Multiple computers

Other problems or issues not covered by other troubleshooting topics.
sebpil

Multiple computers

Post by sebpil »

Am looking for some information about running P3Dv4 on several computers or if that even is necessary?
I have today an Intel i7, 3.1 GHz, 16 GB RAM, a few TB of HDD, 6 GB ASUS video card.

Am running PMDG 737-800 and am building my own flight deck.
So far I have about 12 different interface cards and it works great. But maybe the computer gets loaded with too much information for one computer to handle?

So far I have not seen any problems with one computer. What I am thinking of is that ProSim 737 users always say they use mulitple computers to run their simulator. And I don't understand why.

Also to be said is that I will run the outside display, without any flight deck visible at all during flight with two projectors connected to my ASUS graphics card to get a 180° view. That is not tested so far. Am just running it on two 24" displays meanwhile I am building my panels and controls.

So far everything is done except for the FMC which will occupy another two interface cards since it is 70 keys to control and one display.

Will be running the displays on the MIP with three monitors using a video card connected via USB port. Tested and so far it works fine.

However I would like to know from other users what you think of multiple computer using for P3Dv4 and PMDG when you build your own flight deck. Any experience with that?

Thankful for any answers.
seedosip

Re: Multiple computers

Post by seedosip »

Hi!
I would also like to know the experience of other cockpit builders with one PC running the whole cockpit (in my case PMDG 737 with homebuild Open Cockpits modules).
What I have at the moment is the following:
1 PC (I7 7700) running 7 screens in total. GTX 1080 running 3 55"TV set at 2560x1440 each with view group which works fantastic. I have made a lot of tests and setting the screen on 30Hz with Vsync I get quite smooth performance.

Now other 2 GPUs (GTX710) run instruments on other 4 screens (PFD/ND EICAS, CDU, etc). Now here I can really see a performance drop and looking for solutions.. I know that multiple undocked views do use quite a lot of CPU resources, still I get around 60% CPU use (core 1 at 100%). Tried lasso, HT off and it just does not seem to load all the cores. As far as I read from forums it is normal... Still wondering if a CPU change to f.ex i7 8700K would help the FPS drop when using additional instrument screens? With all the screens with instrumentation and the outside view on TV I get around 20FPS which can drop to 15 in heavy weather. At this stage I have found that the compromise is to keep the co-pilot without the instruments which saves around 7-10FPS..

Another PC to run the instruments could save the day, but with PMDG I cannot run instruments via network, Prosim could be an alternative, but it is so pricey.

Kind regards,
Sergej
sebpil

Post by sebpil »

Hi Seedosip

Well PMDG are about to release a module for us home flight simulator builders so the virtual cockpit does not take much processor power.
We need to wait for that module (software) to be released from PMDG.
However you do not need to have high resolution for ND etc, it is well enough with 1024x768. Have tried that on my external monitors (3 pcs plus the two for external view in HD) and I do not get a performance drop at all when the instrument panel is set to 1024x768 resolution.
Try it and see what happens.
The Prosim is WAY to over priced by the developers and you will miss a lot of features that are in PMDG if you convert to Prosim.
Hang on and wait for PMDG to realse the home cockpit 737.
seedosip

Post by seedosip »

Hi Sebpil,
Well that’s a good news! I am really looking forward for PMDG specific cockpit builders module as I cannot agree more that Prosim is way too expensive. For me PMDG works great with opencockpits through OC4BA software.

I was doing some test flights yesterday at the same airport and same weather conditions. With co-pilot PFD/ND, after airborne I had drops to 17-19FPS which does not happen on the ground and does not happen when co-pilot instruments are off...
Indeed the instrument monitors are all running 1024x768 except one which is running 1440x900 if I remember correctly.
What resolution do you run for your external views?
In my case when testing only outside view, without additional monitors for instruments, through viewgroups (not VC), on 3 55TV i get the following average:
TV set to 2560x1440 @30Hz with vSYNC i get 30fps and smoothness, very nice! As soon as I undock 7 windows (2PFD, 2ND, 2 EICAS, CDU) I have a drop to jumping FPS between 22-25, and smoothness is gone.
Just for the sake of testing I have tried running the external 3 views on 4K, that puts my GTX1080 to its knees and gives around 17-19FPS, but it is gorgeous picture.

Will keep testing :)

Kind regards,
Sergej
sebpil

Post by sebpil »

Hi Sergej

Can let you know my progress. I have a single computer for my B737 NGX (PMDG) and now it has been tested and it works great! More info can be found on my blog about my simulator here, http://boeingflightsim.wordpress.com/

About PMDG the latest news I got is that they soon will release v3 of the 737 product and then there will be a software for us flight deck builders as well.

Hope your project is going well!

Kind regards,
Sebastian