Ryzen 1800x/RX 580, complete frustration

Any issues, problems or troubleshooting topics related to computer hardware and the Prepar3D client application
mryan75

Ryzen 1800x/RX 580, complete frustration

Post by mryan75 »

Hi guys,

I just bought a Dell 5675 with a Ryzen 1800x and RX 580 to run P3D. Downloaded, installed, ran fine for about 15 minutes, then random flashes on the screen of the panel, then it starts tearing, then it starts jerking and hiccuping. HORRIBLE frame rates with all the sliders in the middle, like 15 FPS in the Cub flying around in the middle of nowhere.

Check 1,000 different things, adjust the monitor refresh rate, update all the drivers (MOBO, graphics card). Full uninstall, full reinstall, and run up the Cub again. All sliders at the lowest, and wow! 200 FPS, no studdering, tearing, works like a dream!.. for 15 minutes. Then starts the flashing again. In VC you start seeing flashes of gauges all over the screen. I just shut it down.

I'm not the smartest guy in the world, not the dumbest either. I've been waiting for YEARS to get a decent system for P3D and now I get this nonsense. I took a week off from work (no joke) to get this set up and to enjoy, here it is Thursday night, I've spent a half-hour flying and 4 days messing with the stupid thing. I am truly beyond frustrated at this point. I just can't understand how in 2018 you can't have a flight sim that just runs. I remember spending countless hours messing with FSX back in the day, I just don't have the time anymore. I'm just about ready to try XPlane, which i do NOT want to do, but if the friggin' thing works...

What can I do? Everything is updated. Clean install. Literally nothing else on this Pc. The ONLY reason I got it is for p3d. No addons running. I just don't get it.

Please help a very frustrated simmer...
WarpD

Re: Ryzen 1800x/RX 580, complete frustration

Post by WarpD »

It sounds to me like your video card is being overworked. Perhaps overheating?
Ed Wilson
Senior Developer
Mindstar Aviation
mryan75

Post by mryan75 »

WarpD wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 4:18 am It sounds to me like your video card is being overworked. Perhaps overheating?
That would seem odd just because of the low settings, but maybe! I will check that and report back. What temps should I be seeing (or not seeing!)? Thanks for your reply!
WarpD

Post by WarpD »

A quick internet search yields information that suggests 70c to 80c under load.
Ed Wilson
Senior Developer
Mindstar Aviation
mryan75

Post by mryan75 »

Found a great thread from someone with the exact same PC as me who had a fix using Wattman. Changed the target temperature. I tried it, hasn't done jack. Still same problem. Saw a suggestion that Norton AV may cause it. Ran the fix. Same problem. I'm about done downloading the xplane demo. If it does it in xplane I'm just taking the stupid thing back. Five days with my thumb up my rear trying to fix this.
Brady Butler
Lockheed Martin

Post by Brady Butler »

Hello mryan75,

Did you review this topic? Can you let us know the results from following the troubleshooting steps?

http://www.prepar3d.com/forum/viewtopic ... 2&t=123246

Regards,
Brady
Brady Butler
Prepar3D® Software Engineer
mryan75

Post by mryan75 »

Seemed to run XP fine although very low FPS. No stuttering or tearing and the graphics looked great, just the pan was very slow. Switched back to P3d and it ran fine for the twenty minutes I ran it. GPU is maxed and graphics memory is as well. Temps in the 50s.

I just don't get it but I've wasted enough time this week with this. I'll try it once more tomorrow for a bit and if I have the problem again I'm boxing the computer and taking it back. Just don't have the time to waste.
mryan75

Post by mryan75 »

Brady Butler wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 7:40 pm Hello mryan75,

Did you review this topic? Can you let us know the results from following the troubleshooting steps?

http://www.prepar3d.com/forum/viewtopic ... 2&t=123246

Regards,
Brady
Hey Brady,

I did look at that. I've done all of that and then some. Updated all the drivers again (even though they were the latest, I reinstalled them). Tried a different mouse, different USB ports. It worked a little longer the last time before all the flashing started. It never crashes, just flashes all over the screen of the gauges.

It's pretty odd because MS says to check if task manager flashes when you open it, and it does not. But the Wattman panel does. Last time the sim started flashing I shut it down and checked TM and Wattman. The Wattman window flashedbut the TM window did not. I had browser windows open and they flashed, but TM never did. According to Ms that means it's likely Norton. So I went through the whole fix process, made no difference.

Just extremely frustrated at this point. I feel like I've wasted an entire week for absolutely nothing.
mryan75

Post by mryan75 »

So I gave it one last go before taking it back yesterday... and it worked. I did about a 25-minute flight around my home 'drome, no problems. So then I did what I bought the whole system for: IFR training. I set the weather to just above minimums and did the flight again, out to the local VOR, one hold, and then flew the ILS back in the soup. Again, no problems.

So that was about an hours' worth of flying with no issues. So I'm encouraged. Who knows why it worked fine yesterday and didn't the day before. But I'm going to give it another go today and see how we do.
WarpD

Post by WarpD »

I had a conversation the other day with a friend regarding your issue. They mentioned that AMD video cards apparently don't perform their best when paired with AMD CPUs. I can neither confirm nor deny this, but it's food for thought.
Ed Wilson
Senior Developer
Mindstar Aviation
mryan75

Post by mryan75 »

WarpD wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2018 4:55 pm I had a conversation the other day with a friend regarding your issue. They mentioned that AMD video cards apparently don't perform their best when paired with AMD CPUs. I can neither confirm nor deny this, but it's food for thought.
Could be I suppose. That would seem pretty odd though. I'll report back on my next flight. I really hopeful that whatever it is has passed. This is my first non-intel/NVIDIA setup and I really don't want it to have a negative outcome.
elmucki

Post by elmucki »

intel and AMD are polar opposites... I will always prefer Intel as i usually had some problems with AMD.
Windows 11 x64 on a 4TB SSD | AMD Ryzen Threadripper 3960X | TRX40 AORUS Master | 128GB DDR4 3600MHz | 1250W PSU | 2x EVGA RTX 3090 | P3D v5 and MSFS2020 on a 4TB SSD | Custom Corsair Hydro Cooling