Bought P3D 4.5 and can't get it to run correctly

Any issues, problems or troubleshooting topics related to computer hardware and the Prepar3D client application
caustin1681

Bought P3D 4.5 and can't get it to run correctly

Post by caustin1681 »

I don't even know how to explain how disappointed I am right now. I can't even fully describe what it's doing. I have all of the correct hardware for the system requirements, I've tried tweaking all of the settings, and still can't figure out how to get this thing to run correctly. I bought a computer with
Windows 10 64bit,
Core i7 @280 GHz (8CPUs) - 2.8GHz,
Display: AMD Radeon R5 200 Series (Total memory, 5872MB, Display Memory 2032MB, Shared Memory 3840MB)
Direct X12
Good WiFi connection
Connected to a 4k HDTV

Am I missing something here? It's like being back on windows 95. It lags so badly and the framing isn't smooth at all.

I need help

Also, as soon as I rotate, the camera switches from cockpit to outside. How do I stop that from happening?
CplDaniel

Re: Bought P3D 4.5 and can't get it to run correctly

Post by CplDaniel »

I do not think you will find the meaningful user experience you seek by running P3d on the PC described. With 4 megabytes of System RAM available as not-being-taken by the graphics chip, you might be better off with a 32bit simulator (which in Windows is limited to using at most 4mb of RAM). If you had brought this up during the SteamSummerSale last weekend AND could afford to lose the training functionality, customization, and scenario adaptability options of Prepar3D in exchange for a generally smoother performance with a more pleasing appearance; then I would have recommended you to look at Aerofly FS2 which had been on sale for $38 along with a bunch of freely available & paid addon packages from Orbx. The whole FS2 eco-system was available last week for just under $200 in a much more consumer-friendly programming package. But, it's no P3d if you need to program engine-failure or practice a recovery drill procedure. Hope this post helps
Daniel
JorgenSA

Post by JorgenSA »

I don't know about Aerofly FS2, I'll readily admit, but seriously, the computer with the specs mentioned will not run FSX properly, sorry to say, let alone P3D with its much higher demands on the hardware.

Jorgen
System: i5-12600K@4.9 GHz, ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-I motherboard, 32 GB 4800 MHz DDR5 RAM, Gainward RTX 3060 w/ 12 GB DDR6 VRAM, Windows 10 Pro.

All views and opinions expressed here are entirely my own. I am not a Lockheed-Martin employee.
KevinKaessmann

Post by KevinKaessmann »

Concerning your PC: https://www.prepar3d.com/system-requirements/ - but forget the "minimum" column except that P3D runs well under Win 7-64.

Your graphics card is much too weak, compare it to my not-high-end GTX 1070:
http://hwbench.com/vgas/geforce-gtx-107 ... eon-r5-230
Your processor seems to be a i7-860 "Lynnfield" from 2009 :
https://ark.intel.com/content/www/de/de ... 0-ghz.html, so not 8 cores but 4 cores + Hyperthreading. But flight simulation depends highly on single core performace (today, we talk about > 4 GHz ;-)

And 4 GByte RAM is not state of the art, 8 GB min, better 16 GB.

As Daniel stated: either look for a cheap 32bit simulator (with all limitiations) or open your wallet to get a PC not older than 1-2 years.

BTW: your problem with the switching view - may it result from a wrong assignment of your stick's axis ?

Kevin