Improved dealing with OOM situations

Post your feature requests here. Note that we cannot promise that any of these posts will be commented on or that requested features will be implemented.
FSMP

Post by FSMP »

While FSX was in development, OOM's were not so frequent, as addons were not that memory hungry.

Since FSX stopped being developed, the occurrences of OOM has risen, to become one of the most disabling features of FSX, and in turn, of P3D.

Ref: http://forum.avsim.net/topic/389704-fsx ... l-patcher/

One programmer has suggested a possible improvement to api.dll, to stop the drastic closing down of FSX when memory limits are reached.

Since we are probably some considerable time away from a 64 bit version of P3D, where OOM's will be hopefully be a thing of the past, would it be beneficial for change P3D's action of closing down P3D when a OOM situation is detected. ?

Maybe some automatic reducing of some sliders,(or similar memory reducing action) to allow the Sim to continue to operate, even in a reduced capacity, rather than the current abrupt Shut Down.

While a similar Patching of P3D's Api.dll might be possible, it would be far better if the changes were coded by LM, which might allow a far more elegant solution.
FSMP

Post by FSMP »

I a really surprised that both "P3D Users" and LM are all over this one !!

[img]http://bugslasher.files.wordpress.com/2 ... .jpg?w=300[/img]
sim4life

Post by sim4life »

I'm pretty sure this is one of the major problems that is being solved in Prepar3d V2.

Remember that LM is focused on performance and reliability first, before anything else.
FSMP

Post by FSMP »

Quote:
Quote from sim4life on November 7, 2012, 10:28

I'm pretty sure this is one of the major problems that is being solved in Prepar3d V2.

Remember that LM is focused on performance and reliability first, before anything else.

And you base this on what ? ( a hope and a prayer ?)

So far, in all the P3D Forum Posts, I have not seen this even mentioned, let alone any statement from LM, that they are looking into changing Memory Management in P3D. (apart from mentions on 64 bit in the far future)