P3Dv4.3 so slow booting up

Other problems or issues not covered by other troubleshooting topics.
DaveB

P3Dv4.3 so slow booting up

Post by DaveB »

P3Dv4.3 is so slow booting up, like more than 10 minutes possibly 15 minutes from booting sim to flying.
I have to wait about two or three minutes till I even see the splash screen :( I've done all the General Debugging Steps so please don't suggest doing that again.

One thing I notice on viewing "Windows Task Manager" and under the Processes Tab I see in the "Memory (Private Working Set) " column P3Dv4, that the memory goes up very slowly while P3Dv4.3 is loading. Is there anything that could be causing it to load this slow. P3Dv4.2 used to load in about three minutes
Brady Butler
Lockheed Martin

Re: P3Dv4.3 so slow booting up

Post by Brady Butler »

Hello,

Have you made any changes to your system between v4.2 and v4.3? More sceneries, changed hardware, new software, etc.

Regards,
Brady
Brady Butler
Prepar3D® Software Engineer
DaveB

Post by DaveB »

No nothing, I did have problems when I changed to P3Dv4.3 with it freezing on the splash screen and then later it would freeze when Generating Scenery files. But since I got it to boot up it has been so slow.
Poppet

Post by Poppet »

Hello DaveB

Do you have any 3rd party Traffic Add On's or large Scenery Add On's that are launched from the Prepar3D v4 add-ons folder in the Documents location ? Do you see any Add On folders here ?
DaveB

Post by DaveB »

Yes I have hundreds in the Prepar3D v4 Add-ons folder as all my scenery is converted to XML files. Also I have a large number of ship files added the P3D\scenery\Global\scenery.
Poppet

Post by Poppet »

Hello DaveB

AI traffic and Scenery Add Ons will certainly Impact launching times

Just to confirm this you could temporarily Click and Drag the Prepar3D v4 add-ons folder out of this location and pop it safely onto your Desktop, this will disconnect these Add Ons from Prepar3D

Then launch Prepar3D and test. When you are finished testing just delete the new generated folder and move back your original Prepar3D v4 add-ons folder

Let us know how you get on
DaveB

Post by DaveB »

That didn't work if anything it has given me a load more work in having to reinstall a backup. I did as you suggested but it would not get past the splash screen, after fifteen minutes I checked to see if it had regenerated the Prepar3Daddon folder it hadn't so I closed it down using the task manager to stop the process because fifteen minutes stuck on the splash screen canT be right, then adding the addons folder back and restarting P3Dv4.3 it started asking me to enable each and every scenery that the addons folder contains, that was one problem too many. So I'm reinstalling a back up at this moment.
Jonathan93102

Post by Jonathan93102 »

Hello,

I seem to be having a similar problem. V4.3 all of a sudden started taking a very long time to load up. Yesterday I timed it at taking 40 minutes from clicking start to getting into the flight deck.

I've tried all the debugging steps on Friday and then did a complete re-install of V4.3 onto a blank SSD and I'm still suffering with ridiculous long loads times even with no add on scenery selected.

I've noticed quite a few similar issues from others over the past couple of days, can anyone confirm this is being looked into?

Many thanks,

Jonathan.
DaveB

Post by DaveB »

Hmmm! It looks if we're stuck with the problem, the only suggestions so far caused me more grief than it was worth. Yesterday I tried re-installing "Ultimate Traffic Live" which was ok in an earlier install (P3Dv4.2) , this time P3dv4.3 wouldn't even boot up after more than an hour so I had to un-install it again. It appears P3Dv4.3 is totally unreliable and Lockheed Martin have no idea as to why I suppose I'm lucky in the fact that it will boot up EVENTUALLY. :(
Brady Butler
Lockheed Martin

Post by Brady Butler »

Hello,

Have you tried going through these steps? viewtopic.php?f=6316&t=130201#p183123

Regards,
Brady
Brady Butler
Jonathan93102

Post by Jonathan93102 »

Brady Butler wrote: Mon Jul 23, 2018 3:41 pm Hello,

Have you tried going through these steps? viewtopic.php?f=6316&t=130201#p183123

Regards,
Brady
Hello Brady,

Many thanks for the response. Yes I have tried all the steps I even did a fresh install to no avail. Ideally I would like to go back to V4.2 but I don’t have it anywhere. Is there a fix being looked into?

Many thanks,

Jonathan
Poppet

Post by Poppet »

Jonathan93102 wrote: Mon Jul 23, 2018 4:23 pm Ideally I would like to go back to V4.2 but I don’t have it anywhere.

Hello Jonathan

Please see the Topic below from another user with a similar question

Let us know how you get on

https://www.prepar3d.com/forum/viewtopi ... 84#p183257
DaveB

Post by DaveB »

So no one has come up with an answer to this problem, not happy or impressed with Lockheed Martin at all, they published the update, everything worked fine in version P3Dv4.2. With every problem I get asked if I have done the General Debugging Steps and if I see another problem post with references to read these posts for a fix I will screammmmmm viewtopic.php?f=6316&t=130201#p183123 and https://www.prepar3d.com/forum/viewtopi ... 84#p183257 I would just like to say referring people every time to the above mentioned posts is not a fix it called passing the buck :( Rant over have a nice day :(
Brady Butler
Lockheed Martin

Post by Brady Butler »

Hello,

When you removed all of your add-ons did you add them back in one by one to discover which one was causing the problem? Did you contact the add-on developer with the issue?

Regards,
Brady
Brady Butler
DaveB

Post by DaveB »

I'm assuming by addons you mean sceneries. I didn't need to add them back one by one It was still slow with no sceneries added at all. as I've said from day one ,in my case it is the upgrade from P3Dv4.2 to P3Dv4.3 that I have had the problems. even with all the sceneries added I never had this problem with with P3Dv4.2 it used to load in seconds. I even tried a reinstall using the Legacy download of P3Dv4.2 client but whatever P3Dv4.3 has hidden away in other folders the reinstall failed to cure the problem. Anyways don't lose any sleep over it I am quite happy in the fact that it still does boot up eventually, for that fact I am quite happy to wait and see what the next update might bring. Many thanks for trying.