HF1&2 - Gradually increasing CPU usage followed by deteriorating fps

Any issues, problems or troubleshooting topics related to the Prepar3D client application.
kevinfirth

HF1&2 - Gradually increasing CPU usage followed by deteriorating fps

Post by kevinfirth »

This situation existed for me previously in v5HF1 and has carried over into v5HF2.

I can start a scenario and leave it for about 30 mins, during which time the CPU use gradually increases over time, even though the user a/c and scenery are static. Upon reaching 100% core 0 CPU use, the fps (previously vsynced at 30fps) then gradually deteriorates too, sometimes as low as single figures.

I initially found this problem using the Majestic Q400, with Orbx TE UK North with UK2000 new EGPF Glasgow scenery.
To eliminate scenery and officially unsupported a/c as the cause I ran the same scenario in several configurations.
1. With Orbx TE UK N and UK2000 EGPF active, but with the default F35 aircraft - Same results - after approx. 30mins core0 CPU was at 100% and fps deteriorating
2. With OrbX TE UK N active and UK2000 EGPF disabled - Same results - after approx. 30mins core0 CPU was at 100% and fps deteriorating
3. With OrbX and UK2000 EGPF disabled (default scenery), with Majestic Q400 - Same results - after approx. 30mins core 0 CPU was at 100% and fps deteriorating

So it would appear that I have the same replicable problem, both with addon and default a/c, and in addon and default scenery.
This would indicate that it is neither the a/c nor the scenery causing the exhibited problem.

Please see 2 videos:
1. https://youtu.be/Ix9mKmaMRTs - Scenario 1 above - 30mins in length, from scenario start to gradual increase to 100% core 0 use
2. https://youtu.be/nhpTfgMDXOg - Scenario 3 above - 43secs in length (approx. 30mins after scenario start) to show the end result being 100% core 0 use
JorgenSA

Re: HF1&2 - Gradually increasing CPU usage followed by deteriorating fps

Post by JorgenSA »

Have you tried a similar test without any add-ons at all installed?

Both ORBX and UK2000 have libraries etc. that remain installed and in effect, even though the sceneries themselves are deactivated.

Jorgen
System: i5-12600K@4.9 GHz, ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-I motherboard, 32 GB 4800 MHz DDR5 RAM, Gainward RTX 3060 w/ 12 GB DDR6 VRAM, Windows 10 Pro.

All views and opinions expressed here are entirely my own. I am not a Lockheed-Martin employee.
kevinfirth

Post by kevinfirth »

JorgenSA wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 3:04 pm Have you tried a similar test without any add-ons at all installed?

Both ORBX and UK2000 have libraries etc. that remain installed and in effect, even though the sceneries themselves are deactivated.

Jorgen
Jorgen, please re-read my post, but to confirm, yes, all relevant libraries relating to those addons were also deactivated at the same time thanks
Sabre57

Post by Sabre57 »

I'm having the same issue with gradually decreasing FPS until I receive the dreaded device hung error. If I catch it before the error and reset the flight the FPS jumps back up. I'm using Orbx and haven't had a chance to test without it yet.
I9-9900
32GB RAM
RTX 3090 FTW
Assorted SSDs and HDDs
3x55" TVs
Alpha/Bravo Honeycombs
SPAD.Next, ASV6
Simbol

Post by Simbol »

You guys using 3D dynamic trees by any chance?

S/
CEO Flight Sim Technologies Ltd
Oficial Website: https://www.FSReborn.com
Sabre57

Post by Sabre57 »

Simbol wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 11:33 am You guys using 3D dynamic trees by any chance?

S/

No.
I9-9900
32GB RAM
RTX 3090 FTW
Assorted SSDs and HDDs
3x55" TVs
Alpha/Bravo Honeycombs
SPAD.Next, ASV6
Simbol

Post by Simbol »

Sabre57 wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 1:02 pm
Simbol wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 11:33 am You guys using 3D dynamic trees by any chance?

S/

No.
What about navigraph simlink.. do you use that?
Sabre57

Post by Sabre57 »

Simbol wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 1:13 pm
Sabre57 wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 1:02 pm

S/

No.
What about navigraph simlink.. do you use that?
No. Other than Orbx I only have ASP3D.
I9-9900
32GB RAM
RTX 3090 FTW
Assorted SSDs and HDDs
3x55" TVs
Alpha/Bravo Honeycombs
SPAD.Next, ASV6
Simbol

Post by Simbol »

Sabre57 wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 1:02 pm No. Other than Orbx I only have ASP3D.
What happens if you reduce your AI traffic to 0% aka disable it? can you do that and test?

