Upgrade v2.2 to v2.4 Advice Please

Any issues, problems or troubleshooting topics related to installing the Prepar3D client application or it's installer.
Holclo

Post by Holclo »

I have just downloaded P3Dv2.4 and am soon going to upgrade from my P3Dv2.2 version. Since the interim patch from 2.2 to 2.3 has been removed, it has of course to be a full uninstall/reinstall. After reading the many problems people are posting here, could someone please give a step by step guide to this, to avoid all the reported problems. Apologies if this has been dealt with before.
Bill
Cruachan

Post by Cruachan »

Hi William,

Yes, I think it's wise this time around to go for the full install, annoying though it may be if you have a bunch of Addons which will need to be reinstalled. Hopefully you will be able to take the Patch Updater route next time to v2.5 which should preserve your Addons. There is already copious info on the forums regarding Patching procedures. For most this should not be an issue.

1. Uninstall v2.2 to release your license (run 'setup.exe' as Administrator and select 'Uninstall' or 'Remove', I forget which. If problems encountered try the 'Repair' option and then try again to uninstall).
2. Delete the Prepar3D v2 folder.
3. Reboot and then perform a defrag of your HD (unless you are using an SSD drive in which case don't defrag as it is unnecessary and can be detrimental).
4. Install v2.4 by running the v2.4 'setup.exe' as Administrator. This will ensure that all the prerequisites required by Prepar3D are installed.
5. If you are unlucky enough to encounter the "Could not write value Complete to key..." towards the end of the installation just select 'Ignore' and the installer will finish successfully.
6. Reboot again and let Windows settle down before before running Prepar3D and reactivating your license.

Chances are you won't have any problems. Just take your time and resist the temptation to abort if the installer appears to hang at any point. Some have experienced prolonged delays during 'Computing Space Requirements'. This wasn't an issue for me whereas, for some unknown reason, I always see the "Complete to key..." message.

Good luck!
Mike
Holclo

Post by Holclo »

Mike
Thank you very much for your guidance. It seems to be straightforward except I am not sure what is happening on my set up. I have 2 Hard Drives -(1) Local Disk (C:) is an SSD where my OS and other stuff is to be found including ,in Program Files(x86), a folder called Lockheed Martin which contains folders for Aivlasoft, Prepar3Dv2 (which when opened contains two other folders-- effects and modules) , UK2000 Scenery and also a file for effects.
I also then have Storage (E:) drive where I see lots and lots of files and folders including P3D.exe
This of course has me totally baffled. When I execute "uninstall" will the routine just find everything it needs to remove?
Should I also ignore Programs and Features --Uninstall?
William
Cruachan

Post by Cruachan »

Hi William,

Looks to me that Prepar3D v2.2 is installed on your E: drive and some Addons have defaulted via their installers to C:

I would suggest you first uninstall the Addons via 'Programs and Features', Reboot and then Uninstall Prepar3D using the option when you run the v2.2 Setup.exe. The latter should give you a clean fresh start.

If your C: SSD is of a decent capacity I would install Prepar3D v2.4 to C:\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v2 (change the path from the offered default during the installation). This will give you a nice increase in the speed of loading times and help to circumvent possible Windows security problems which can be an issue for some 3rd Party Products.

However, if your E: drive is also an SSD then there is no reason not to install there if you wish.

Good idea to disable UAC (User Account Control) in Windows. Make sure you have an Administrator Account and do as I do and run everything as Administrator.

Regards,
Mike
Holclo

Post by Holclo »

Mike
Once again thank you very much. If I proceed it will be with great caution. With so many add ons (I am running a Home Cockpit with lots of Hardware etc) at my advanced years and lack of computer knowledge it might be best to leave it at 2.2. Wish now i had downloaded the 2.2 to 2.3 patch when it was available.
Bill
Cruachan

Post by Cruachan »

Hi Bill,

One other thing I forgot to mention: Temporarily disable your antivirus/antimalware product prior to performing an install. Rules out the possible detection of false positives.

Regards,
Mike