Carrier landing scenario

Discussion related to Mission design and creation.
skelley

Carrier landing scenario

Post by skelley »

Hello all,

I am trying to create a scenario where an F-35 lands on a carrier. I have that working just fine but the problem I'm running into is that once the plane comes to a stop its world position apparently becomes fixed and the carrier runs out from under the plane and it falls into the sea. The effect is as iff the cable is a big bungee cord and slings the plane off the stern. I don't see any trigger options to set on landing on the carrier and I don't know what I would set even if I had a trigger. Obviously what I need is for the plane's position to remain fixed relative to the carrier once the plane has stopped. I have not used Simdirector very much so there is probably something simple I'm over looking. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Clifton Crane
Lockheed Martin

Re: Carrier landing scenario

Post by Clifton Crane »

Hello skelley,

Are you using waypoints to guide or aircraft onto the carrier deck? Which aircraft carrier and F-35 are you using? Does your scenario start with the aircraft on the carrier or is the aircraft in the air?

Thanks.
Clifton Crane
Prepar3D® Software Engineer Sr.
skelley

Post by skelley »

I have a simple scenario with an AI carrier moving at 40 knots using Cattaneo's F-35C as my UserOwnship. The plane lands on the carrier and the hook grabs the cables and the plane comes to a stop. The sim obviously knows the plane has landed and is on a platform but the planes world position does not become tied to the platform's (carrier's) position. If the plane is given enough throttle to maintain 40 knots it stays on the carrier as long as the planes heading and the carriers heading are the same. If the plane is stopped the carrier continues to move and the plane falls into the sea (an undesirable state of affairs). The only waypoint in the scenario is for the carrier to head toward. The carrier is VEH_carrier01_high_detail. Any insight as to how to accomplish a proper carrier landing will be greatly appreciated.
Clifton Crane
Lockheed Martin

Post by Clifton Crane »

Hello,

Does this happen even with the brakes or parking brakes applied? Does slowing the carrier speed down have an effect on the issue?

Thanks.
Clifton Crane
Prepar3D® Software Engineer Sr.
skelley

Post by skelley »

Applying the brakes does not hold the plane on the deck. If the plane is turned perpendicular to the carrier and stopped the carrier continues to move and the plane falls off the aft so it is 'sliding' sideways along the flight deck. BTW, I don't think I mentioned that the plane starts in the air a couple of thousand meters aft and a little to the right of the carrier at about 800 ft.
aeronauta

Post by aeronauta »

In the Waypoint Object have you set the CarrierMode to True?
Jorge
Jorge Roldan
OZx Developer (aero) - Hovercontrol Helicopter Certified Pilot - Spad.Next Beta Tester - VATPAC Pilot PR
System i9-9990 4.7Ghz 32GB W11 Nvidia GeForce RTX 2080 8GB
Mike Schroeter
Lockheed Martin

Post by Mike Schroeter »

This is actually a problem with the carrier accelerating and turning to aggressively. It will be fixed in the next update.

Mike