Limiting Framerates

Any issues, problems or troubleshooting topics related to the Prepar3D client application.
XtraXpat

Limiting Framerates

Post by XtraXpat »

Hi everyone, as I'm new to the P3D community I've been searching around on how to optimize and get a smooth expierence in the sim. One thing that doesn't make sense for me with a 144hz monitor is limiting my frames at 30. Even when downgrading to 60hz and limiting my framerate at 30 it still seems very choppy, to be clear I'm not experiencing stutters regurally. Is this the norm or am I missing something?
Regards, Ethan
Martyson

Re: Limiting Framerates

Post by Martyson »

XtraXpat wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 12:06 am Hi everyone, as I'm new to the P3D community I've been searching around on how to optimize and get a smooth expierence in the sim. One thing that doesn't make sense for me with a 144hz monitor is limiting my frames at 30. Even when downgrading to 60hz and limiting my framerate at 30 it still seems very choppy, to be clear I'm not experiencing stutters regurally. Is this the norm or am I missing something?
@ XtraXpat ,
Ethan

Which P3D product / version number are you using?

Have you or are you also using other flight simulator programs on your current setup?

What are your system Specs and OS version ?
Best Regards,
Vaughan Martell PP-ASEL (KDTW)
XtraXpat

Post by XtraXpat »

I'm using v5.2. I've used X-Plane 11 up until now and still occasionally using it. I'm on Windows 10 build 19043.1055. For specs I'm running a 5800X, 32gb of RAM at 3200mhz, and a RTX 3060ti.
Regards, Ethan
Martyson

Post by Martyson »

XtraXpat wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 1:32 am I'm using v5.2. I've used X-Plane 11 up until now and still occasionally using it. I'm on Windows 10 build 19043.1055. For specs I'm running a 5800X, 32gb of RAM at 3200mhz, and a RTX 3060ti.
@ XtraXpat ,
Ethan

Ok, I use Xplane 11 also.

Does Xplane 11 work with your monitor?

Is this monitor replacing an older / smaller monitor?
Best Regards,
shermank

Post by shermank »

Here is something that works for me. In Nividia Controller, set for unlimited fps, or as high as your slider will allow depending upon your video driver.
Set VSync to Adaptive, 1/2 the refresh rate. Apply the changes

Now, whatever the refresh rate of your monitor, take one half that number and apply it within the sim to your fps setting. Be sure VSync is off.
Though I am sure there are other factors that apply, doing that with my 75 mgh monitor and a sim setting of 37fps gives me razor sharp images, no stutters, and no difference in performance fps between EA or no EA.

Cheers,
Sherm
XtraXpat

Post by XtraXpat »

Sorry for not getting back to you guys and I appreciate the help but to no avail. I feel like a video can explain this better. It's a little hard to see but it's been driving me nuts as I can't seem to fix these microstutters. It's much more noticeable on my monitor, however a video can show it at least. This is with close to max settings at 35-38 FPS and my CPU OCed to 4.7 Ghz https://drive.google.com/file/d/1BJzVrV ... sp=sharing
Regards, Ethan
shermank

Post by shermank »

Sorry Ethan, but your clip looks good to me, razor sharp images....and I perceived no stuttering. I do have one thought. What happens if you do not overclock, but use the default CPU clock speed?

Sherm
Martyson

Post by Martyson »

XtraXpat wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 1:23 am Sorry for not getting back to you guys and I appreciate the help but to no avail. I feel like a video can explain this better. It's a little hard to see but it's been driving me nuts as I can't seem to fix these microstutters. It's much more noticeable on my monitor, however a video can show it at least. This is with close to max settings at 35-38 FPS and my CPU OCed to 4.7 Ghz https://drive.google.com/file/d/1BJzVrV ... sp=sharing
@ XtraXpat ,
Ethan

You mentioned:
"Sorry for not getting back to you guys and I appreciate the help but to no avail. "
No problem.

Repeat of my last post:
Ok, I use Xplane 11 also.

Does Xplane 11 work with your monitor?

Is this monitor replacing an older / smaller monitor?
Best Regards,
DaveKLay

Post by DaveKLay »

N.B. When you adjust the frame rate slider, it effects the FIBER_FRAME_TIME_FRACTION value, so setting frames to unlimited will cause this to change to 0.01 (something like that), thus, might not give enough time to process textures etc. properly! 👍

As documented;
"FIBER_FRAME_TIME_FRACTION=0.33
Non-Default entry. This entry will not exist in your Prepar3D.cfg file by default and must be added to the file.
Performance Tuning Tip:
This setting, which defaults to a value of .33 (33%), defines the percentage of each frame that is devoted to loading scenery. Increasing this number can reduce "the blurries", but it can cause stutters, and can also reduce the overall frame rate. Try reducing the number to the lowest level where you still get smooth scenery paging. This will vary depending on disk speed as well as the type of flying, as well as the selected scenery options. "

Regards... Dave.
MoBu86

Post by MoBu86 »

Hello Ethan,

I know exactly what you mean I think. It’s not really a stuttering bur more a ghosting or tearing effect that is starting when frames go below 45FPS. Above 45FPS the experience is buttery smooth. My personal guess is that it somehow has to do with the CPU and how P3D uses the CPU ressources. I do not experience this effect in XPL or MSFS2020 so I rule out any potential hardware issues. On top of it I just got a new GPU. Also tried the CPU base clock of my I9900K with Hyperthreading on and off and it didn’t make any changes. HT on actually decreased performance. My work around is to use Chase Plane and increase the camera speed.

Regards
Moritz