Weird flickering (white) lines in P3Dv5.2 AMD users

Any issues, problems or troubleshooting topics related to computer hardware and the Prepar3D client application
mytree123

Weird flickering (white) lines in P3Dv5.2 AMD users

Post by mytree123 »

Hello!
I know for a fact that many AMD users have some weird visual and performance bugs within P3Dv5.2.

1. There are weird lines flickering in the cockpit of some aircraft. An example would be the Boeing 737 by PMDG (ngxu). Even without having add-ons installed you can see these lines in the default aircraft. In that case the color of the flickering lines varies between red, green, blue and purple. Down in the attachements you can view the flickering lines on the ECAM of the PMDG 737-800.
2. The second thing that is really nervewracking is that (ONLY ON AMD GPUs) there are such flickering lines on add-on airports too. If you ask me, they look even more ridiculous than the one inside the cockpit. One thing that is noteable is that these lines become less once you zoom in further.
3. DXGI hung errors! The most annoying thing that (as far as I know) only appears to AMD users are these DXGI errors. I don't have my settings cranked but did end up to get one of these errors quite recently.
Yes, with a TdrLevel value you can avoid those errors but I would like LM to fix this problem internaly other than fixing it within Windows.

The thing I am trying to say here is: PLEASE fix glitches AMD users face withing P3Dv5.2 because if we take v4.5 as an example, it works perfectly fine! No lines, no glitches, no DXGI errors!

I hope this helped the LM team to determine the issue and I wish you all a pleasent day!
Cheers,
Niels

Attachements:
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing (the one picture that is on the drive)
Niels
JorgenSA

Re: Weird flickering (white) lines in P3Dv5.2 AMD users

Post by JorgenSA »

What makes you think this is solely a L-M problem? As I have written in other threads, there are several players involved:

1. Microsoft, who created and supposedly updates DX12,

2. The graphics cards manufacturers, nVidia and AMD (hardware and drivers), and lastly

3. L-M (application)

As far as I can recall, this is also the first time this flickering white line issue has been posted here.

Jorgen
System: i5-12600K@4.9 GHz, ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-I motherboard, 32 GB 4800 MHz DDR5 RAM, Gainward RTX 3060 w/ 12 GB DDR6 VRAM, Windows 10 Pro.

All views and opinions expressed here are entirely my own. I am not a Lockheed-Martin employee.
mytree123

Post by mytree123 »

Hello!
No this is not the first time it was posted here. There are a few people who have this problem, including me I know 6 of them.
What would you reckon, what should I do to fix this issue?
Kind regards,
Niels
Niels
JorgenSA

Post by JorgenSA »

The basics are a little trivial, so bear with me:

1. Update your Windows 10 to the latest level from Microsoft, and make sure that under Update the switch "Receive updates for other Microsoft products" is set to On. Leave the switch like that so you are sure you get updates for for example the .NET Framework in the future.

2. Update your graphics driver to the latest. I do not know how often AMD comes out with updates, but nVidia typically brings out updates near the end of the month, sometimes more often.

That covers the basics.

Now, for the specific issue: I tried searching the web for this string:

p3d flickering white lines amd

This search brought up this very thread plus another in these forums, in which I believe you also participated. But it also brought up some threads on AVSIM, maybe you want to take a look at those?

Jorgen
System: i5-12600K@4.9 GHz, ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-I motherboard, 32 GB 4800 MHz DDR5 RAM, Gainward RTX 3060 w/ 12 GB DDR6 VRAM, Windows 10 Pro.

All views and opinions expressed here are entirely my own. I am not a Lockheed-Martin employee.
mytree123

Post by mytree123 »

Thank you!
I will try doing the updates with all the .NET packages. Where do you enable that?
I have looked at those forums but thanks for helping!
Cheers
Niels
Niels
JorgenSA

Post by JorgenSA »

The only thing you need to do is to turn that switch to On.

Go to Star/Settings/Update and Security, click on "Advanced options" at the bottom of the big pane, and then under "Update options" turn the sliding switch to the right. Exit and run Windows Update, and if there's anything missing, it will be installed.

Leave that switch like that for the future.

Jorgen

mytree123

Post by mytree123 »

Alright! I will try that tomorrow, thanks a ton!
Niels
Niels
mytree123

Post by mytree123 »

Tried all the updates, restarted the computer, started the sim with the PMDG 737-800 NGXU and the issue still persits. (view screenshot for more info)
Niels

Attachements: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing
Niels
vurplex

Post by vurplex »

I have the same problem with AMD, certain displays also have a white line with different colors specifically on the QW787 and pmdg 747. So I assume this is a problem with P3D not the aircraft.
AMD 5900x, 32gb@3600MHz ram, Sapphire Nitro+ 6900xt, Windows 10 Pro & 2tb NVME
JorgenSA

Post by JorgenSA »

Have you both asked the add-on aircraft developers about this issue?

You both have AMD graphics cards, so it might be an AMD issue.

Jorgen

vurplex

Post by vurplex »

JorgenSA wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 5:12 pm Have you both asked the add-on aircraft developers about this issue?

You both have AMD graphics cards, so it might be an AMD issue.

Jorgen
This is an AMD issue, i have both a NVIDIA and AMD card. Only happens on the AMD, this could be to do with this post https://www.prepar3d.com/forum/viewtopi ... 37#p240037 When you change the size of the display as a pop out instrument the white line appears and disappears as you change the screen size. As this happens on multiple aircraft even default aircraft I'm sure this is a problem with P3D not the aircraft developers.
Martyson

Post by Martyson »

I have Nvidia RTX20TI 11GB

Best Regards,
Vaughan Martell PP-ASEL (KDTW)
vurplex

Post by vurplex »

Martyson wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 5:50 pm I have Nvidia RTX20TI 11GB

Yes, Ive tested both Nvidia and AMD the issue only appears on AMD.
lkalam

Post by lkalam »

We have long complained about this issue. It's evident in default aircraft as well. We posted a topic on this awhile ago.
It's an AMD issue for sure - it's only evident on AMD cards.
Lefteris Kalamaras
Flight Sim Labs, Ltd.
---------------------------
www.flightsimlabs.com
mytree123

Post by mytree123 »

Okay, thank you! Will it be fixed soon?
Niels