Addon gauges not loading in V4

SDK supports Prepar3D’s philosophy of an open development architecture and encourages third parties to bring new innovations with improved add-ons and training content.
TheIronDuke

Addon gauges not loading in V4

Post by TheIronDuke »

I am trying to update some of my gauges for P3D v4. I compiled one into 64 bit using Visual Studio 2008, added the gauge to the dll.xml file in
C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Roaming\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4\dll.xml .

The gauge does not show up.

So I compiled the cabin comfort sample in the SDK, followed all of the instructions to the letter, including adding the gauge to dll.xml, and only zero (null) values show up on the xml gauge.

What can I be doing wrong?

I also note that now all of the default gauges in the Beech Baron, which I had been used for testing, have disappeared. Even removing all the panel entries and dll.xml entries does not restore them. The gauges are simply gone!

This simulator is giving me fits. Help!
TheIronDuke

Re: Addon gauges not loading in V4

Post by TheIronDuke »

Could really use some help here.
WarpD

Post by WarpD »

Aren't you also posting this at FSDeveloper?
Ed Wilson
Senior Developer
Mindstar Aviation
TheIronDuke

Post by TheIronDuke »

Yes, that's me.
WarpD

Post by WarpD »

Thought so... I'm trying to help over there... so, won't duplicate my efforts here.
Ed Wilson
Senior Developer
Mindstar Aviation
Rob McCarthy
Lockheed Martin

Post by Rob McCarthy »

You mentioned using VS2008 to compile your gauge. VS2015 is required to compile code compatible with v4. Also ensure content error reporting is enabled. Errors encountered when loading your gauge will be logged in the ContentErrors.txt file in your Prepar3D v4 Files directory.

Regards,
Rob McCarthy
Rob McCarthy
Prepar3D® Core Lead
TheIronDuke

Post by TheIronDuke »

My understanding is that VS 2015 is required to compile gauges that use Simconnect. This gauge does not.

I cannot think of any ethical reason why a company like Lockheed Martin would require one certain C++ compiler to work in the simulator. What about people who don't even use MS Visual Studio?

If that is the case I will not waste my time trying to supply content for P3D v4. It is not worth the time and expense for the limited return that the flight simulation market has today.
N4GIX

Post by N4GIX »

TheIronDuke wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2017 8:51 pm If that is the case I will not waste my time trying to supply content for P3D v4. It is not worth the time and expense for the limited return that the flight simulation market has today.
What expense? VS2015 Express may be had for "free"...

The SDK states that the VS2010 may be used, as well as VS2005.
Development Software

Visual Studio 2010 or Visual Studio 2010 Express Edition can be used to develop SimConnect client applications. For more information on the Express Edition, check out the following websites:

www.microsoft.com/vstudio/express

blogs.msdn.com/b/coding4fun/

Caution: If an add-on is developed using Visual Studio 2005 SP1, it will run on the development computer, but it will only run on other computers if either one of the following redist packages is installed, or the project is compiled with the _USE_RTM_VERSION compiler switch.

For 32-bit operating systems:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/d ... laylang=en
For 64-bit operating systems:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/d ... laylang=en
Bill Leaming
Modeler and Programmer
Military Visualizations
TheIronDuke

Post by TheIronDuke »

Had a long delay in addressing this due to a death in the family.

I have tried everything. I compiled the Cabin Comfort sample in 64 bit using Visual Studio 2017. I entered it into the dll.xml file using the configuration command line, as outlined in the Lockheed Martin website:

Code: Select all

"C:\FS\Prepar3D v4\Prepar3D.exe" "-Configure: Category=DLL, Operation=Add, FileLocation=Roaming, Title=Cabin Comfort, Path=C:\FS\Prepar3D v4\Velox\Drivers\Cabin_Comfort.dll, Active=True"
It shows up in the dll.xml file like so:

Code: Select all

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<SimBase.Document Type="AceXML" version="4,1">
<Descr>AceXML Document</Descr>
    <Launch.Addon>
        <Name>Cabin Comfort</Name>
        <Path>C:\FS\Prepar3D v4\Velox\Drivers\Cabin_Comfort.dll</Path>
    </Launch.Addon>
</SimBase.Document>
All I get are zeros in the Cabin Comfort xml gauge. I have even tried putting fixed numerical values in the dll for bank angle, etc., like '21', for example. All I get are zeros. Is it possible that the cabin comfort sample is just plain wrong and will not work in P3d V4 like it did in previous versions.

I actually do not think the Cabin_Comfort.dll is even loading in the sim. I put a MessageBeep(ICON_EXCLAMATION) command in the dll's module_init function, and it does not chime like you would expect when the simulator loads.

This is driving me nuts. I need a dll file that can send string values to an XML gauge. But this does not seem to be able to communicate with the simulator at all.

!??!