Computer out of memory

Any issues, problems or troubleshooting topics related to computer hardware and the Prepar3D client application
LeslieJoe

Computer out of memory

Post by LeslieJoe »

Was using P3D v5.2 with no problems but then on a restart I got the message 'computer run out of memory' message. The message suggest to alter the settings. How can I do this when the I cannot start P3D?

This only happens with P3D, as I can run another flight simulator without any issues.

Specs are.
Windows 10 64bit
AMD Ryzen 7
GeForce RTX 2060 Super
32GB RAM

Can someone please suggest a way forward of how to solve this problem?

Les
JorgenSA

Re: Computer out of memory

Post by JorgenSA »

Reboot the computer. After the reboot, run nothing else, but see if P3D will start now.

Jorgen
System: i5-12600K@4.9 GHz, ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-I motherboard, 32 GB 4800 MHz DDR5 RAM, Gainward RTX 3060 w/ 12 GB DDR6 VRAM, Windows 10 Pro.

All views and opinions expressed here are entirely my own. I am not a Lockheed-Martin employee.
LeslieJoe

Post by LeslieJoe »

Hello Jorgen,
Thanks for answering to my problem.

Could you please elaborate when you say run nothing else
JorgenSA

Post by JorgenSA »

We reboot the computer here in order to give you a "clean slate" in RAM. The thing is that many applications unfortunately do not clean up after themselves when you shut them down, but leave stuff scattered around in RAM, which could be what caused to to run out of RAM.

So just reboot, let the system come up, but don't start anything yourself. When the desktop is up, just leave it for a minute or so, then start P3D and see if you run out of memory now.

P3D should also run as Administrator. To make sure it does that, right-click on the P3D icon and select Properties from the menu. Among the various options you should now see one called "Run this program as Administrator". If the checkbox next to that is checked, everything is OK, if it is not checked, check it, then click Apply and then OK at the bottom of the panel.

Jorgen
System: i5-12600K@4.9 GHz, ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-I motherboard, 32 GB 4800 MHz DDR5 RAM, Gainward RTX 3060 w/ 12 GB DDR6 VRAM, Windows 10 Pro.

All views and opinions expressed here are entirely my own. I am not a Lockheed-Martin employee.
LeslieJoe

Post by LeslieJoe »

Hello Jorgen,
I have followed your instructions but am still getting the same message, so I cannot proceed any further.

My set up is that I have a drive (465GB) dedicated only to P3D and this set up has been so for a number of years.
If this could be of help in giving my C drive has at the moment 35GB of free space.
Also I have noticed that whilst I left the computer idle and before starting P3D my memory usage was showing 6%.

Perhaps the above could help you to suggest something else and to try to get back my P3D.
Sabre57

Post by Sabre57 »

Can you post the exact text of the message? Per your specs you have 32GB of ram and many folks run with a lot less and don't have this issue.
I9-9900
32GB RAM
RTX 3090 FTW
Assorted SSDs and HDDs
3x55" TVs
Alpha/Bravo Honeycombs
SPAD.Next, ASV6
LeslieJoe

Post by LeslieJoe »

Hello Jorgen and Sabre57,
Many thanks for your interest in my problem.
Glad to report that my P3Dv5.2 is back to normal.
The solution to "Computer run out of memory" .

I ensured that I followed Jorgen advice and was running as an Administrator.
Then I started removing my addons , one at a time and replacing it back if the issue was still present.
Luckily on my third addon removal the P3D came back on with no out of memory message.

The addon in question was updated about 3 weeks ago and had not posed any problems.
Now I have re installed it and all is working as expected.

Once again many thanks.
JorgenSA

Post by JorgenSA »

Good to hear it, but can you tell us which that add-on was? Also, I think its developer might like a note about your issue.

Jorgen

LeslieJoe

Post by LeslieJoe »

Hi Jorgen,
IT was FSLabs A320 version v5.0.1.169.

I was using this on a daily bases since this update became available and had no problems with it.
However When I identified that it was the add on that was causing the problem I removed it and did a re install of the same version and with all my normal settings and is causing no issues.
I have spent today bringing it back to normal and am enjoying flying it as before.

Joe
Sabre57

Post by Sabre57 »

Glad you figured it out. Not sure how this type of thing happens but sometimes an install gets corrupted and causes headaches.
I9-9900
32GB RAM
RTX 3090 FTW
Assorted SSDs and HDDs
3x55" TVs
Alpha/Bravo Honeycombs
SPAD.Next, ASV6