Runway light manual control

Post your feature requests here. Note that we cannot promise that any of these posts will be commented on or that requested features will be implemented.
Eloge2lafuite

Runway light manual control

Post by Eloge2lafuite »

There is a missing function that would be really nice:

The ability to manually control the activation of runway / approach lights regardless of time or weather!

I've never seen anything like this (either FS or P3D) and it's still problematic to have the necessary lighting especially in scenarios involving average weather or to simulate failures of HI approach light system.

Is it possible to develop a function that allows to force the lighting on or off ?
Pease_W

Re: Runway light manual control

Post by Pease_W »

Eloge2lafuite wrote: Sat May 19, 2018 12:07 pm Is it possible to develop a function that allows to force the lighting on or off ?
Yes, it's called SODE and has been available for quite some time. Many releases use it's functions and it's freely available for anyone to implement. A Google search will turn up more information.
Eloge2lafuite

Post by Eloge2lafuite »

Many thanks for that !
Eloge2lafuite

Post by Eloge2lafuite »

I've checked SODE and another one (Airfields lights toolbox),

It's a solution, but not an easy one... We need to edit manually all airports ! Really time consuming !

Such an option should be implemented in the standard P3D release. Regarding flight simulation training in flight school, we really need to simulate partial or total failures of HI approach light system ! (daytime, night time, reagardless of time or weather)
peterk41

Post by peterk41 »

We requested yet several versions with P3D to change this. It was unfortunatelly not done at the time by MS.
Somewhere in the code is a hardcode switch which set approach lighting ON or OFF. It depends on day-time and weather/sight. Implementing a 3 state switch ON - AUTO - OFF would allow to overrun the algorithm and put or remove lights as per users wish. If it could be controlled by a KEX_COMMAND / FSUIPC even more the hit.

Attached picture from LSZH during day. Obviously lights are ON. Image

The solution with SODE needs to manipulate each airport we land on, maybe 30 we use ? But still a lot of work.
Eloge2lafuite

Post by Eloge2lafuite »

+1

I hope that LM will hear us on this point !
Sky_King

Post by Sky_King »

I agree! Me too.....
Gigabyte x670 Aorus Elite AX MB; 7800X3D CPU; Deepcool LT520 Cooler; 64 Gb G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO DDR5; Win11 Pro; 1 Samsung 990 2Tb NVMe SSD: 1 Crucial 4Tb MX500 SSD; 1 Samsung 860 1Tb SSD; Gigabyte 1080ti 11Gb VRAM; Toshiba 43" LED TV @ 4k..