Issue with shadows since P3D v2 to P3D v4 (Due To Cloud Shadows)

Other problems or issues not covered by other troubleshooting topics.
Endyamon

Issue with shadows since P3D v2 to P3D v4 (Due To Cloud Shadows)

Post by Endyamon »

Hi....

I will try it one more time.

I have pointed out this issue from the version V2 - without result

last try.

Could it be fixed?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W4J6CpxQjlw

Thanks

J.Compel
Brady Butler
Lockheed Martin

Re: Issue with shadows since P3D v2 to P3D v4

Post by Brady Butler »

Hello J.Compel,

To help us track down this issue, do you still see this behavior if you turn cloud shadows off?

Regards,
Brady
Brady Butler
Prepar3D® Software Engineer
Endyamon

Post by Endyamon »

I will try it
Brady Butler
Lockheed Martin

Post by Brady Butler »

Thanks for the response Endyamon, we'll open a ticket and see what can be done about it.

Regards,
Brady
Brady Butler
Brady Butler
Lockheed Martin

Post by Brady Butler »

So it appears to already be a known issue. We have an open ticket regarding cloud shadows, currently it seems we made a trade off due to performance limitations with large numbers of clouds.

Regards,
Brady
Brady Butler
Rhett

Re: Issue with shadows since P3D v2 to P3D v4 (Due To Cloud Shadows)

Post by Rhett »

Hi all,

This behaviour does indeed go away when "cloud casting" shadows is turned off. Thus I can confirm that the problem exists when clouds are set to cast their shadows AND when objects (& the terrain) are set to receive shadows.

It is not related to changing weather / cloud position. It is directly related to the viewing angle - as one can effectively switch shadows on and off by moving the viewing angle back and forth a fraction - at any frequency and the results are the same.

It is also quite easy to replicate this problem - I really have no problem generating this behaviour every day when I fly. Its not a rare or infrequent event - it happens all the time (provided there are clouds). No clouds, no problem.

Really hoping that a solution can be found as the shadow features of P3Dv4 are (otherwise) awesome and I tend to fly in the early morning or evening - when the behaviour is apparent.

Otherwise, I must say that P3Dv4 is simply awesome.

Thanks and kind regards,
Rhett Kelly
P3Dv4 & P3Dv5
i7 7700K, MSI GeForce GTX 1080 GX+, 16GB RAM, Windows 10
Endyamon

Post by Endyamon »

http://www.prepar3d.com/forum/viewtopic ... 42#p147542

it would be nice finally resolve this issue..

Best regards J.Compel
stripealipe

Post by stripealipe »

Thanks Brady, look forward to seeing what you can do... even some kind of performance slider for those with the machines to handle larger shadow loads would be amazing. Cheers!
Endyamon

Post by Endyamon »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6B2AVyk ... e=youtu.be

Is really interesting how clods shadows affect this (Without barriers - no clouds above plane)

rly annoying..

J.C
sidfadc

Post by sidfadc »

Hi,

Brady asked me to post my video here and confirm that unticking cloud casting in the lighting options resolves the issue. I say resolves...I mean the light source doesn't change from dark to light, shadows on and off. I would much prefer to fly with cloud casting on because it looks a lot more realistic. The way the shadows behave though with this option on is quite irritating. Here's hoping for a fix soon.

https://youtu.be/4uCh2iJJdno

Thanks
Sid
AnkH

Post by AnkH »

I really wonder if this is a new phenomenon to v4. I think I remember that this was better in v3, but this might be simply wrong. Anyway: it is really interesting how little feedback this issue generates. Do most people fly with cloud shadows off? It is a major gamebreaker for me, still you read little about this in the forums around the world. Strange. I really hope this can be fixed already in v4.1...
------------------
Chris

Hardware: i7 8700K@5.0GHz, 2x16GB DDR4 3200MHz CL14 RAM, Gigabyte Aorus GTX-1080Ti OC, Samsung SSDs (250GB for OS, 2TB for P3D), Windows 10 Home
sidfadc

Post by sidfadc »

Yea amen to that. I've come from FSX SE with DX10 fixer where the shadows around the VC where a LOT better, never saw this behaviour. Granted you could generate cloud shadows in through a DX10 add on but never tried that myself. But I know one thing with the light source changing and shadows appearing/disappearing when you pan the view its really irritating!
sunjunkiesi

Post by sunjunkiesi »

So its been a while since this thread was raised, this issue has been here for me since day 1 with p3dv4 and it's not getting any less annoying. Has anyone come up with a fix for this yet?
sunjunkiesi

Post by sunjunkiesi »

Nothing?