New Video Card: GeForce 660?

Any issues, problems or troubleshooting topics related to computer hardware and the Prepar3D client application
Sand2Silicon

Post by Sand2Silicon »

Looking to upgrade my video card, any recommendations on best performance/value? Looks like the NVidia GeForce GTX-660 is the most current <$250. Looking for a big performance boost. Will this card let me run Prepar3D at higher settings with solid FPS?

Currently using a Quadro FX3700. This was the equivalent of a GeForce 8800GT. Both of which still sell for more $$ than the new GTX 660, which makes me a bit nervous! Was getting ~20 FPS in Prepar3D with mid-range settings. That dropped by 60% after installing REX-Essentials Weather. Only the lowest-resolution ground-textures get rendered now. (Should note the Quadro came with a USED Workstation for work. Certainly did not buy that one new! lol)

Thanks for any Guidance.
Sand2Silicon

Post by Sand2Silicon »

Ordered the PNY GeForce GTX-670, the performance should be phenomenal so I'm excited and will post back! This card's two notches up and significantly more than I wanted to spend but .. Merry Christmas to me! GTX-660 TI had some good reviews in other FSX forums, saw nothing about the GTX-660. From there, PNY's GTX-670 is only $10 more than EVGA's GTX-660 TI.

I'm also a programmer and experimenting with nVidia's CUDA programming on the GPU. "Career Investment" Otherwise it would be hard to justify the cost. We'll see how it goes. 8-)

vgbaron

Post by vgbaron »

A lot will depend on which CPU you are using as to how much of a performance increase you will see. If it's an old Q series or early AMD, not much. If it's an I series, you should see better visuals but I doubt your fps will change much - ALTHO - if the Rex weather was overloading the Quadro you might get good results. Anyhow, you bought it already! Look at it this way, if it doesn't change much, it's time to get a new CPU!!!

Merry Christmas!

Vic