[RESOLVED] 3rd Party Scenery/Airplane Installation Guide???

Other problems or issues not covered by other troubleshooting topics.
Cyclone1

[RESOLVED] 3rd Party Scenery/Airplane Installation Guide???

Post by Cyclone1 »

Being sorted new to P3DV4.3 I have read and read different forums to include this one regarding 3rd party add-on scenery and aircraft. It seems to end up in a contest of cfg or XML method of install and then points to outside programs to help with XML method. What I have been searching for and have not found is a user friendly explanation of how to do either? My experience is that when I tried some of the suggested install methods is that my computer became a mess really fast with files all over the place and know way to undue the install resulting in three complete reinstalls, OS and P3DV4. I have many 3rd party add-ons and am scared to death to touch one as its seems this will equal disaster .I went to the P3D section of add on and it suggest right of the bat to install to C drive program files 86??? Is there a clear guide on how to install without the XML jargon or cfg to the root folder of P3DV4. I am not understanding all the hoops that have to be jumped through to do what should be an easy organized installation! Sorry for the rant but this has become very frustrating and I would like to enjoy the flight Sim again without so much complication of a 3rd party install!
downscc

Re: 3rd Party Scenery/Airplane Installation Guide???

Post by downscc »

Most basic and simple explanation is to follow the recommendation of the addon developer. It is not possible to say that there is one way to install all addons.

If the developer is not providing an addon that is compatible with 64b P3Dv4 then I'd advise against using it.
Dan Downs
KCRP
Cyclone1

Post by Cyclone1 »

Thanks Dan that is where I am having a problem the learning center is instructing to install into C drive programs 86 which from what I understand is for 32bit program, that does not make sense when P3DV4 is 64bit. Truly this is a problem which coupled with 3rd party scenery and aircraft is filling this forum with one issue after another. I like many others are hoping a fix is in the makes to address this issue. P3DV4 is a great program however something is seriously amiss when there are multiple ways of incorporating add-ons. Has anyone out there been able to make heads or tails of where their programs are installing to in an orderly manor, I am thinking for the majority probably not. I think the learning Center needs an update for installing 3rd party add-on's to make the multiple ways of installing crystal clear followed with an explanation of where your files end up if you do it this way or that way. Poppet if your out there please help, there is no doubt this is a big problem as stated on many forums. Yes, you can install 3rd party scenery easy enough, but is it manageable and done properly? This has gotten to the point that some suggest a 3rd party installer just for scenery in the XML method, this is a clear sign something needs to be reworked in the base program. So to your reply sir the current recommended install procedure appears to be broken, why would you install 64bit programs to a 32 bit platform, I must be missing something here.
downscc

Post by downscc »

I'm not sure where you get your information. To quote the Learning Center:

Code: Select all

Install Location: C:\Program Files\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4\
I you review the Add-Ons section in the SDK there is a lot of useful information in an overview, guide for developers and detailed information on how to attach addons to P3D. No where is it suggested that 64b modules be placed in the Program Files (x86) area. The location suggested is %ProgramFiles%\<company name>.

I'm not sure where you are looking, but you could start at the LM P3D home page (not the forum) and under the menu item Learning click on Learning Center.
Dan Downs
KCRP
Cyclone1

Post by Cyclone1 »

My understanding as implied by your response is that the SDK is for developers, I am not a developer. As to where I am getting my information, well you just said it, The Learning Center! There are no quotation marks in my response, therefore no quote as you suggest. I am merely looking for help if you would like to copy and paste this wealth of information you appear to have knowledge of then please do. I and many others are seeing this problem perhaps you could share your knowledge or save this space for someone that can. I am not here to get into an online ping pong match if you can help then please do.
downscc

Post by downscc »

Cyclone1 wrote: Fri Jul 20, 2018 5:58 am My understanding as implied by your response is that the SDK is for developers, I am not a developer. As to where I am getting my information, well you just said it, The Learning Center! There are no quotation marks in my response, therefore no quote as you suggest. I am merely looking for help if you would like to copy and paste this wealth of information you appear to have knowledge of then please do. I and many others are seeing this problem perhaps you could share your knowledge or save this space for someone that can. I am not here to get into an online ping pong match if you can help then please do.
The SDK is not for developers only. If you are installing addons from 3d party developers then it is reasonable to expect them to understand the SDK. Your question was how to install any and all addons and my response pointed you to the best source of that information. Absolutely no technical knowledge of programming is required to understand everything in the SDK section on addons. If you do find the information on addons in the SDK difficult then I recommend you use the Lorby Addon Organizer and leave the technical details for others.
Dan Downs
KCRP
Cyclone1

