repeatable no matter the flight or flight duration?

Have you seen your problem previously posed?
Best Regards,
Vieira12

Re: P3D v5 HF2 controls stop responding after 7 hours

Post by Vieira12 »

I am having this issue as well similar add ons as above just happens on the 7 hours or after always anything bellow it’s fine
Martyson

Post by Martyson »

Vieira12 wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 1:59 pm I am having this issue as well similar add ons as above just happens on the 7 hours or after always anything bellow it’s fine
@ Vieira12 ,

what are your system specs?

watching this.
Best Regards,
Vieira12

Post by Vieira12 »

P3dv5 hf2 i9900k 1080ti 16gb ddr4 ssd nv2 500gb hard drive windows 10 pro latest updates on
Martyson

Post by Martyson »

Vieira12 wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 3:26 pm P3dv5 hf2 i9900k 1080ti 16gb ddr4 ssd nv2 500gb hard drive windows 10 pro latest updates on
@ Vieira12,

Best Regards,
Nunez12

Post by Nunez12 »

Hi there exactly same issue in my end in any aircraft pmdg fs labs maddog etc etc 7 hours or after my system specs are as follow i9900k at 5gzh 32 gb ddr4 nmv2 1tb hard drive windows 10 pro and I am on p3dv5hf2
Martyson

Post by Martyson »

Nunez12 wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 3:33 pm Hi there exactly same issue in my end in any aircraft pmdg fs labs maddog etc etc 7 hours or after my system specs are as follow i9900k at 5gzh 32 gb ddr4 nmv2 1tb hard drive windows 10 pro and I am on p3dv5hf2
@ Nunez12 ,

Have you e.g., asked about your problem on PMDG forum ?

You do or do not use FSUIPC ?
Best Regards,
Vieira12

Post by Vieira12 »

No updates in the back ground of any kind this happens anytime with 7hours flights or more as long as I don’t exit the sim it happens I can ear the sound and the image fine it looks like that simmconnect it’s losing the connection with the sim at some point as chaseplane becomes unresponsive so it won’t change views the views will disappear from the presets page , no input of controls on the joystick , active sky says that it’s waiting for the sim but the sim it’s still on and flying it’s very strange never had this issue before it doesn’t make a difference if you are on the ground or on the air the tests I have done I leave the engines running on the ground and it happens if I am flying it will happen as well but only after 7 hours like I said and the others above
Nunez12

Post by Nunez12 »

Martyson wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 3:37 pm
Nunez12 wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 3:33 pm Hi there exactly same issue in my end in any aircraft pmdg fs labs maddog etc etc 7 hours or after my system specs are as follow i9900k at 5gzh 32 gb ddr4 nmv2 1tb hard drive windows 10 pro and I am on p3dv5hf2
@ Nunez12 ,

I do use fsuipc but I have tried without it and it’s still happening I have not asked in the pmdg forum as it’s happening with all the aircraft I use fs labs maddog .pmdg
Martyson

Post by Martyson »

Vieira12 wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 3:40 pm No updates in the back ground of any kind this happens anytime with 7hours flights or more as long as I don’t exit the sim it happens I can ear the sound and the image fine it looks like that simmconnect it’s losing the connection with the sim at some point as chaseplane becomes unresponsive so it won’t change views the views will disappear from the presets page , no input of controls on the joystick , active sky says that it’s waiting for the sim but the sim it’s still on and flying it’s very strange never had this issue before it doesn’t make a difference if you are on the ground or on the air the tests I have done I leave the engines running on the ground and it happens if I am flying it will happen as well but only after 7 hours like I said and the others above
@ Vieira12 ,

Did you get this error with a default P3D install when first testing the default setup before any Add-ons?
Best Regards,
Martyson

Post by Martyson »

Nunez12 wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 3:43 pm
Martyson wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 3:37 pm
@ Nunez12 ,

I do use fsuipc but I have tried without it and it’s still happening I have not asked in the pmdg forum as it’s happening with all the aircraft I use fs labs maddog .pmdg
@ Nunez12 ,

You need to check with PMDG forum and see what other PMDG pilots have to say.

Many on that forum do long hauls.

Did you get this error with a default P3D install when first testing the default setup before any Add-ons?
Best Regards,
Nikolaj Delaney

Martyson wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 1:51 pm
@ Nikolaj Delaney ,

The problem first occured about 2-3 months ago during a long haul flight, in cruise at about FL370, QW789.

the controls locked up and the plane started falling to the ground, hit the ocean. The only thing to mitigate this is to save the scenario (which works) or load the latest autosave by FSUIPC.

AFAIK Windows 10 updates are on but shouldn't run when the computer is used.
Don't know what you mean. ActiveSky usually stays connected to P3D, as well as Simlink and IVAO client pulling data from Simconnect AFAIK.

It happens every time the sim is started and runs for more than 7 hours, whether on ground or in the air.

I haven't seen other people posting about this but I'm also not the only person who experiences the issue.