MULTI CHANNEL v VIEW GROUPS (What's the Difference)?

Any issues, problems or troubleshooting topics related to the additional features present in the Prepar3D Professional Plus client application.
HowardChristian

MULTI CHANNEL v VIEW GROUPS (What's the Difference)?

Post by HowardChristian »

Hi, I have a 238 deg Curved Screen with 3 x 1920x1080 Projectors.
I don't know what's the difference between MULTI CHANNEL or VIEW GROUPS.

As I understand it there are Two Options. MULTI Channel that allows you to utilise Network Computers to spread the load.
or View Groups that allow you to use different GPUs to do much the same thing. But from what I can see View Groups also allows you to use multiple computers that also allows you to spread the load.

I also presume that the correct FOV can be setup using either method.
BUT, I'm clearly very confused.

So, my question, What's the difference, (Except for the hefty Price Tag of Professional Plus for Multi Channel).
Can someone please explain in "Detail" the options.
Howard.
VoodooRocket

Re: MULTI CHANNEL v VIEW GROUPS (What's the Difference)?

Post by VoodooRocket »

I too am new to P3D and have been attempting to comb through these forums (along with many other forums and Youtube videos) to find answers. Most of the ones that I have come across are old and don't really work for the newer software, say they are fixed without explaining how they were fixed, topics are not really answered and just locked, or just overly complicated which confuse the reader even more. For instance the "sticky" in these forums for the View Groups. It goes into so much detail that it is quite confusing and it was locked a few months ago. I haven't seen anything updated since...

viewtopic.php?f=6306&t=119668

I attempted to use these instructions, but couldn't get these instructions to work on my system.
VoodooRocket

Post by VoodooRocket »

Okay, I have been able to get the View Groups working following those directions above. The issue I was having is I had Surround Display on and the "one monitor" was goofing up my P3D attempt. Here are the settings I have for my "VG1" (according to the instructions) for my 5760x1080 setup on a single GTX 970 video card. These settings will get you started so you can tweak them after.

Left45 is DisplayID = 1
-OffsetPBH is Heading: -45.000
-SideAngles are Left: -22.500, Right: 22.500, Top: 12.640, Bottom: -12.640
Center is DisplayID = 2
-OffsetPBH is Heading: 0.000
Right45 is DisplayID = 3
-OffsetPBH is Heading: 45.000
HowardChristian

Thanks, I'll give it a try tonight.
I am using Two Gtx580s, so I guess I can select the second card for one of the views.
Just a matter of trying to decipher how to do it.

But,I still thought it was possible to to select GPUs from different Networked computers, using View Groups but maybe I'm wrong? I wish someone could answer my question in my post above.

I'm really confused what's the best way to go about this.
If using a Single PC Only, Which is the best way; TH2GO, VIEW GROUPS, NVIDIA SURROUND or other.

Btw, which warping software are you using?
I already have Warpalizer for Networked PCs but if using 1 PC I'd need to change to a single pc version.
Kayla Dillon

Post by Kayla Dillon »

Hello,

You are correct in that it's technically possible to customize a view group to work across multiple computers.

The main differences between multichannel and view groups is the synchronization, licensing, and configuration.

In Multichannel, the simulation is synchronized on a frame to frame basis. If you use Multiplayer and View groups instead, this is not guaranteed. Other aspects of the simulation will not be synchronized as well, such as clouds, visual fx, and animations.

If you chose to use View groups across multiple computers, you will need a license per computer. Multichannel does not have this requirement.

When setting up a Multichannel configuration, the server will push the config settings to the clients. Therefore, they can be easily modified at runtime. This is not the case with View groups- you would need to individually modify each computer's configuration. Also, you will not see the GPUs from other computers listed when configuring the View group.

Regards,
Kayla
Prepar3D® Software Engineer
HowardChristian

Thanks Kayla for your reply.
Could you please give me some advice on the following?

Currently my PREPAR3D & MULTI SCREEN is not yet configured I just own 3 Copies of Academic License.
I have a 220 degree curved screen with 3 x BenQ W1080ST Projectors.

I want a high quality visual system.
I have 3 x Identical PCs that were intended for the views. They are quite old now but are:
i7 960 3.2Ghz, 6Gb RAM & GTX580 GPU.

I had intended to use OPUS Live View for the Synchronisation & Warpalizer to Warp/Blend. (I do already have Warpalizer).
But I'd like a simpler method if possible.

Am I correct in saying that using P3D VIEW GROUPS OR P3D MULTI VIEW does BOTH things; ?
Create the 3 Views & Synchronise the Views.

If I go with VIEW GROUPS I must use just one PC?
If I go wih MULTI VIEW I have to run P3D PRO PLUS @ $2,300 ? & this will synchronise utilising 3 PCs.?
and also If I go with the Pro Plus, do I have to buy 3 copies Ie $6,900 ?

Also, the specs for Pro Plus is considerably higher than the v3.49 I have now.
So I assume that I'd need to buy THREE, VERY POWERFUL COMPUTERS. Or do I only need one Powerful computer?

Please would you or someone give me your opinions on this.
Thank you.