[RESOLVED] Where to install Lumberjack?

Other problems or issues not covered by other troubleshooting topics.
gets

[RESOLVED] Where to install Lumberjack?

Post by gets »

Lumberjack is a small app. that removes trees that are placed at each end of the runway which is not realistic. It works great in FSX and I am told it works with P3DV4.2. The instructions say to install it in the Add on Scenery folder. I don't see that folder in P3DV4.2. So....any ideas on where to install it in P3D?
i7-7700k 4.5 Ghz. 32 G RAM. Nvidia RTX 3060. Samsung 32" monitor. Two Samsung 1TB SSD.
downscc

Re: Where to install Lumberjack?

Post by downscc »

There are lots of small strips where the trees at the end of the runway are real. If you had specifics I would be glad to give you specific answers, but in general legacy stuff that worked in FSX/ESP does not work in P3Dv4. Some does, some not. The Addon Scenery folder is not generated by the installer in P3Dv3 or v4, but it is easy to add one. Just addit and add the entry to the scenery library and away you go. Just be aware that the better method is to create an autodiscovery add-on.xml file in the P3D Documents Addon locations per the SDK.

I personally would never add such an addon... it sounds like a hatchet job without regard for realism. It might be better to create autogen exclusion rectangles with Airport Design Editor (ADE by Scruffyduck) and add that to the scenery. Depends on the specific location.

Also, it's not unusual to see 100 ft trees or powerlines within 1000 ft of a runway. I've flown into a few of those. Not sure how close and how high you are trying to remove.
Dan Downs
KCRP
gets

Post by gets »

Question answered. I don't fly GA so small airports are not my choice. Thanks for your opinion however.
i7-7700k 4.5 Ghz. 32 G RAM. Nvidia RTX 3060. Samsung 32" monitor. Two Samsung 1TB SSD.
downscc

Post by downscc »

gets wrote: Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:18 pm Question answered. I don't fly GA so small airports are not my choice. Thanks for your opinion however.
I also gave you two solutions, not just an opinion. How to create a addon scenery folder and a suggestion to use exclusion rectangles in the scenery. You are welcome.
Dan Downs
KCRP