New PC Build Review

Any issues, problems or troubleshooting topics related to computer hardware and the Prepar3D client application
Ridgeandgable

New PC Build Review

Post by Ridgeandgable »

Hi Guys

Building a new pc to run P3d V4.2

This is what I've picked

Case
PCS GENESIS G1B CASE + SD CARD READER

Processor (CPU)
Intel® Core™ i9 Eight Core Processor i9-9900K (3.6GHz) 16MB Cache

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 UD: ATX, LG1151, USB 3.1, SATA 6GBs - RGB Ready

Memory (RAM)
16GB Corsair VENGEANCE DDR4 3000MHz (2 x 8GB)
Graphics Card

8GB AMD RADEON™ RX 5700 XT - HDMI, DP - DX® 12 (Main Display 2x 27" total at 3840x1080)
8GB AMD RADEON RX 580 (Panal Windows) 3x 1440 x 786

1st Storage Drive
250GB SEAGATE BARRACUDA 2.5" SSD, (upto 560MB/sR | 530MB/sW)

Power Supply
CORSAIR 1000W RMx SERIES™ MODULAR 80 PLUS® GOLD, ULTRA QUIET

Processor Cooling
CoolerMaster MasterLiquid Lite 240 High Performance Liquid Cooler

I'm aiming for High - Ultra settings with hopefully minimum 30fps
Addons I use are

PMDG 737 NGX

Orbix Base
Orbix Scotland
Orbix EU
FSUIPC
MobiFlight
Active Sky

Does anyone see any issues before I spend ££££
JorgenSA

Re: New PC Build Review

Post by JorgenSA »

You definitely want a processor that runs faster than 3.6 GHz. The i7 7700K runs at 4.2 GHz natively, and mine is overclocked to 4.66 GHz with air cooling and no temperature issues.

I don't know how far a 9900K can be overclocked, but bear in mind that if you overclock, then any and all warranty goes out the window.

Also, P3D is primarily a single-threaded application, so the number of cores in the CPU doesn't really matter. Raw clock speed does.

For graphics card, forget the AMD and go with nVidia. Also get the same model of card, if you need more than one, to get different models invites a driver nightmare.

Just my bent nickel's worth of thought (or, since you seem to be in the UK, my bent half-crown) -

Jorgen
System: i5-12600K@4.9 GHz, ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-I motherboard, 32 GB 4800 MHz DDR5 RAM, Gainward RTX 3060 w/ 12 GB DDR6 VRAM, Windows 10 Pro.

All views and opinions expressed here are entirely my own. I am not a Lockheed-Martin employee.
Ridgeandgable

Post by Ridgeandgable »

Hi Jorgen

The PC is liquid cooled and been told by the shop that it will easily clock to 4.8 / 5 with what I have, no warranty affected as this is done for me in the shop. The only thing they won't clock is the graphics, but I don't think I need it
CplDaniel

Post by CplDaniel »

Today, I would add at this sale price Intel's 660pSeries 2-TB NVMe PCI3.0(x4) SSD = $182
https://pcpartpicker.com/product/7MQG3C ... knw020t8x1
Daniel
CplDaniel

Post by CplDaniel »

P3d is one of the few programs in which higher RAM speed has created noticeably improved performance. I think you can get better RAM for about the same price. Currently, I think PC3200-PC3400 is the sweet spot these days before the price starts going up fast. (Don't forget to note the CAS latency. If it says CAS 19ms @ 3200 mhz, then it's trash-bin silicon. At that speed, CAS 14 or lower is the goal, 16 is acceptable if price is right, but above 16 at that speed is the bad-wafer trash bin silicon).
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Definitely DO NOT expect to mix video cards. Supposedly the tech has been out there since DX-12 to do that...But I've never actually scene it demonstrated or proven in ANY application, EVER.
Also, P3d v4 uses DX-11 anyway.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'm a big proponent of the NVMe drive that I posted above. The 2TB, PCIe3.0(x4), at $182 is practically a steal for that much SSD power, especially for big P3d Add-on Files.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I think a i9 9900k for Over-clocking is well paired with a 360mm liquid radiator to meet it's cooling needs at over 5Ghz (Just in case you WIN the Silicon lottery)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you really wanna go all out, today at NewEgg is MSI 2080ti SEAHAWK which has built-in liquid cooling of the 11GB 2080ti graphics card for $1,049 after $100 off coupon code and then $1,019 after $30 Mail-in rebate. I don't think a better deal for a new Nvidia 2080ti will ever be found (I've seen them go below $1k but never with built-in liquid cooling)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Might edit with more later after checking PC Part Picker
Daniel
CplDaniel

Post by CplDaniel »

Checking youtube reviews: The power-delivery hardware of the Gigabyte z390 boards improves and then plateaus starting @ the Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Elite ($169)
If you wanna ensure no VRM problem or chipset overheating issues, it may be wise to go Gigabyte Aorus Elite (or higher) because Gigabyte's engineers appear to have faith in that board's electrical layout which they then used in EVERY Gigabyte board at every price-points for the next $120 over the Aurous Elite's ($169); only getting another hardware improvement on the two highest tier models at $300 and $500 Extreme-series motherboard
(which are surely overkill, but overkill is what people paying $500 for a motherboard are paying for)
Daniel
Ridgeandgable

Post by Ridgeandgable »

Hi Guys

Thanks for all the input so far. PC Has been ordered, but I've since been advised to change the CPU to AMD Ryzen 9 3900x as its base speed is 3.8 boosting to 4.6 and has the PCI-E 4.0, also told with the AMD RX 5700 XT I'll get better frames with a full AMD system

Anyone any info on this.. How does AMD work with P3D, is switching now before they start building it on Monday a more viable option, or should I stick with I9 9900k?
JorgenSA

Post by JorgenSA »

Stick with the i9, as Intel CPU have a more efficient instruction handling per clock cycle.

