Strange Light Effects

Other problems or issues not covered by other troubleshooting topics.
Terblanche

Strange Light Effects

Post by Terblanche »

I have this very strange light effects ...

It is as if the lights spike either vertically or occasionally horizontally. When I'm close to the lights then they are normal but as you move away then the 'spikes' appear again. [See picture]

I've reinstalled the default halo.bmp file but it's not it. Some 3rd party scenery must have changed something in one of the effects files. Is there a way to fix this? Please.

Terblanche (FACT: Cape Town)
Brady Butler
Lockheed Martin

Re: Strange Light Effects

Post by Brady Butler »

Hello,

To have us assist you further, could you please review this topic and let us know the results from following the troubleshooting steps? Also, can you provide the details of your system?

http://www.prepar3d.com/forum/viewtopic ... 2&t=123246

If the issue is determined to be caused by an add-on, you will likely want to reach out to the add-on developer for direct support. If they need any support with development, they should not hesitate to contact us.

Regards,
Brady
Brady Butler
Prepar3D® Software Engineer
Terblanche

Post by Terblanche »

Thanks for the reply Brady -

A. Removed generated files a few times but the 'lights' anomaly persists.

1. P3D4.3 (latest version)
2. Win10x64
3. There is more than 10 fingers and 10 toes addons installed (that's my dilemma ... I've uninstalled the ones I suspected could have an influence; then checked the lights and reinstalled if the 'spikes' remain. Have no idea what, where, why)
4. i7 7700 @4.2 with 32GB DDR4 and a GTX1080Ti on a 4K monitor
5. In the prepar3d.cfg file the only line I have added is FFTF but as stated in [RE: 1] I've tried with a vanilla *.cfg and the lights still spike

B. I've reinstalled the CLIENT and CONTENT with the correct uninstall/reinstall procedure and still the lights have the spikes.

Don't know why my 'water' is telling me it is a fx.* file in [EFFECTS] folder but surely the reinstall of the CONTENT mod should have written new ones? With all my years of experience since FSX and now P3D, I've never encountered this.

I, with many others, feel that the whole lighting system in P3D desperately needs a rethink, reprogram, renovation, reoptimisation and that many 3rd party addons uses SODE and/or their own lighting system that sucks big time within the P3D envelope but even at those airports I haven't experience this aberration before.

Hope you will be able to help.
Terblanche

Post by Terblanche »

Brady Butler wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:10 pm Hello,

If they need any support with development, they should not hesitate to contact us.
If you could, will it be possible to tell me what files in the [EFFECTS] folder have an influence on the lights and then I could narrow my search down to those ...?

PS: Both the root files and the ones in the TEXTURE sub-folder, please?
Brady Butler
Lockheed Martin

Post by Brady Butler »

Hello,

It's possible an add-on added or modified files in the install directory. When you uninstalled did you check to see if there are any folder/files left in your install directory? If so you should delete those and install again. Otherwise we recommend removing all add-ons and reinstalling them one by one to find out which one is causing the issue.

Regards,
Brady
Brady Butler
Prepar3D® Software Engineer
Terblanche

Post by Terblanche »

I will only do another complete reinstall when 4.4 is released because it has become quite an epic to reinstall EVERYTHING again and it takes 2 days out of your life to get P3D back to where it was before and with everything of every thing working as it should.

I'll PM you with maybe one last resort ...