Got an Oculus, where do I start?

Any issues, problems or troubleshooting topics related to computer hardware and the Prepar3D client application
RobCom

Got an Oculus, where do I start?

Post by RobCom »

Hey y'all, I just got an Oculus Rift Touch and got it all set up, it works in the demo modes that came with the gear so it's working properly.

I want to use it in P3Dv4, are there any good complete setup guides on how to best use the headset? I know from a previous conversation that the touch controllers are most likely going to be useless, but that's ok with me as I have everything I need mapped to my joysticks and pedals.

I do have questions though,

like can I use only one sensor? If so do I put it in the center of my desktop?

Do I need any other software? or will it work right out of the box?

stuff like that.

thanks for any guidance.
ASUS Z690 Apex ; 12900k ; 32gig Corsair Vengeance DDR5 4800 ; ASUS RTX 4080 OC ; Creative SB Audigy Rx
ronh991

Re: Got an Oculus, where do I start?

Post by ronh991 »

In order to get things going you need to set-up two sensors with the hand controllers. Then just remove the batteries in the hand controllers. Don't think it works without two sensors.

I use Fly Inside, and think it is a great add-on. I have not tried the oculus without it, but i think it works without it.
Ron
RobCom

Post by RobCom »

Hey Ron thanks,

Yeah i downloaded Flyinside on your previous recommendation but I haven't installed it yet. I guess it's a trial until I see if I like it so I will give it a shot.

The 2 sensors is going to be a challenge, I have a limited space here at my desk, when I was setting up the VR I had to stand way back to get everything to pass the test, my first encounter with VR was nothing short of amazing though and my son was in computer heaven. It would be much easier on me with one sensor but it takes 2 then I'll have to improvise.

My PC has to sit on my desk and kind of blocks the one left sensor if I'm in my cockpit (chair), I wonder if I can try them a little farther to the side?

I guess I'll just have to play with it.

Thanks again Ron, I'm definitely glad I got the Oculus, if the first experience alone is any indication of what this thing can do I am really going to get into it.

PS: I got a USB 3.0 hub and plugged the headset and one sensor into it, and then, on recommendation from one of the tech at Oculus, plugged the other sensor into the front USB 2.0, works like a charm.
ASUS Z690 Apex ; 12900k ; 32gig Corsair Vengeance DDR5 4800 ; ASUS RTX 4080 OC ; Creative SB Audigy Rx
aeronauta

Post by aeronauta »

If the rift works OK then it will work in P3D , no need fot two sensors , I had it for a long time with one and no touch , then got the touch and two sensors and still OK, (no touch in P3D) .. just open P3D and select Virtual Reality from the menu select stereo view and off you go..

Jorge
Jorge Roldan
OZx Developer (aero) - Hovercontrol Helicopter Certified Pilot - Spad.Next Beta Tester - VATPAC Pilot PR
System i9-9990 4.7Ghz 32GB W11 Nvidia GeForce RTX 2080 8GB
RobCom

Post by RobCom »

Thanks for those tips Jorge, I got it working, although it is a bit grainy.

I have been trying to tweak out the graphics to get it to look better but it just grainy or fuzzy? Can't decide which.

I'll tell you what though, it is an experience that's for sure, IF it was just at a better resolution it would be nothing short of amazing.

It's kind of jittery when I pan around too, I downloaded the Oculus tray tool and changed a setting that's supposed to ease the jittery panning, but it doesn't seem to do a whole lot.

I also tried to install the Flyinside tool to get my GPS and some things inside the VR but it looked terrible and kept crashing the sim.

Oh well, I'll keep at it!!

thanks y'all
aeronauta

Post by aeronauta »

RobCom, the gainy and low res is inherent , the VR sets have very low res , adjusting the eye separation and the position of the headset improves things .. I do not use at the moment Flyinside , just native P3D VR..

Jorge
Jorge Roldan
OZx Developer (aero) - Hovercontrol Helicopter Certified Pilot - Spad.Next Beta Tester - VATPAC Pilot PR
kitkatrobins

Post by kitkatrobins »

What GFX card do you need to make sure the cockpit instruments are readable? I'm looking at 1070.
aeronauta

Post by aeronauta »

No card will make any difference to the Rift, the resolution comes from the rift and there is nothing we can do to fix that (well wait for the next version with higher res and higher price tag...

Jorge
Jorge Roldan
Terry1718

Post by Terry1718 »

There are various settings within the FlyInside menu to increase the readability of the gauges and make the image appear sharper. If you go to the FlyInside website and have a look at the manual it explains it better than I can but it definitely does work. I don't think P3Dv4 has these settings. To maintain good performance you do need a good graphics card and I would like to think a 1070 would be fine. At least you can give the free trial of FlyInside a go, experiment and see what you think. Good luck.
Win 10, 8700K @5GHz, 2080ti, 32Gb RAM, Valve Index.