APX files and fsaerodata incompatibility

Any issues, problems or troubleshooting topics related to the additional features present in the Prepar3D Professional Plus client application.
enrico68

APX files and fsaerodata incompatibility

Post by enrico68 »

Hello,

I am having issues with the fsaerodata software; when i install the fsaerodata FSAD files and start Prepar3d, the sim freezes at the splash screen. The developer said the problem is likely due to the APX.bgl files within my installation, which, according to him, should not be there. As a matter of fact, when I look into the Prepar3d scenery files, there are, among others, many APX.bgl files, but my Prepar3d was installed clean, and I do no t have nay scenery addons. So, are those APX files supposed to be there? I am running Prepar3d v4.4, Academic licence, in Windows 10. As a possible solution, I deleted all my generated files that were in:

%PROGRAMDATA%\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4
%LOCALAPPDATA%\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4
%APPDATA%\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4

and started the sim again. It did rebuild the scenery files, but it did not provide any solution, as the sim still freezes.

After many emails between me and the fsaerodata developer, I have come here hoping someone can tell me what the issue is. As a side not, a few months back I already had a subscription with fsaerodata, and back then it worked.
Thank you for any input, and let me know if there is more information regarding my setup that you need.

Enrico

edit: I just realized I have posted my query under the "Professional Plus Client Application" sub-forum, whereas I have the Academic license. Pardon me, and please move my post under the correct sub-forum.
jabloomf1230

Re: APX files and fsaerodata incompatibility

Post by jabloomf1230 »

Enrico,

I don't think that LM staff will suggest anything that would solve your problem for the following reasons. The stock airports are found in the subfolders off of the folder:

G:\Program Files\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4\Scenery

The subfolders are numbered from 000 to 1107 and each numbered subfolder covers one geographic region. Within each numbered folders is a scenery subfolder. In this subfolder are various types of file. For example, the files that begin with APX contain the default P3d data for multiple airports. There are other files that begin with CVX, OBX and BRX that contain other types of geographic data.

The APX file data corresponds to AIRAC 0612 (2006) and are identical for the most part to the airport data in FSX. All fsaerodata does is replace each APX file with a new version version based on Navigraph's most recent AIRAC (presently 1902). In order to allow uninstalling of the fsaerodata files, the original P3d4 files are saved as (for example):

new fsaerodata file - APX25280.bgl
backup of P3d stock file - APX25280.bgl.FSAD

It sounds like you have a corrupt scenery library. You should first try to uninstall fsaerodata and the see if P3d will start normally. If it does, then reinstall fsaerodata and see if that fixes your problem. If that doesn't work, you may have to uninstall P3d and reinstall it.

If I were to take a guess as to what may have happened... did you install the P3d4.4 scenery update? This would overwrite the fsaerodata APX files and probably created some type of conflict among the stock P3d APX files and the remaining fsaerodata files that have information regarding comm frequencies, navaids, SIDs and STARs. If this is what you did, just reinstall fsaerodata and see if that fixes the problem. In any case, you should be able to fix this without too much trouble.
enrico68

Post by enrico68 »

Hi jabloomf1230,

and thank you for your reply. Just to avoid any further issues, I decided to uninstall and reinstall P3d from scratch, off the website, where I see version v. 4.4.16.27077.zip is available. If my scenery library is still corrupt after a fresh install, I really do not understand how that could happen. I will give fsaero one more try and report back, hopefully with good news.

Enrico
enrico68

Post by enrico68 »

Hello jabloomf1230,

I finally resolved; I uninstalled both Prepar3d and fsaerodata and decided to get into the Windows Registry and get rid of all the keys related to the old installations. It took me quite a few hours, but at the end I was able update my NAV data. It worked, and it is a solution that it solved the issue at the root of the problem. For those with update issues with fsaerodata, be careful what you delete from the Registry, as the wrong operation might mess with you Operating System besides Prepare3d and fsaerodata.

Enrico