Stuttery panning when limiting framerate?

Any issues, problems or troubleshooting topics related to computer hardware and the Prepar3D client application
francescodoenz

Stuttery panning when limiting framerate?

Post by francescodoenz »

I appreciate locking the framerate (around 30FPS) to get rid of stutters, but then panning from the cockpit view gets stuttery, is there a logic behind this?
Many thanks for your inputs!!
MSI MEG Z390 Godlike, 9700K, 2xRTX2080TI NVlink, 16GB G.Skill DDR4-4600, 2xAlphacool Eiswand, Coolermaster HAF-X
TomazDrnovsek

Re: Stuttery panning when limiting framerate?

Post by TomazDrnovsek »

francescodoenz wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 11:43 am I appreciate locking the framerate (around 30FPS) to get rid of stutters, but then panning from the cockpit view gets stuttery, is there a logic behind this?
Many thanks for your inputs!!
Do you get something like this: https://imgur.com/dgWZFQO (clip is not mine, other user posted it here on the forums)?
freddy_

Post by freddy_ »

My monitor's refresh rate is 75Hz. If I lock the framerates to, say, 30, I get stuttering ... exactly like that shown in that video. However, if I lock the framerate to a number which divides evenly in to 75, then the stuttering is almost non-existent. For example, if I set it to 25, I don't notice the stuttering. In fact, it works even if I lock the number to 37 or 38 (as close as I can get to half of 75).

In short, try a framerate lock number that will evenly divide in to your monitor's refresh rate and see how you go.
TomazDrnovsek

Post by TomazDrnovsek »

In my case, it doesn't help. My monitor's refresh rate is 60Hz. If I lock FPS at 30 I get the exact same thing.
francescodoenz

Post by francescodoenz »

Sorry for coming back so late, could'nt get close to my computer....yes Tomaz, it's exactly like in your clip, and when the frame rate is unlimited, panning is smooth!
But I admit, I can live with it , but I am curious as why it is this way!!!
MSI MEG Z390 Godlike, 9700K, 2xRTX2080TI NVlink, 16GB G.Skill DDR4-4600, 2xAlphacool Eiswand, Coolermaster HAF-X