Underwhelming performance of 10900kf

Any issues, problems or troubleshooting topics related to computer hardware and the Prepar3D client application
Highflyer747

Underwhelming performance of 10900kf

Post by Highflyer747 »

Hello.

As described already in my VR-related thread ( https://www.avsim.com/forums/forum/796- ... and-games/ ), performance of my 10900kf is pretty underwhelming.

I don't know why, but due to whatever reason, it seems to be overclocked on as Windows basis: Task Manager shows me a base speed of 3.7 and a current speed of 4.9GHz. CPU-Z shows the same figures. Maybe that's due to the fact that MSI Dragon-Center was installed from the manufacturer.

BIOS shows a clockspeed of only 3.7GHz, so somethings going on here on a WIN10 level.

Today I've performed a PassMark CPU Test and attained a Mark of about 20.000. This seems to be well below average, as the average according PassMark is around 24.000.

Furthermore: I've attained only 20.000 with a clock speed of 4.9Ghz, the comparitive values ( 24.000 ) are all related to the base clock of 3.7GHz.

What's going on here?

Any help / assistance would be highly appreciated.

Thank's in advance and best regards,

Toto
JorgenSA

Re: Underwhelming performance of 10900kf

Post by JorgenSA »

If you yourself did not overclock this, then you are probably running at 3.7 GHz.

For overclocking start with consulting your motherboard manual.

Jorgen
System: i5-12600K@4.9 GHz, ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-I motherboard, 32 GB 4800 MHz DDR5 RAM, Gainward RTX 3060 w/ 12 GB DDR6 VRAM, Windows 10 Pro.

All views and opinions expressed here are entirely my own. I am not a Lockheed-Martin employee.
Highflyer747

Post by Highflyer747 »

Hello Jorgen.

Both CPU-Z and Speccy are showing multipliers of 49-50, thence the clockspeed of 4.9GHz.

I think I have to labour a little bit on overclocking.

What irritates me is the well below average performance of my CPU on the PassMark CPU-Mark Benchmark.

Best regards,

Toto
Jim Harnes

Post by Jim Harnes »

Here is a good place to start the overclocking "game": http://gex.flight1.net/forumimages/Over ... Series.pdf

Jim
KevinKaessmann

Post by KevinKaessmann »

Your processor is designed to get high clock rates on few cores over short time, explained e.g. here.
If your BIOS settings are according to Intel defaults, these high clock frequencies are kept just for a minute.
The fewer cores are used, the higher frequencies.
Intel default means gradual frequencies: some few cores run very high, the other cores run lower, but you cannot decide which application/thread runs with what frequency at a specific point in time.
So maybe a first trial would be the AFFINITYMASK setting to reduce the number of cores that Prepar3d uses, so these fewer cores gain higher frequencies.