CTDs using high end aircraft

Other problems or issues not covered by other troubleshooting topics.
tonyc1946

CTDs using high end aircraft

Post by tonyc1946 »

The problem started after bought and flew into Tropical Sims Faro 2020 in the Aerosoft CRJ700. No problems going in there!

The following day I tried loading the PMDG NGX 737. But it wouldn't even load. Got as far 1% (objects I think?) but no further just CTD.

So I tried a different approach. I disabled the Tropical Sim Faro and tried a different aircraft - the Aerosoft Airbus 320 Professional. That actually loaded but lasted just a few minutes, whilst completing the FMC data, then CTD.

I then tried the default Falcon out of the default Faro. No problems!

Naturally I thought this was a GPU or CPU overload problem but I watched on my Task Manager and neither were anywhere near 100% went the CTDs came. I looked on the Event Viewer and what it said was all gobbledegook to me I am afraid.

I then reinstalled a fresh Tropical Sim Faro and again the default Falcon worked perfectly. Not even a stutter!

I taxied back to the stand and changed the Falcon for the Aerosoft Airbus and after a minutes it seemed I was having to click buttons twice for them to work then CTD!

I flew the Carenado Saab 340 afterwards which has a basic FMC flight planner init. No problems at all.

So P3Dv4 is working ok in its basic form but not with high quality addon aircraft (Aerosoft Airbus and PMDG).

I am running P3Dv4.4 on a PC which has an Intel(R) Core (TM) i7 - 2700k CPU @ 3500 Ghz and an NVidia Ge Force GTX 1060 6Gb graphics card.

Any help would be gratefully received!

Tony
JorgenSA

Re: CTDs using high end aircraft

Post by JorgenSA »

Tony,

The very first thing you should do is to do a client-only upgrade to v. 4.5 HF3.

After that, if you get the CTD again, note the time. Then go into Windows Event Viewer/Windows Logs/Application and see if there is an "Error" message at the time of the crash. If there is, post the information from that entry here.

But again, do the client-only upgrade first.

Jorgen
System: i5-12600K@4.9 GHz, ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-I motherboard, 32 GB 4800 MHz DDR5 RAM, Gainward RTX 3060 w/ 12 GB DDR6 VRAM, Windows 10 Pro.

All views and opinions expressed here are entirely my own. I am not a Lockheed-Martin employee.
tonyc1946

Post by tonyc1946 »

Thank you very much Jorgen.

I did get a copy of the error message yesterday. When I look at it it seems I may already be running V4.5?? Not sure it is HF3 though?

Here is the message.

JorgenSA

Post by JorgenSA »

You are running v. 4.5 HF2, and should do the upgrade (again, you only need to upgrade the client) to HF3.

The exception code in your error report:

0xc0000005

means that something - most likely an incompatible or badly programmed add-on - is attempting to write to an area of RAM where it has no access rights, but unfortunately there is no pointer as to what that "something" is.

Jorgen
System: i5-12600K@4.9 GHz, ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-I motherboard, 32 GB 4800 MHz DDR5 RAM, Gainward RTX 3060 w/ 12 GB DDR6 VRAM, Windows 10 Pro.

All views and opinions expressed here are entirely my own. I am not a Lockheed-Martin employee.
tonyc1946

Post by tonyc1946 »

Hi Jorgen

Thanks so much for this help.

I will upgrade to HSF 3.

If it is an addon then then I suspect it must be a scenery. If I deactivate all my general scenery addons then they shouldn't try to write to RAM ? Then perhaps delete scenery config and let it rewrite?

The only other thing non P3D I have downloaded and used lately is the "EmptyStandbyList" application which reduces the Cached memory every 5 minutes. Could it be that?

The only other thing I used last week was the Avast "Clean Up" tool free trial. But after I used it everything on my PC was slowed down so much I had to undo all the items it had "cleaned up (broken registries, etc). However P3D worked ok afterwards.

Thanks again for this help I really appreciate it.

Happy Easter by the way.

Tony
JorgenSA

Post by JorgenSA »

What I would do here is to go through the add-on scenery and then check with the developers to see if there any updates available, and check that the scenery really IS v. 4.5-compatible.

I do not believe that this "EmptyStandbyList" is the cause of the issue, but I also doubt that such a utility really is worth having. And it takes up a lot of CPU cycles that you want for the simulation anyway.

Jorgen

tonyc1946

Post by tonyc1946 »

Thanks Jorgen

Unfortunately the Client update makes no difference at all.

I will look at my scenery again but as it all worked ok before last week my guess is it is something installed since then.

If I can't solve it I guess it will be a wipe clean and start again job!

I will let you know how I get on.

Thanks again

Tony
tonyc1946

Post by tonyc1946 »

Jorgen

Sorry! One last question.

Do you think my CPU/GPU set up would sustain P3Dv5? I am wondering if it is worth upgrading to that.

My concern would be the capability of the CPU and memory size of the GPU.

Thanks

Tony
JorgenSA

Post by JorgenSA »

This quote here "my guess is it is something installed since then" shows that you are spot on!

Your system will run v. 5, but do not expect stellar performance. The bottleneck here is your CPU, which is on the slow side for v. 5. But you should be able to find a faster CPU that will fit in the LGA1155 socket, or one that fits your budget and can be overclocked to the far side of 4.5 GHz.

Jorgen