v4.5 crashes on startup

Any issues, problems or troubleshooting topics related to installing the Prepar3D client application or it's installer.
jdhil

v4.5 crashes on startup

Post by jdhil »

J D Hillman
P3D ver4.5x
add ons: PMDG 777, PMDG 747-400, PMDG 737-NGU, MilViz Cessna 310, ORBX, REX weather

I ran ver 3.x with no difficulties, so I bought v4.5x to gain 64bit. It was beautiful and worked without problem for several months, then it ceased function with the problem described below. Changes close to when I first saw the malfunction include: Windows 11 and an issue with Active Weather (I tried to install AS16 which doesn't work. Perhaps one of these is relevant.

Problem: I launch v4.5 and the scenario screen appears as normal. However, if I move the mouse pointer across the buttons, they go blank. If I go ahead and push one, the entire process crashes. Not to desktop in my experience, but just dissimilation of the screen forcing closure.

I have uninstalled and reinstalled several times (always sure to have Defender and Windows antivirus disabled). Curiously, I reinstalled ver 3.x without incident. It runs fine.

Setup: Alienware Aurora R9 / i7-9700K@3.6ghz / nVidia G-Force RTX-2070 Super / DirectX 12 / Windows 11 ver 21H2

I run elevated administrative privilege and always launch P3D "as administrator".
Windows / Alienware / nVidia are all updated to the latest change.

I have set the nVidia card setting to "Prepar3D.exe"

dxdiag: "no problems found"

I went to P3D folder and ran "Delete Generated Files"

All addons were deleted and not reinstalled whenever I reinstalled ver 4.5x

I've rebooted each time with the same issue repeating.

I'm a doctor, not a computer whiz and I am near admitting defeat. I wonder if v5.x will run OK...?

Anyway I thank you for your interest and succor.

JD