S.
Sabre57

Post by Sabre57 »

I "may" have found the issue. I disabled Orbx and ASP3d and loaded up the commander. Everything was fine and stable. I added in ASP3D, beta 6, with fair weather and the numbers went up but not by much, everything seemed fine. I added Orbx back in and same results, numbers went up but no crashes. Then I fired up Air Manager, Again the number went up but no real issues. Until that is I was on final and landed. The FPS started to drop from around 25 or so down to around 18. Hmmm. I looked at task manager and the only thing that stood out was the number of handles was at 200k and climbing. So I shutdown air manager and the handles immediately dropped to about 68k and over the course of about 30 seconds the fps came back up to about 25. It appears that Air manager has a handle leak. In my previous observation the weather was more robust so the impact was greater and a shorter duration achieved the crash. I'm not saying this is solved yet as I still have more testing to do but it looks like I have a direction to go. So it's off to the Sim Innovation forums.
I9-9900
32GB RAM
RTX 3090 FTW
Assorted SSDs and HDDs
3x55" TVs
Alpha/Bravo Honeycombs
SPAD.Next, ASV6
Simbol

Post by Simbol »

Sabre57 wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 10:44 pm It appears that Air manager has a handle leak. In my previous observation the weather was more robust so the impact was greater and a shorter duration achieved the crash. I'm not saying this is solved yet as I still have more testing to do but it looks like I have a direction to go. So it's off to the Sim Innovation forums.

Can you tell me what is this AIR Manager? links, etc.?

Regards,

Simbol
Sabre57

Post by Sabre57 »

Air Manager is an application for displaying instruments outside of the sim. It can either run on your sim machine or another one via your network.

https://www.siminnovations.com/
I9-9900
32GB RAM
RTX 3090 FTW
Assorted SSDs and HDDs
3x55" TVs
Alpha/Bravo Honeycombs
SPAD.Next, ASV6
simpaty

Post by simpaty »

Having exactly the same issue with P3D v5 HF2.
IT starts very well, but over time, the GPU Load decreases and CPU increases, bringing down enormously the FPS.

My System:

I7 10700k
GTX 1080ti
32 GB RAM @ 3600Mhz
Asus Prim Z490-A

Addons used: Aerosoft Airbus A320 Professional v1.4.0.1
ORBX GLOBAL (BASE, VECTOR, LANDCLASS EUROPE)
ASP3D latest beta

This is what happened:

I took off LPPT, great Frame-rates (around 50), direction EBBR. Default scenery.
My Sim is set to pause at TOD. This morning I woke up, sim was paused as expected. as I unpaused it (I was at 36000 ft) I see immediately a hige drop of frames (25 FPS, sometimes going down to 12). CPU was being used at 60%, GPU at around 40.
This is NOT normal. When I took off the previous evening, I saw GPU usage at 99%, and CPU usage around 10-12%.

I tried to disable Enhanced Athmospheric as I thought that was the issue, but this was not the cause.

It seems that on medium to long hauls (flights longer than 2 hours), performances deteriorate a lot!
mark767

Post by mark767 »

Reposting what I posted on Avsim. I have this issue as well, although I don't notice the CPU usage going to 100%, I notice every increasing spikes in the CPU usage and steady drop in framerates until single digits. Happens over time and just gets worse the longer the flight is.

computer is 8700K, 1080Ti card. 16Gig ram.

-----------------------------------------------------

Here is the latest update on this issue.

Test #1 - Turned of all addons in the sim menu. Flew KBOS to KSFO, PMDG 744. First 3 hours was no problem, good frame rates, maybe noticed some instances of a slight drop in framerates. I really started to notice it within an hour of descent and during the decent and approach it just got worse and worse until we hit the single digit slideshow upon landing.

Test #2 - renamed by P3Dv5 Addons folder and did the flight a second time. So nothing running except Chaseplane and the PMDG744. Much better but again on descent and approach the single digit frames appear and we are back to a slideshow again....not as bad of a slideshow but still a problem.

Test #3 - no time or energy to redo the flight again so just did a KSFO to KSFO flight circuit of about 40 minutes. This time I turned off the XML.EXE files that contained Chaseplane, RAAS Pro and the PMDG stuff. So literally nothing running in the sim except the PMDG744. The flight was smooth but there were still times where the spike in CPU happened and frames dropped down by 50% or more.

Based on the tests above with essentially everything turned off I think this is a problem of the sim itself and not any of the addons. I was thinking of uninstalling everything and starting over but if its the sim, will that actually do anything? It is strange how its only impacting some people but clearly there is a problem.

By the way, checking the CPU, it was not running at 100%, there were spikes when the drop happened but not constant high load. Video card was steady with lots of headroom as well and no spikes.
zalcantar

Post by zalcantar »

I had this happen to me just now, reminded me of this thread. Flying along and all of a sudden the FPS just plummets, P3D is using 96% of the CPU. I paused the sim, opened graphics settings, closed without making a change that helped for a few minutes then it came right back. Finally I opened a web browser to head to this forum and then the CPU went down to about 55-60% which is normally what I see. Left the browser window open and it's been decent since, but not the smooth fps I've been seeing lately. Don't know why today is different.
Zalcantar
MSI GE75 Raider 9SF laptop -Windows 10 version 1909 -i9-9880H -RTX 2070 8GB -32 GB DDR4 -V5 HF2 -ASP3D B7 w/ASCA -ORBX NA/EUR/Base/Vector - PROATCX -High settings/Dense AG -Locked @36fps -EA on -Stable for now