Post by Cyclone1 »

Add On's P3Dv4
As an open simulation platform with a Software Development Kit (SDK), Prepar3D supports and encourages developers to create add-ons. Examples of add-ons can range from scenery and landclass data, to planes and land vehicles, and even radar/GPS plugins.

I may not understand how to properly load 3rd party programs, but I can read and no where is it stated in the SDK that this tool is for the average simmer, it is for Developers! It has already been stated by my previous post that if the average simmer must use a 3rd party installer to properly install then the base program needs a look by the developer as already mentioned. This is not an isolated post, there are many forums discussing this very issue and so far no response by the developer if this will be rectified. I am glad that you understand the SDK, most do not.
Poppet

Post by Poppet »

Hello Cyclone1

The default Install location for Prepar3D v4 is located below

C:\Program Files\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4

--------------

It really depends on what 3rd party Add On you are Installing.

Most Prepar3D v4 compatible Installers will Install automatically to the required locations with no further steps needed.

Also a lot of 3rd party developers have already complied there Installers to use the add-on.xml file method.

It is also completely normal to have Add On's Installed using the 2 methods, The Add-on.xml file and the .cfg file method.

I can link you to a tutorial to Install and set up Add On's using the Add-on.xml file way (Only if you want to learn this method manually) As I said though most compatible developers have set there Installers up this way already

So it really depends on what Add On's you are Installing ?
Cyclone1

Post by Cyclone1 »

Thank You Elaine,
I have just got back from out of town so this reply is a bit delayed. I would welcome the XML link and hopefully it is not to complicated, I like easy not sophisticated! Downloading is just one of many issues I am having with P3D4V.3.Currently I am hitting a brick wall as I have no Sim Connect in V4.3, had it in V4.0-V4.2?? I have so far had to full reinstall P3DV4 3 separate times and this is becoming more and more frustrating. Today I was wondering why SODE was not working and from what I am reading it is because of no sim connect. Why is P3DV4 so darn difficult to get to work properly? I am really really hoping these things will be sorted out in the very near future.
Respectfully,

Doug C
Poppet

Post by Poppet »

Cyclone1 wrote: Fri Aug 03, 2018 9:26 pm Today I was wondering why SODE was not working and from what I am reading it is because of no sim connect.

Hello Doug

Regarding SODE and SimConnect...

Have you tried manually Installing SimConnect at the location below ?

Prepar3D v4 ► redist ► Interface ► FSX-SP2 ► retail ► lib - SimConnect.msi

Cyclone1 wrote: Fri Aug 03, 2018 9:26 pm I would welcome the XML link and hopefully it is not to complicated, I like easy not sophisticated

You can configure your Add Ons to use the add-on.xml file method in two ways, Manually or using a 3rd party App.

Manually: Would require you to configure each Add On at a time

The link below is a well written Tutorial to configure Add Ons manually using the add-on.xml file way

http://www.nzfsim.org/index.php?dsp=P3D

----------------------------------

3rd party App

Here is just one 3rd party Utility that will configure your Add Ons to use the add-on.xml file.

This App will also organize your Add On's. Please read the PDF file for more on this

Prepar3D V3.3+/V4 Addon Organizer by Lorby-Si

Link to Download

Support Forums

Hope this helps
Cyclone1

Post by Cyclone1 »

Elaine as usual you are always a great resource of help and ideas and I thank you! This week I will begin my training on the resources you have provided. The saving grace to all of this is people like you who know what they are talking about and willing to share good information for the good of the Flight Sim Community. I have emailed you once or twice from the ORBX side of the house and you have proven to be a real asset to fellow simmers: thanks again!

Doug C
AKA Cyclone1
Poppet

Post by Poppet »

Hello Doug

Your very welcome