[Bug 2.2 + Video] View distance does not take camera zoom into consideration

Any issues, problems or troubleshooting topics related to the additional features present in the Prepar3D Professional Plus client application.
minime

Post by minime »

Nice job on the stability so far, but a few bugs remain. Here one:

- If you have a camera zoomed up and targeted at a SimObject, lets say 24x zoom, you should be able to see it from further away than if you are looking at it with 1x zoom. But you are not, the SimObject is invisible, although you are zoomed in so far that it should fill a big part of your view.

- While the SimObject itself it invisible, the SHADOW of that SimObject is not.

That makes my targeting pod look a little bit weird.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-EjuLM8SnJw

You can see the object shadow in the lower left.

Have fun!

Minime

P.S: Is there a way to turn off the camera info in the view (i.e. "Cockpit" "TgtPod" "Zoom 24x")?
Kevin Cartrette
Lockheed Martin

Post by Kevin Cartrette »

Hey Minime,

Using the Attachments.xml Station AttachmentVisible="FALSE" method for setting the objects invisible does not appear to have the issue you are describing.

What method are you using for setting the object invisible?

Prepar3D Graphics Software Engineer
minime

Post by minime »

Uh.. you got that wrong. I don't want it invisible. It IS invisible because it is far away and thus not shown by Prepar3d.

Lets say you stop displaying SimObjects that are 10nm from the player. (As in: they are not being drawn by the 3d rendering because they would be too small)

That works fine if the zoom is 1x, because 10nm is a lot of distance in a 1x zoomed camera.

If I zoom in with the camera, for example to 24x, I should be able to see 24x 10nm = 240nm far. But I cannot... because the SimObject is still invisible if its 11nm away. The SHADOW of the SimObject however will show. The shadows are obviously on a different range than the display of the SimObject, which should not be the case I believe.

What does this mean?

Zooming of cameras is broken. Although the camera zooms, the SimObjects do not properly show at ranges further out (with Binoculars you should be able to see further away objects).

This also means something like a zooming Targeting Pod cannot be properly implemented, as I have no control over what gets drawn. If there are 5 T-72 tanks at 11nm distance and my TargetingPod is fully zoomed in so that I normally would be able to read the license plates of the tanks, I will instead not see the tanks, just the shadows of the tanks moving on the terrain.

Its kind of hard to drop bombs on something that can not be seen because Prepar3d hides it.
WarpD

Post by WarpD »

I don't know where you get the formula of 24x10nm = 240nm... line of sight would only allow such viewing distances at altitudes in excess of 38,000ft.

While I agree you have a problem with not seeing things that perhaps a zoomed view should show... the rest of your discussion isn't very accurate.
Ed Wilson
Senior Developer
Mindstar Aviation
minime

Post by minime »

Quote:
Quote from WarpD on June 4, 2014, 11:58

I don't know where you get the formula of 24x10nm = 240nm... line of sight would only allow such viewing distances at altitudes in excess of 38,000ft.

While I agree you have a problem with not seeing things that perhaps a zoomed view should show... the rest of your discussion isn't very accurate.

Yes, it was not supposed to be accurate..... as long as they understand that I should see things further away if I zoom in. :)

I realize the earth is not flat and there are clouds, haze and stuff. :P