No Sound after Windows feature update

Any issues, problems or troubleshooting topics related to the Prepar3D client application.
TheFl4me

No Sound after Windows feature update

Post by TheFl4me »

I have 2 audio devices. 1 Headset and 1 pair of stereo speakers.

Headset (default windows audio device) = ATC comms

Speakers = Sim sounds

This is my current configuration, up until the last windows update last night it worked flawlessly (I was already using it the past days with p3dv4.4), now I no longer get any p3d sound in this configuration:

The only way I can get sounds now is if in the windows 10 volume settings i set p3d output to "Default", it will then play the sounds through the speakers since I still have those selected in the p3d sound settings.

The problem with that though, is that certain addons will ignore the p3d audio settings and play their sounds via the device that is selected in the windows 10 volume settings, which in this case is the default output device (my headset).

The reason I am posting this here and not at microsoft is because the windows 10 "App volume and device preferences" works fine with every other programm, only p3d is causing problems.

Any ideas? (Audio drivers are installed and work fine)

EDIT: I know an obvious work around would be to make the speakers my default audio device but i cannot do this for reasons i cannot disclose.
Tristan Hancock
Rob McCarthy
Lockheed Martin

Re: No Sound after Windows feature update

Post by Rob McCarthy »

Hi Tristan,

Have you contacted the developers of these add-ons?

Regards,
Rob McCarthy
Rob McCarthy
Prepar3D® Core Lead
TheFl4me

Post by TheFl4me »

Rob McCarthy wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 12:59 pm Hi Tristan,

Have you contacted the developers of these add-ons?

Regards,
Rob McCarthy
Yes I have but that is only part of my problem.

As mentioned above, using only default p3d software if i select P3d to use "Speakers" as output instead of "Default" in the windows 10 audio settings, p3d will not play any sound at all (even after restarting the sim/pc etc), irrelevant of any settings i have chosen within p3d istelf.

Only p3d has this problem, all other programms will change audio source with this option.

EDIT: rephrased.
Last edited by TheFl4me on Thu Dec 13, 2018 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tristan Hancock
Rob McCarthy
Lockheed Martin

Post by Rob McCarthy »

What version of Windows 10 is showing this issue?

Regards,
Rob McCarthy
Rob McCarthy
Prepar3D® Core Lead
TheFl4me

Post by TheFl4me »

Rob McCarthy wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 1:20 pm What version of Windows 10 is showing this issue?

Regards,
Rob McCarthy
The latest stable build that was released a few days ago.

Windows 10 1809 version 10.0.17763.194
Tristan Hancock
Kayla Dillon

Post by Kayla Dillon »

Hello,

I am unable to reproduce this issue.

Are you sure you have uninstalled all your addons? Have you gone through the general debugging steps? (Driver updates, etc)

I am testing on 1809 (OS Build 17763.292)

Regards,
Kayla
Prepar3D® Software Engineer
TheFl4me

Post by TheFl4me »

Kayla Kinzel wrote: Hello,

I am unable to reproduce this issue.

Are you sure you have uninstalled all your addons? Have you gone through the general debugging steps? (Driver updates, etc)

I am testing on 1809 (OS Build 17763.292)

Regards,
Kayla
Yes I just tried it again aswell with the newer v17763.292, and also to my knowledge I dont usually have anything installed that remotely messes with the p3d sound system.
I also try to the best of my abilities to keep everything as up to date as possible.

Here are my findings after some testing, keep in mind my goal is to get all p3d sounds to play through my speakers without having to make them the primary playback device for windows.

Default playback device in Windows: Headset aka. "Realtek HD Audio 2nd output".

Here are the results of different configurations i tried with the default p3d F22 Raptor:

===========================================================================

Windows p3d.exe: Default

P3d internal settings: Speakers

Result -> All p3d sounds play through speakers but certain addon sounds "bleed" through the windows primary playback device aka my headset.

That is the config I am currently forced to use, but again some addon sounds ignore the p3d internal settings and therefore play through my headset.

WIndows p3d.exe: Speakers

P3d internal settings: Speakers

Result -> No sound at all from p3d

(This is the config I would like to achieve but it currently doesnt work for me)

Windows p3d.exe: Headset

P3d Internal settings: Speakers

Result -> All p3d sounds play through speakers but certain addon sounds "bleed" through the headset.

Windows p3d.exe: Headset

P3d internal settings: Headset

Result -> Strangely enough in this config all sounds play through the headset. I had expected that it would have the same result as the Speaker&Speakere config and that there would be no sound at all, but for some reason all sound makes it through to the headset (maybe because the headset is assigned as the primary playback device and the speakers arent?)
Tristan Hancock
Kayla Dillon

Post by Kayla Dillon »

Hello,

Using a speaker or headset, I cannot reproduce this issue.

I would recommend uninstalling all addons to see if your sound works, then install addons one by one to test if/when the sound stops working.

Regards,
Kayla
Prepar3D® Software Engineer
TheFl4me

Post by TheFl4me »

Kayla Kinzel wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 1:31 pm Hello,

Using a speaker or headset, I cannot reproduce this issue.

I would recommend uninstalling all addons to see if your sound works, then install addons one by one to test if/when the sound stops working.

Regards,
Kayla
My testing above was done with a brand new fresh vanilla install of p3dv4.4.
Tristan Hancock