How To Reload 4.2 w/o Losing Addons

Any issues, problems or troubleshooting topics related to installing the Prepar3D client application or it's installer.
cstei255

How To Reload 4.2 w/o Losing Addons

Post by cstei255 »

I've posted this on Avsim, but just realised I really should have posted it here.

I've searched, but can't find this answer - I may not be searching for the right thing because I would assume this info is out there if it is possible to do.

I have P3d V4.2 w/ several add-ons. Today I loaded a PTA file and then began to load Reshade - something happened and now P3d won't open/load. Sits forever. I'm sure something is corrupted somewhere.

I have uninstalled/reinstalled the Client and Content - about to uninstall/reinstall Scenery, but I'm not expecting any change. I also have deleted the P3d Config File so it could reload. I expect I will have to uninstall P3d and start over, but before I do is there a way to not have to reinstall all of my addons - I thought I had read that P3d v4+ separated the add-ons for this vary reason - I'm just not aware of how to do it.

Any help would be REALLY appreciated!!

Thanks - Chuck
P3D V5, FTX Products, Windows 10, i7-8700K CPU @ 3.70GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Super, JetMax, SimAvionics Software
downscc

Re: How To Reload 4.2 w/o Losing Addons

Post by downscc »

You thought P3D separated the addons... wrong. Developers are given the opportunity to install their stuff using the addon method described in the SDK. Not all developers are doing that, and I'm not even sure something like a Reshade or the popular PTA would qualify as an addon since it is more of a modification to the program than an addition to the program.

You should contact the developers of such products for assistance.
Dan Downs
KCRP
Poppet

Re: How To Reload 4.2 w/o Losing Addons

Post by Poppet »

Hello Chuck

Before you Uninstall Prepar3D remove the Prepar3D generated files to see if this step resolves your Issue.

Note: This will disable your 3rd party Add On's and bring Prepar3D back to a default state

Depending on what Add On's you have some of them can be quickly Introduced back again after these steps.

Navigate to your core Prepar3D v4 folder, Scroll down a bit, Double left Click on the file Delete Generated files, A small black window will appear and then disappear again, this is normal

Then launch Prepar3D and test

Let us know how you get on