Terrain Shadows, water & video card drivers.

Any issues, problems or troubleshooting topics related to computer hardware and the Prepar3D client application
LivingFood

Post by LivingFood »

Hi everyone,

I have an HD7850 2GB video card, I was curious about which catalyst drivers people are using. The latest 13.11 Beta drivers are from Nov, 22nd, is this what people are using?

Secondly, my water is un-animated. I'm not even talking about the 3D waves, but the texture itself is just still when flying over it. Also, the terrain shadows seem to be on the wrong side of the light source. The sun is rising from the east, but the light source on the terrain is coming from the west, so the shadows are on the same side as the light source.

Is anyone else experiencing this?

I can post a screenshot later today if need be.

Thanks!
Beau Hollis
Lockheed Martin

Post by Beau Hollis »

If you've been changing drivers you may want to clear out your shader cache. Delete this folder.

DRIVE:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Local\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v2\Shaders

Occasionally the global state we check to switch from sun shadows to moon shadows gets flipped a little early or a little late. Try playing with the time preview window to see if the shadows are better a little later in the day.
Beau Hollis
Prepar3D Software Architect
LivingFood

Post by LivingFood »

Hey Beau, thanks for responding.

I haven't actually changed any drivers yet, I figured I would ask what most people were using before I installed new ones.

I'll try deleting that folder later today, is that a possible cause for the water texture not being animated? And as for the terrain shadowing, that would make sense considering it was early morning. It's a shame too because that's when the shadows would look the best from the sun!
WBard

Post by WBard »

howdy!

The water should be animated if you're on ultra and have wind speeds going, that will kick up the 3D waves, though you were talking about something different.

We'll look into the terrain shadow cast issue you mentioned.