[FEATURE REQUEST] Effects not timing out soon enough, leading first to low FPS, OOM and then crash.

Any issues, problems or troubleshooting topics related to the additional features present in the Prepar3D Professional Plus client application.
minime

Post by minime »

I was running a burn-in of my SAM simulation, which is basicly a loop where a few aircraft fly through multiple SAM rings and get shot by that SAM repeatedly (to test the Pk of the missiles).

Everything was fine the first hour, but every SAM missile that is being shot and impacts the ground will leave a burning effect with smoke. After a few hours I could see a few hundred burning effects with smoke littering the whole world and the FPS went down to about 1 FPS. Shortly thereafter I had an OOM followed by a crash.

Now, either there is no timeout of effects and they stay in the world forever, or the timeout is too long.

If possible please add an option to set a timeout for effects or if it exists, please tell me how to do it. I need to get rid of the crash somehow.

Thx!

Minime
Adam Breed
Lockheed Martin

Post by Adam Breed »

Hi minime,

You can change the effect to whatever you like by modifying the weapon's sim.cfg. Check out the Weapon Visual Effects page of the SDK Learning Center for detailed information.

You can also modify the .fx file of the specified effect. It is simply a text file. See the Creating Special Effects page of the SDK Learning Center for detailed information. You probably want to adjust the Lifetime item.
Prepar3D® Engineering Project Manager
minime

Post by minime »

Quote:
Quote from Adam Breed on January 15, 2014, 08:11

Hi minime,

You can change the effect to whatever you like by modifying the weapon's sim.cfg. Check out the Weapon Visual Effects page of the SDK Learning Center for detailed information.

You can also modify the .fx file of the specified effect. It is simply a text file. See the Creating Special Effects page of the SDK Learning Center for detailed information. You probably want to adjust the Lifetime item.

Thx, I will try that. That should work for now.

However, I was thinking more about the lines of a general setting for the whole simulation, so I dont have to edit every .fx file. Especially because some end-user may swap out the .fx files or install some other addon that may use other .fx files I have no control over.

I am looking for a setting that I can enforce on the simulator that will make sure ALL effects will time out before they crash it, no matter which effects and where they are.

Or maybe I can enforce a general limit on effects present in the world? Something like... no more than 100 effects can be present at any time, and then the oldest ones get deleted?

I should put that in the feature request section I guess. :P

Edit:

I have been playing with it and I can set some Lifetimes for particle emitters. But the documentation says this for the overall effect:

Lifetime=5 A value that is part of an internal (reserved) process. Do not edit this parameter. Lifetime=5 is the only value recognized. Cntrl_Barn.fx( Lifetime=5 )

Is it maybe possible to make that option work in the future?