Can I install the latest version over an earlier one?

Any issues, problems or troubleshooting topics related to installing the Prepar3D client application or it's installer.
davidcox257

Can I install the latest version over an earlier one?

Post by davidcox257 »

Hi there,

Probably a very basic question (sorry!). I am currently running Prepar3D version 5.1 and have just downloaded version 5.3.17.28160 (Full Download) from the Prepar3D web-site.

Am I right in assuming I can install this latest version into the same directory as my existing installation?

I have add-ons like FSUIPC and some Orbyx scenery as well as some additional planes and various config changes and I don't want to have to re-install all this stuff after upgrading so I am hoping everything will work as before when I fire up version 5.3.

I have had a look at the Download and Installation Directions but I'm finding them a bit confusing....
- Do I need to use the individual files (Client.msi etc.) or can I use the full download?
- Do I need to uninstall the old version first?

Your advice is much appreciated

Thanks
JorgenSA

Re: Can I install the latest version over an earlier one?

Post by JorgenSA »

What you do is go to the Windows Control Panel, and uninstall Scenery, Content and Client, in that order.

Reboot.

Now go to your download and install only Client, Content and Scenery, in that order.

Reboot again.

Now everything should be ready to go!

Happy flying -

Jorgen
System: i5-12600K@4.9 GHz, ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-I motherboard, 32 GB 4800 MHz DDR5 RAM, Gainward RTX 3060 w/ 12 GB DDR6 VRAM, Windows 10 Pro.

All views and opinions expressed here are entirely my own. I am not a Lockheed-Martin employee.
davidcox257

Re: Can I install the latest version over an earlier one?

Post by davidcox257 »

Jorgen - many thanks

I'll give a try over the weekend