And forget about "boost speed", you want a permanent high clock rate.

Jorgen
System: i5-12600K@4.9 GHz, ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-I motherboard, 32 GB 4800 MHz DDR5 RAM, Gainward RTX 3060 w/ 12 GB DDR6 VRAM, Windows 10 Pro.

All views and opinions expressed here are entirely my own. I am not a Lockheed-Martin employee.
Ridgeandgable

Post by Ridgeandgable »

How would the below favour against the i9 instead, only reason as its 4.2 stock speed, and the MB has 4x GPU which I think could be helpful as its, 2 @ 16x mode and 2 @ 8x, meaning I'll get the full 16x speed on both cards, although my 2nd GPU is only for undocked panel windows, so not high performance required, but if I use the i9, will the 8x mode make me lose frames?

Processor (CPU)
Intel® Core™ i7 Quad Core Processor i7-7740X (4.3GHz) 8MB Cache
Motherboard
Gigabyte X299 UD4 PRO: ATX, USB 3.1, SATA 6 GB/s - RGB Ready
Memory (RAM)
16GB Corsair VENGEANCE DDR4 3000MHz (2 x 8GB)
Graphics Card
8GB AMD RADEON™ RX 5700 XT - HDMI, DP - DX® 12
1st Storage Drive
480GB ADATA SU630 2.5" SSD, SATA 6 Gb (520MB/R, 450MB/W)
ryanair007

Post by ryanair007 »

well i am using a reyzen 9 and they are just perfect overclocked at 4.6 with ddr 4 3600 very fast and all cores running between 50 and 65 % . So very happy came from an i9 can see the difference in fps especialy in heavy weather or scenery . I have always been Intel this time i decide to change and must say i am not dissapointed .
JorgenSA

Post by JorgenSA »

If your budget and your motherboard can handle it, then speed the RAM up over 3000 MHz. Also, remember when you get the system (no matter what motherboard you end up with) to look into if there is a BIOS update available.

Jorgen

Ridgeandgable

Post by Ridgeandgable »

Thanks Jorgen

So you would favour the AMD over the I9?

and you confirm that FPS is slightly better
Ridgeandgable

Post by Ridgeandgable »

Case
PCS SR-819 RGB FULL TOWER CASE
Overclocked CPU
Overclocked AMD Threadripper 1900X 8 Core (3.8GHz @ up to 4.0GHz)
Motherboard
ASUS® PRIME X399-A (DDR4, 6Gb/s, CrossFireX/SLI) - RGB Ready!
Memory (RAM)
16GB Corsair VENGEANCE DDR4 3200MHz (2 x 8GB)
Graphics Card
8GB AMD RADEON™ RX 5700 XT - HDMI, DP - DX® 12
1st Storage Drive
480GB ADATA SU630 2.5" SSD, SATA 6 Gb (520MB/R, 450MB/W)
DVD/BLU-RAY Drive
NOT REQUIRED
Power Supply
CORSAIR 1000W RMx SERIES™ MODULAR 80 PLUS® GOLD, ULTRA QUIET
Power Cable
1 x 1 Metre UK Power Cable (Kettle Lead)
Processor Cooling
Noctua NH-U14S TR4-SP3 Ultra Quiet Performance CPU Cooler
Thermal Paste
STANDARD THERMAL PASTE FOR SUFFICIENT COOLING
Sound Card
ONBOARD 6 CHANNEL (5.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)
Wireless/Wired Networking
10/100/1000 GIGABIT LAN PORT (Wi-Fi NOT INCLUDED)
USB/Thunderbolt Options
MIN. 2 x USB 3.0 & 2 x USB 2.0 PORTS @ BACK PANEL + MIN. 2 FRONT PORTS

I'm so torn, I set out with the I9 9900k in mind after most people have said Intel is best, but reading reviews and benchmarks, AMD does seem to be doing better now, obviously, everyone is different and have their own views, and as long as the PC runs p3d well then I'd be happy. So many choices now available
dominikv95

Post by dominikv95 »

Hi, I tried to drop you a private message, but I can't seem to be able to do that.

Here's a link to a question I asked a few days ago about a PC I want to have built for me. While I didn't get a response on this forum, I got a ton of replies and useful info on other forums. I don't want to post them here because that would probably breach the terms and conditions of this forum. Feel free to drop me a private message if you want more information on that. I have since upgraded quite a few things in the initial set-up below thanks to other people's opinions and advice. I haven't placed my order yet for the PC to be built.

https://www.prepar3d.com/forum/viewtopi ... 6&t=134294

Dominik
dominikv95

Post by dominikv95 »

Hi again Ridgeandgable,

I've just read your private message, but again I can't reply. I think it's something to do with me only just setting up this account a couple of days ago and therefore not being allowed to send private messages or even even reply to those who sent messages to me. If you want, drop me an email at dominikv95(at)gmail.com and we can talk there.

Dominik