Individual Magneto Switches

Post your feature requests here. Note that we cannot promise that any of these posts will be commented on or that requested features will be implemented.
Robert Irwin

Individual Magneto Switches

Post by Robert Irwin »

The system seems to be designed for a rotary Magneto Switch with the sequence- OFF/RIGHT/LEFT/BOTH. The switch is incremented and decremented in that sequence. Some aircraft have two individual Magneto Switches. I have an external controller with two such switches and the problem arises when trying to assign the function of each.

I have the FSUIPC software installed which allows each of the four switch states to be assigned. I also employ a logic circuit which outputs the four different states of the two switches. Thus there are four switch inputs to the simulator and they are assigned to- OFF, RIGHT, LEFT or BOTH respectively. This is working perfectly well.

However, the problem is that the simulator cannot allow switching directly from RIGHT to BOTH or from LEFT to OFF because of it's increment/decrement sequence. Since the individual switches can do this, the simulator response is confused. This does not seem to be a problem when clicking on the displayed switches with the mouse.

If the simulator could be reprogramed to accept the commands- RIGHT ON/RIGHT OFF/LEFT ON/LEFT OFF, it would overcome the problem and my logic circuit would be unnecessary.

A lesser but similar issue occurs with with the raising and lowering of the undercarriage. It is simply toggled up and down using the same switch. This can be a bit disconcerting if you get it out of sequence, especially when landing. Separate RAISE and LOWER commands would provide more certainty.

Robert Irwin
KevinKaessmann

Re: Individual Magneto Switches

Post by KevinKaessmann »

I don't know if your controller simulates the switches as four individual buttons or four axes, nevertheless:
by assigning them to a LUA script with the parameter set to each switch position (say 0=off, 1=right, 2=left, 3=both),
the LUA script should be able to set the corresponding P3D offsets (0x0892 UW "Engine 1 starter switch position" and 0x092A UW "Engine 2 starter switch position") directly to the appropriate switch position.
The offsets are described in "FSUIPC Offsets Status" and the writing of these offsets in "FSUIPC LUA Library" (ipc.readUW, ipc.writeUW).
WarpD

Re: Individual Magneto Switches

Post by WarpD »

I am assuming you are using the MAGNETO_INCR and MAGNETO_DECR events to adjust the magneto setting. There are also individual events defined for each possible position.
  • MAGNETO1_OFF
  • MAGNETO1_RIGHT
  • MAGNETO1_LEFT
  • MAGNETO1_BOTH
  • MAGNETO1_START
Ed Wilson
Senior Developer
Mindstar Aviation